Help with Traxxas stampede

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benellibrian

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey new here . I have a stampede vxl 3s 4x4 . I have new batteries in both controller and truck . The problem is it runs intermittently. If i have it close by or in my hand it will rev up . But drop it down and drive it and its intermittent and then reciever turns red . Turn it off back on and it will work about 6 ft away then go off again . Wondering what needs to be replaced . It is definitely a electric issue . Traxxas was no help . Thanks for any input . Thinking esc

id look at receivers antenna.. id say its cut where rx antenna comes out the waterproof container... also be rx plug on esc might be going bad .. the red and blk wire will read a low voltage under 6 but not less than 4 volts dc

I suspect a bad on/off switch on ESC or low transmitter batteries. Put new transmitter batteries in and re bind and calibrate.

Last edited:
on/off switch usually will not do the things listed... it will not power anything .no esc no rx . so no movement.. a failing bec(esc) will do exactly what was in 1st post ops post.. also a little fyi. just because its rated for 3 cells dont mean you can run 3 cells from fresh charge to lvc this put alot of strain on electronics and gives them a shorter life id go down to 2 cells and gear up a few from stock and run it that way but take a couple breaks to let things cool off

If the ecs isn't programmed and calibrated correctly due to a bad a bad switch it will act like this. I had the same problem. I had to calibrate and program the esc and I couldn't because the switch was bad and I didn't have the program card. I needed to set the BEC voltage and it would do the same thig as this. Fixed the switch and then I could calibrate and program the ESC. Nothing is set at the factory for RTR. If this fails then get a new ESC.

When the motor stops, will it still turn the servo via the steering wheel? Or do you get nothing at all out of the truck when this happens?

Motor stops everything stops the reciever will be blinking red . It will not go full throttle. Just inches along and occasionally gets part throttle. So another thing I noticed. When I pulled cover off of receiver I accidentally put the forward reverse wire on extra number 1 port for steering and when I turned to right the truck would go full throttle while turning . But when I put it back in right port same thing no throttle .

Time to remove all the electronics. Test the receiver with a on/off switch in the battery slot on the receiver and 4-5 cell receiver battery pack Put servo's in the 1 and 2 slots and see if everything works fine. Figure out what channel is what and then test the ESC in the throttle channel. If all checks out put everything back in.

Back