Hobao Hyper 7 Steering Servo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickyo007

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys,

The steering servo (Hi Tec, HS645 MG) on my Hobao Hyper 7 is continually moving and jerking around involuntarily. So when the car is stationary at idle, the wheels will keep moving small amounts, left and right... Any ideas why this is happening or how to stop it please??

Switch the throttle and steering servo plugs with each other and see if the servo still twitches. Or plug in another servo to where that one is plugged in to see if it twitches too.
Then you’ll know if it’s the servo or the tx/rx

How old is the servo, have you splashed water on it...be honest!

If the servo is old then the mechanism that find centre on the servo might’ve gone bad.

Definitely no water!
It’s a decent Servo (Hi Tec, HS645 MG)
It’s about 5 years old but has hardly been used!

Does it do it when the engine isn't running or only when the engine is running?

What are you using for receiver power? An AA holder or a NiMH receiver pack?

Have you tried moving the servo plug to the throttle slot and see if the twitching still occurs?

It does it when the engine is running

I use a CS Electronic C120403 NiMH RX Straight Pack 6 V 1600 mAh Battery Black

I’ve just tried swapping the positions around on the receiver and know that has reversed everything on my tx, despite me trying to switch the reverse switches. So that can’t be right...

Now only the trigger on my tx turns the wheels so I’m putting it back to how it was

If it only does it when the engine is running, could be your receiver is dodgy or you have a loose connection somewhere that vibration is causing fits for. AM is pretty susceptible to interference and any rubbing of metal or whatever on the truck when running can cause it to freak out a bit.

The reason people ask you to switch the plugs on the receiver is for testing purposes only. So you can see if the servo reacts the same way with the jitter when running. It's not intended for you to drive or readjust everything on your remote, just literally, switch the plugs, start it, see if the issue still exists and/or has moved to the other servo that is now plugged into the steering port, then shut everything back off and put things back. Doing this can help you isolate if it's the servo being bad or the receiver.

So, if you switch the plugs for your servos, turn it all on, start it up and see that now your throttle servo is jittery, that means the issue is between the receiver and power source. But, if the steering servo is still the only one being jittery, then the issue is more than likely the servo itself.

Thank you for your advice

I was about to explain the purpose of switching the positions of the servos but I see @olds97_lss has explained it perfectly. It's just for testing, to see if the same servo will twitch in a different channel and if the other servo will twitch instead. Does the car steering get twitchy when you're driving? Most of the older AM systems would cause servo twitch when the radio was too close to the car while it was idling. Put the radio about 20 feet from the car and then see if the servos have smoothed out any while it's idling.

You really should look into getting a 2.4 Tx system. They can be had for less than $40 and will be interference free compared to the old AM radios. AM systems have messed up due to electrical systems nearby and even CB radios in the area.
Go to Ebay and check out the Flysky radios.

Last edited:
Does this model have the new receiver??

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/264621/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI57_e8f-Z2wIVhgrTCh1fcw6KEAkYASABEgIeQvD_Bw

Also what’s better the 21 or 28 engine??

Thank you
Yes.

- 2.4ghz Hobao radio system

.28 vs .21 is a cheap way to get more power into an RTR. Going with a larger displacement engine pretty much guarantees more low end torque than a comparable quality .21 engine. Lower fuel economy, less RPM's, but more power.

20 years ago, you could get a cheap RTR .21 or middle ground .21 for twice the price or a race .21 for 3 times the price if not more. The cheap RTR engine gets you started and for many bashers, was enough. But as with anything that has an engine, more power is always better and if you can get more power cheaply... well, that's just gravy. 10+ years or so ago, larger than .21 engines became pretty common in most RTR big block vehicles. For many years, it was difficult to decide which .26-.28 you wanted from $100-$200. There were a lot of them.

Anyway, history aside, an RTR .21 is typically not as powerful as an RTR .28.

i had jerky servo in my am radio turns out the antenna on the receiver was bad. i soldered a new antenna wire and it stopped. i also put in glitch buster cap just cuz i had one

Back