Help with 1/10 and 1/12 scale pan cars

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy Blue

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to get my Team Associated RC10 pan car running again. I would like to keep my current esc and engine, but welcome thoughts on what may work better. I want to have fun with this car, with my young son, not planning to race or anything like that. I am currently using the novak atom and reedy mach II motor. The motor uses a 24 tooth gear and fits very tightly against the spur gear. I could shear the top of the screws above the locking nut that might give the motor more room, but if there is a smaller motor, that might be a better option. I would love some suggestions for a brushed motor replacement. Also what is the number of turns I should look for in a motor for this car?

Separately, I recently purchased a 1/12 scale crc carpet knife ck25 ar. It was somewhat in an error as I thought i was purchasing the same size car as the above and could swap over some of the parts. I was wrong obviously :). I currently have a novak explorer esc i would not mind getting running again. So i would welcome a good brushed motor recommendation for this car as well. I am however opened to a brushless setup as well and welcome suggestions.

Thanks in advance, I am looking forward to getting back into this hobby!

I have a RC10L also. I have an old Reedy Mach2. It is a 540 size motor. I have also owed and race 1/12 scale cars. They also used 540 motors. even the pinion and spur gears are usually interchangeable. Just be careful of gear pitch. I sounds like you may have no room for adjustment on the motor mount. You may need a smaller pinion or spur. There are 3 different gear pitches I have found on pan cars. 32 pitch is a real coarse gear usually on real old cars. 64 pitch is very fine and 48 pitch kind of medium, probably the most common now.
There is nothing wrong with what you have as long as it functions. I have a few old electronics pieces and they function just fine. I you plan on using Lipo batteries you will need to be careful an the old speed controls don't have voltage cutoffs to prevent the Lipo from discharging too much.
If you choose to go brushless I would suggest Hobbywing as a reliable and economical place to start. I hope I helped a little bit.

I have a RC10L also. I have an old Reedy Mach2. It is a 540 size motor. I have also owed and race 1/12 scale cars. They also used 540 motors. even the pinion and spur gears are usually interchangeable. Just be careful of gear pitch. I sounds like you may have no room for adjustment on the motor mount. You may need a smaller pinion or spur. There are 3 different gear pitches I have found on pan cars. 32 pitch is a real coarse gear usually on real old cars. 64 pitch is very fine and 48 pitch kind of medium, probably the most common now.
There is nothing wrong with what you have as long as it functions. I have a few old electronics pieces and they function just fine. I you plan on using Lipo batteries you will need to be careful an the old speed controls don't have voltage cutoffs to prevent the Lipo from discharging too much.
If you choose to go brushless I would suggest Hobbywing as a reliable and economical place to start. I hope I helped a little bit.
Thank you for the feedback. I ended up going with a castle brushless motor and sidewinder esc. I went with a 64 pitch motor gear as well. The cyclone esc seems to be doing well with the liopos, but I will definitely keep an eye on that. If it ends up being too fast I wi adjust the esc for sure.

Also painting my first ever body, wish me luck!

First, I'm new to this forum. Will be checking out the categories, to see where else within the forum I might find help, or be of assistance to others.

As for this thread, my reason for posting is because I'm interested in getting a pan car. I hand quite a few vehicles & vessels in other areas of RC, and am (at minimum) fairly knowledgeable in those areas...but, in regards to Pan Cars, I guess you might say, "I know less than nothing." I race in other areas (land, as well as on water), but have no specific plans on racing the Pan Car (my local track currently has no Pan Car class(es), and the track where I will soon be moving is making some 'changes', so there's no way of knowing whether, or not, they will). In other words, I'll probably use it for my own enjoyment...not "bashing", but somewhere between "bashing" and "personal racing". As such, I'm not 'stuck' to only 1/12 scale...thus, leading to my question.

WHICH might be the better/smarter scale to go with for someone who's never owned/ran a Pan Car? I understand that 1/12 is (for the most part) 'quicker', and 1/10 scale is more 'stable'...and, that's about as much as I kn ow, or understand. I've been looking at both scales, have been researching available models for both, and have narrowed down possible choices ('finalists' include chassis kits from XRAY, CRC, and RJ Speed). So, in truth, I guess there's a second part to my question, that being, between these three brands, how would you rank them? For buggies & TC (which I use for USGT), I'm quite familiar with XRAY...but, from what (little) I've read, CRC & RJ Speed appear to be better-known brands for Pan Cars. Any"assistance"...for"best" scale (for me), and for "better" brand choice(s)...would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, in advance, for whatever (helpful) info can be provided.

Back