Hobby Fever closes due to selling to much Traxxas!?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a similar discussion on Reddit not long ago. The person I was speaking with had told me that Traxxas eventually tries to take control of the LHS and starts to instruct them to stop selling other products. Not sure how true it is, but he told me his LHS was run out of business by Traxxas being extremely demanding.

That said, I'm friends with the new owner of the local HobbyTown. He's been working directly with Traxxas and has a WALL full of Traxxas vehicles. Traxxas sends him stacks of "demo" vehicles to run at special events. He's been doing pretty good in sales, as he still has a hard time keeping them in stock. I've witnessed first hand how he's pushing them out the door. To the point that almost every time I am in the store, at least one sells. If there is anybody who is going to grow the hobby, it's him.

As for the topic at hand, there has to be unknown circumstances.

Oh yea, Hi everybody!

What HE said.

Most of us who got into the RC monster truck craze that started almost 20 years ago, started with a Traxxas. Now would be a good time for Traxxas to go out of business. They had a good long run and now they are all about greed and every dollar.
The TMaxx is solely responsible for getting me into the RC hobby. When I saw the TMaxx shift into high gear and then go in reverse... I told my girlfriend that I had to have one. 15 years later, she is now my wife, and regrets that purchase still to this day! LOL!

at the hobby shops near me the guys running the RC sections are saying that they (Traxxas) are no longer allowing them (the LHS) to order/get parts, the only way to get parts is direct from Traxxas online. (i find it funny that Autocorrect option for "Traxxas" is coming up as "Trash" as i type this). I used to be a huge fan of traxxas, and liked what they were doing for the consumers, but as they are continually proving they are after the money more and more, and not for the RC community, i have been staying away from them any chance i get, unless its what my LHS has already had so i can support them still at least.
old post but i 1000000 percent agree with you, everything traxxas (now) does only seems to be for the paper, not for the rc community. I think they are just killing the hobby. I stay away from them as much as I can and I try to support other, smaller, companies that are for the community. Plus, my traxxas vehicles honestly sucked, broke a lot and just weren't good quality at all. except for my old classic nitro 4 tec that thing was great. really disappointed in traxxas.......

The TMaxx is solely responsible for getting me into the RC hobby. When I saw the TMaxx shift into high gear and then go in reverse... I told my girlfriend that I had to have one. 15 years later, she is now my wife, and regrets that purchase still to this day! LOL!
I'm not denying that traxxas has definitely brought lots of people to Rcing, they were one of the most affordable ways to get into RCing back in the day, it was around 120$ for the rustler or 200$+ for an associated. it seems nowadays their model is changing and for us enthusiasts, i feel not for the better or towards our interest, but to capitalize on theirs.

i used to love traxxas don't get me wrong. i started nitro with a traxxas, didnt have the best luck with durability, but i still liked their rigs.
but now coming back after 10 year+ break and seeing what they are doing its... disheartening.

I was hooked on Rc when my B-law showed me his airplane & stack of airplane news magazines ,then it
spiraled out of control to everything that flew ,floated an rolled ,it had nothing to do with a Traxxas ,in fact ,
I had never herd of Traxxas until my other B-law had showed me his E-Maxx 7 yrs later ,but I have to admit ,
that I was jealous of it ,but just could not afford $400 in the 90's!

At that time ,I had planes ,RC10 buggy ,Losi jr 2 ,2 welcraft 29'' boats an even a Kyosho motorcycle.
Most of the stuff was used but the plane an 1 boat that I saved a little at a time to build!

Was not impressed with electric stuff though ,at the time ,batt.s did not last long especially with a
modified twister motor in the Losi Jr 2...LOL

I do have a T-slash now ,but Traxxas didn't get my cash ,someone else did ,an I will never by
a Traxxas vehicle new ,only a part when I have to for the Slash!....

I had decided years ago not to have too much to do with Traxxas ,however ,I did want to see what
all the craze was about the Slash an it being a sct!....

Traxxas, like Tiger Woods helped make RC popular with the bashers and not just racers. Before Traxxas and the whole MT craze that followed RC was really more about the racing world. Traxxas helped bridge that gap. Unfortunately, the downturn in the economy during the 2008-15 timeframe the RC hobby really took a beating financially and we lost Novak and alot of others restructured or closed. We also lost alot of LHS's. Traxxas continues to be innovative in my opinion, but they are big and powerful and power always seems to corrupt. Hopefully there was more to this story than what was reported. Love them or hate them, Traxxas at least at one time was great for the hobby.

Hah, they sold too much and that pissed off traxxas???? I'm done ?? that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, holy crap dude this company is so stupid. Definitely reassures me on not buying any more trucks from them. But, alas, I do agree with the post above me. They did kick off the hobby to a broader market and personally got me involved, so I definitely give credit there, but, as he said, they've sadly took a negative turn.

Back