HiTech HS 5645MG / Nitro Rustler problems?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdizz

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok, well i just recently installed a hitech Servo HS-5645MG and had to replace the switch and went ahead and got the hump pack. (BTW huge difference in torque with the hump pack)

When i was testing it i noticed that the left wheel was turning more than the right and when turning to the left the servo actually looks like it is hitting something... Not sure at all how to fix this? Is it an adjustment do i have the servo saver installed incorrectly? I did center it before installing.

Something else I noticed is the toe/camber is way off. Is there a good video online that can go through the adjustment steps? I can't seem to find any on the nitro rustler.

Here is a video of the problem.

That crazy noise in the background... I gave my dog a bone...

Is this something as simple as turning wheel all the way left holding and adjust trim to compensate?

first thing I see is that you're using the wrong link for the steering servo. Unless you have a newer model and theyve changed something. Neither of my Rustys have the "nut" in the middle of the servo link. You seem to be using a short turnbuckle instead. The turnbuckles have a bigger head on them and thats one of the reasons why its hitting the chassis. Also your servo horn should be sitting at 90degrees pointing straight up. the make sure your tires and as close to straight as you can get them and then adjust the length of the servo link to the right size to fill the gap.

As for toe and cmaber, RPM makes some cheap tools that help you set both. I believe both tools can be had for about $30 bucks. I love mine.

first thing I see is that you're using the wrong link for the steering servo. Unless you have a newer model and theyve changed something. Neither of my Rustys have the "nut" in the middle of the servo link. You seem to be using a short turnbuckle instead. The turnbuckles have a bigger head on them and thats one of the reasons why its hitting the chassis. Also your servo horn should be sitting at 90degrees pointing straight up. the make sure your tires and as close to straight as you can get them and then adjust the length of the servo link to the right size to fill the gap.

As for toe and cmaber, RPM makes some cheap tools that help you set both. I believe both tools can be had for about $30 bucks. I love mine.

Everything on it is stock. Including the servo saver. With the exception of the servo of course.

hmmm that odd cause neither of mine have the turnbuckle in the middle and the one time I got mixed up and put a small turnbuckle there I had a problem with it hitting the chassis just like yours....

Ok, I did some looking and the nitro version looks like they do use a turnbuckle there but if you look at the VXL (mine are both electric) they dont have the turnbuckle...odd...anyway I guess what Id do then is set the servo horn forward just enough so that it couldnt hit the chassis and then make the wheels straight and adjust the length of the link until it matches what you need and try it that way?

I did what you suggested seems to have solved the problem. Now I got to get the alignment corrected.

I did what you suggested seems to have solved the problem. Now I got to get the alignment corrected.
Here's a good tutorial series on setting up your buggy, your wheel issue should be fixed bu adjusting a turnbuckle until it's centered: