Help with debugging wltoys 144010

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanansh

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My wltoys stop responding. ESC steady red light. How can I debug if is the receiver or ESC or remote or neither?
I am new to RC , my boy is sad 😢
Please help.

Maybe he played with the receiver cables. I don't know if this is the right connection

1688138756095719001450715184394.jpg

16881387910961339567628082275162.jpg

channel 1 turn( servo)
channel 2 burn .( esc)
charge lipo
calibrate esc
can't find manual so dont know why its red.

Basicly what @tntpoof said. 1 to turn, 2 to burn. Make sure all batteries is fully charged and balanced. (car, and transmitter batteries) Re calibrate esc.

The red light could mean esc or motor thermal if you ran the car and it overheated, or battery voltage too low.

Make sure that deans connector is plugged in all the way. ;)

Yea, can't find any sort of manual.

If the esc has a selectable nimh/lipo mode, it could be in a nimh mode (no LVC)

Basicly what @tntpoof said. 1 to turn, 2 to burn. Make sure all batteries is fully charged and balanced. (car, and transmitter batteries) Re calibrate esc.

The red light could mean esc or motor thermal if you ran the car and it overheated, or battery voltage too low.

Make sure that deans connector is plugged in all the way. ;)

Yea, can't find any sort of manual.

If the esc has a selectable nimh/lipo mode, it could be in a nimh mode (no LVC)
How do I change the mode? Red light is immediate as it starts. Where does the receiver gets it's power from? From the esc? I measured only 0.4 v while the battery is 7.5v. can I test the receiver as stand alone? The PVC says 15v on the printed circuit
channel 1 turn( servo)
channel 2 burn .( esc)
charge lipo
calibrate esc
can't find manual so dont know why its red.
How to calibrate esc?
How do I know which is ch1?
Where does the receiver gets it's power from? From the esc? I measured only 0.4 v while the battery is 7.5v. can I test the receiver as stand alone? The PVC says 15v on the printed circuit

How do I change the mode?
Well, I'm not sure if it has a selectabe nimh/lipo mode....

Where does the receiver gets it's power from? From the esc?
Yes, you plug the battery into the esc, the esc goes into channel 2 in your receiver (throttle trigger on your transmitter), servo in channel 1 (steering wheel on your transmitter)
How do I know which is ch1?
The receiver should have it labeled. If not, thats cheap stuff for you.

Your battery is at 7.5v right now (3.75 per cell) so its on storage charge, balance charge it first before testing out anything. Charge it to 8.4v (4.2v/cell)
I measured only 0.4 v while the battery is 7.5v. can I test the receiver as stand alone?
The power to the receiver should not be .4 volts. Ideally it should be anywhere between 5-7.4v depending how much voltage the servo can handle (selectable by BEC in the esc (if it has internal BEC) or buy an external BEC)

can't see it clear enough. are the rx plugs in correct oreintation?.to me channel 2 is different to channel 1.

where does channel 1 ? left hand side or right hand side?
This ^^^^
Always unplug LiPos after use, or any lithium batteries after use.
Like I said, the battery was on storage charge, or storage voltage, so balance charge to 8.4 (4.2v/cell).
esc is in safe mode due to battery being under charged .charge battery should be close to 8.4 volts.un plug battery after use
how do you know it is in safe mode? Can I change the min voltage safe threshold? what's wrong with low voltage? The battery says "7.4v" so why does it has to be more than that?

Last edited:
where does channel 1 ? left hand side or right hand side?
Not sure because it's not labeled. Check out and see.
how do you know it is in safe mode? Can I change the min voltage safe threshold? what's wrong with low voltage? The battery says "7.4v" so why does it has to be more than that
7.4v on a 2s lipo means the nominal or storage voltage (which is 3.7v/cell). A fully charged 2s LiPo is 8.4v at 4.2v/cell.
If the ESC is programmable, yes you can change the LVC or LVD / threshold.
If it's low voltage like 3.3, 3.2 v/cell, it's not fully charged and stuff might not work right.
Heck even the whole battery can be dead or unbalanced. Check it on a charger or a little balance cell checker.

Ok i charged the battery but still no luck. I bought in aliexpress a new esc and now the led in the receiver is red so i guess it was an issue with the esc. However now i dont have steering. Tried to change channels between servo and engine. Now engine works with turning but throtle does not turn servo. Maybe my servo is dead as well? Oh boy. What did i do wrong for so many parts to brake at the same time? I also bought a new receiver but i cannot couple it to my remote.
Ok i charged the battery but still no luck. I bought in aliexpress a new esc and now the led in the receiver is red so i guess it was an issue with the esc. However now i dont have steering. Tried to change channels between servo and engine. Now engine works with turning but throtle does not turn servo. Maybe my servo is dead as well? Oh boy. What did i do wrong for so many parts to brake at the same time? I also bought a new receiver but i cannot couple it to my remote.
Esc
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! ₪53.44 66%OFF | Waterproof 45A 60A 80A 120A Brushless ESC Electric Speed Controller Dust-proof for 1/8 1/10 1/12 RC Car Crawler RC Boat Part
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804845905950.html

Receiver

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! ₪23.91 38%OFF | Remote Control Car 4CH Brushless Receiver Simulation Crawler Upgrade Part Replacement for WLtoys 124016 124017 144010
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804845232674.html

Just found this thread. I have the exact same problem with the exact same car. Bought it few days ago with exact same 3600mah battery from Ali.

Worked fine yesterday, turned it on today and it ran for 30 seconds. Then steering and throttle just stopped working. Been searching for a fix for hours and came across this.

Any luck so far finding the fault?

Hi,
I ended up buying replacement parts so I can debug.
Unfortunately all the electronic was malfunction except the motor. I suspect the root cause was the battery connected to the car at storage but I am not sure.
Here are the parts I have bought:

Servo - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803970632658.html
ESC - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804845905950.html
The cable diameter didnt fit but duct tape worked. There are adapters you can buy.

RCV - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804845232674.html

It took me a while to replace these as I am a beginner but it finally runs. It also seems the parts are better quality than the original

Thanks for reply. Seems mine is the same way although both batteries were fully charged. Will try and see if I can get a refund as only 3 days old