HG P407 Bruiser Clone trans mods

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnskevin58

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Hello all with the HG bruiser clone or even the Tamiya Rerelease bruiser I have done some mods to the transmission.

Being I crawl, I decided to convert to all gear 4wheel drive using the Robinson Racing 22t gear.
The gear needs to be narrowed if you want to keep all 3-speeds. I had mine set up to run all 3-speeds, but I didn't like having to use the servo constantly to keep the trans in the lowest gear. So, I rearranged the medium and low gears and the counter gears as well to give me (low when the servo is in neutral), then when I downshift to medium, and upshift to high, much like a real gearbox throw.
It worked great. 4WD in all gears.
Then, not liking the medium gear at all, I bought another Robinson racing gear but didn't grind it narrower. I removed the 4-axis drive gear's hex and hex pin that sits underneath it from the transmission, and this allowed the Robinson racing gear to fit perfectly without grinding it narrower to fit but doing so makes it, so the lowest gear won't engage (At this point I had already rearranged the med/low gears) as the hex is removed. So, I was left with a 2-speed tranny that had (low and High) only. So now I am in the lowest gear ratio and only use the servo when I need some extra wheel rpm for mud or whatnot.

So now when the servo is in neutral the trans is in the lowest gear and when I upshift it goes into High gear. This is a bonus as I crawl and didn't like having to run the servo constantly to keep the tranny in low.

I also installed the Hot Racing hardened steel spur gear.
Works flawlessly with way less wear and tear on the servo and transmission.
Pictures are of the rearranged med and low gears.
DSCN6303.JPG
DSCN6306.JPG
DSCN6361.JPG

Good stuff, I'm still at the rtr with light mods stage. Gearing and electronics tend to go right over my head. Probably because it's mostly math. :doh:

Good stuff, I'm still at the rtr with light mods stage. Gearing and electronics tend to go right over my head. Probably because it's mostly math. :doh:
Do you have a HG or Tamiya bruiser by chance?

Hello all with the HG bruiser clone or even the Tamiya Rerelease bruiser I have done some mods to the transmission.

Being I crawl, I decided to convert to all gear 4wheel drive using the Robinson Racing 22t gear.
The gear needs to be narrowed if you want to keep all 3-speeds. I had mine set up to run all 3-speeds, but I didn't like having to use the servo constantly to keep the trans in the lowest gear. So, I rearranged the medium and low gears and the counter gears as well to give me (low when the servo is in neutral), then when I downshift to medium, and upshift to high, much like a real gearbox throw.
It worked great. 4WD in all gears.
Then, not liking the medium gear at all, I bought another Robinson racing gear but didn't grind it narrower. I removed the 4-axis drive gear's hex and hex pin that sits underneath it from the transmission, and this allowed the Robinson racing gear to fit perfectly without grinding it narrower to fit but doing so makes it, so the lowest gear won't engage (At this point I had already rearranged the med/low gears) as the hex is removed. So, I was left with a 2-speed tranny that had (low and High) only. So now I am in the lowest gear ratio and only use the servo when I need some extra wheel rpm for mud or whatnot.

So now when the servo is in neutral the trans is in the lowest gear and when I upshift it goes into High gear. This is a bonus as I crawl and didn't like having to run the servo constantly to keep the tranny in low.

I also installed the Hot Racing hardened steel spur gear.
Works flawlessly with way less wear and tear on the servo and transmission.
Pictures are of the rearranged med and low gears.
View attachment 154340View attachment 154341View attachment 154342
I just purchased the Hg p407 do you only need the 2 gears from Robinson & Hot Racing I want all 3 gears what pinion size for the motor? Any other gears? I run Outrunner motors 5mm shaft
Any other parts besides the 2 Robinson & Hot Racing gears What pinion size are you using on the motor I run outrunner motors I would like to run all 3 gears

I just purchased the Hg p407 do you only need the 2 gears from Robinson & Hot Racing I want all 3 gears what pinion size for the motor? Any other gears? I run Outrunner motors 5mm shaft
Any other parts besides the 2 Robinson & Hot Racing gears What pinion size are you using on the motor I run outrunner motors I would like to run all 3 gears
You only need one Robinson gear. I ran my tranny with only 2 gears so I didn't have to grind the gear, the other Robinson gear I mention I ground down for all 3 gears. Both Robinson gears are the same part number and gear. I gave the part number for, the Hot Racing gear too. The HOT racing gear is metal but not really needed.
I lot of what I am explaining is how to rearrange the internal gears to have the truck run in low, 2nd, then 3rd, in order vs 2nd, low, 3rd.

The Pinion gears are known as (Tamiya Pinion) Doesn't really have a gear pitch or mm size like today's cars and truck pinions do. They are called and referred to them as (Tamiya Pinions) Used on all the older Tamiya trucks. If that helps.

I was having a hard time finding the right pinions, I went into a small hobby shop and showed the old guy my pinion, he glanced at it and said it's a old style "Tamiya Pinion" he didn't have a pinion to fit my truck. Then he told me the pitch was different than all the new pinions. That I had to search for Tamiya pinions.

Image is from ebay to show you what to search for. No new pinion will work, the new mm pinions feel like they mesh up but when running they don't really mesh right.
You have to use an "Old Style Tamiya Pinion" Most will say Bruiser like seen in the image below. Hope that helps.

As far as the 5mm shaft from motor, I run RC4WD motors. I have no clue what the shaft mm size is. Robinson does make reducer shafts and enlarging shafts to fit different mm pinions on different motor shafts. If that helps.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 091533.jpg

Last edited:
You only need one Robinson gear. I ran my tranny with only 2 gears so I didn't have to grind the gear, the other Robinson gear I mention I ground down for all 3 gears. Both Robinson gears are the same part number and gear. I gave the part number for, the Hot Racing gear too. The HOT racing gear is metal but not really needed.
I lot of what I am explaining is how to rearrange the internal gears to have the truck run in low, 2nd, then 3rd, in order vs 2nd, low, 3rd.

The Pinion gears are known as (Tamiya Pinion) Doesn't really have a gear pitch or mm size like today's cars and truck pinions do. They are called and referred to them as (Tamiya Pinions) Used on all the older Tamiya trucks. If that helps.

I was having a hard time finding the right pinions, I went into a small hobby shop and showed the old guy my pinion, he glanced at it and said it's a old style "Tamiya Pinion" he didn't have a pinion to fit my truck. Then he told me the pitch was different than all the new pinions. That I had to search for Tamiya pinions.

Image is from ebay to show you what to search for. No new pinion will work, the new mm pinions feel like they mesh up but when running they don't really mesh right.
You have to use an "Old Style Tamiya Pinion" Most will say Bruiser like seen in the image below. Hope that helps.

As far as the 5mm shaft from motor, I run RC4WD motors. I have no clue what the shaft mm size is. Robinson does make reducer shafts and enlarging shafts to fit different mm pinions on different motor shafts. If that helps.

View attachment 168731
Thanks for the help ya my motor has a 5mm shaft Ill take a look never knew they were different pinions
Do you know if they make the pinion in a 5mm bore for brushless motors?
The pinion is called a 0.6 mod pinion hope this helps folks

Last edited:
Thanks for the help ya my motor has a 5mm shaft Ill take a look never knew they were different pinions
Do you know if they make the pinion in a 5mm bore for brushless motors?
The pinion is called a 0.6 mod pinion hope this helps folks
I have one final question what side of that pinion do you need to grind & how much do you need to remove 🤔 Thanks for all the help great thread

Back