Hobbywing ESC question (blinky)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I’m hoping to run next week at The Factory RC raceway in York PA next weekend. They require 13.5’s to run in blinky mode. I have an XR10 Pro G2S 160A (pictured below) when I go in and select the zero timing profile and send it to the ESC the LED does not blink. Am I doing something wrong or is “Blinky mode” just a term that’s used? I just don’t want to get gigged at tech.

IMG_2673.jpeg

What I would do, do like you normally do, plug in your programmer, change the mode to Zero Timing which should be Blinky mode, save settings, unplug programmer, turn off/on esc, recalibrate, and it should be blinking red. Never had any issues with mine which is the legacy version

Ideally if there is no electronic timing like boost and turbo, you should be fine?

During Xmas break I'm looking forward to going to 997 on that Tuesday for some racing. Wanting to go to The Factory too but can't go on Saturdays unless someone takes off.

I was actually on their website earlier checking out the rules and schedule and they say a roar approved lipo. I mean, I got those China ones right now and I'm not spending 100+ (200+ for a pair) of roar approved packs. The China ones I got are still 2s LiPo (well LiHV) but still, I should hopefully still be able to race there. For normal open / club races they should be fine but if its a more people / points series or big event they might be stricter.

You can always ask them when you get there, they are pretty helpful. I would think.

@DavidB1126 yea I did all of that but not the re-calibration. I’ll give that a shot later and see if it makes a difference. Thanks. I think next week is a points race. Hmmm. Now I need a new motor (slot machine) and ROAR batteries… 🤦‍♂️

@DavidB1126 yea I did all of that but not the re-calibration. I’ll give that a shot later and see if it makes a difference. Thanks. I think next week is a points race. Hmmm. Now I need a new motor (slot machine) and ROAR batteries… 🤦‍♂️
Before doing all of that, id just call them or post in the racer page on FB and check in just to make sure if you can run what you have
Oh you already posted. Looks like the Trinity motors are ok for use for this year and are banned for next year and on
Not sure about those "roar approved" batteries
(And this is why id like to move over to mod but ill do what I gotta do / have)
Screenshot 2023-11-12 152858.png

Last edited:
$120 shipped for a 13.5T Slot Machine that is a 5% Certified Team Spec motor, brand new never soldered up, fastest 13.5 you can get!

Horizon is offering a trade in program when they release the Slot Machine 2.0 motors

1699821991056.png

1699822011467.png

Before doing all of that, id just call them or post in the racer page on FB and check in just to make sure if you can run what you have
Oh you already posted. Looks like the Trinity motors are ok for use for this year and are banned for next year and on
Not sure about those "roar approved" batteries
(And this is why id like to move over to mod but ill do what I gotta do / have)
View attachment 174787
They said the Slot machine is fine for this season. Still waiting on a reply on the battery. 🤞

I start my new job right after thanksgiving I can get all my stuff squared away after that.
$120 shipped for a 13.5T Slot Machine that is a 5% Certified Team Spec motor, brand new never soldered up, fastest 13.5 you can get!

View attachment 174788

View attachment 174789
I have a slot machine currently. Does that extra cert mean it conforms to the Roar rules? I’m already on the list for the replacement from Trinity but that could take weeks/months.

I have a slot machine currently. Does that extra cert mean it conforms to the Roar rules? I’m already on the list for the replacement from Trinity but that could take weeks/months.

The 5% Cert means that the rotor is among the strongest magnets and the stator is among the lowest resistance where Trinity tests these components and their pro level team drivers get the 1% stuff and the 5% is sold for a premium where the non cert stuff isn't going to be the fastest you can get.

Not uncommon for team drivers from other brands to buy a dozen motors and test all the components (swapping/matching fast components with fast components) to build their own fast motors and sell off the ones that aren't testing as fast.

Instead of buying a dozen motors and going through all that trouble, it's a lot easier to simply buy a 5% certified motor and guarantee you got a fast motor ;)

Last edited:
What I would do, do like you normally do, plug in your programmer, change the mode to Zero Timing which should be Blinky mode, save settings, unplug programmer, turn off/on esc, recalibrate, and it should be blinking red. Never had any issues with mine which is the legacy version

Ideally if there is no electronic timing like boost and turbo, you should be fine?

During Xmas break I'm looking forward to going to 997 on that Tuesday for some racing. Wanting to go to The Factory too but can't go on Saturdays unless someone takes off.

I was actually on their website earlier checking out the rules and schedule and they say a roar approved lipo. I mean, I got those China ones right now and I'm not spending 100+ (200+ for a pair) of roar approved packs. The China ones I got are still 2s LiPo (well LiHV) but still, I should hopefully still be able to race there. For normal open / club races they should be fine but if its a more people / points series or big event they might be stricter.

You can always ask them when you get there, they are pretty helpful. I would think.
The calibration did the trick! We’re blinkin. I have hopes in the not too distant future to get one of those Tekno mini-truggies. I think what I’ll do is put that 160a hobbywing in that with a 6.5T motor like is recommended on Amain, and buy a cheaper non timing ESC for the B74 with whatever 13.5 I end up with. I’ve already got my 20% coupon from Trinity for the HH site. I wonder if I can apply that to the Tekno kit. 🤔