Help this nitro diehard find the light in brushless (I'm completely lost)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastio

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Alright first question, what are the amp ratings on brushless escs? And how should I base my motor choice around it? Would a 60a esc be ok with a 3900kv motor and a 2s 50c 4500mah lipo? (Yes I've used search btw) I've never fussed with brushless before, so I need sort of a chrash course in it. Another question, anyone ever use hobbywing or hobbyking escs? And which be recommended? (Doing a budget build)

Would be great for opinions and suggestions :)

That should be fine. Let's break it down a bit: 60 Amps is the maximum amount of current that particular ESC will draw. 3900kV is the amount of RPM*1000 per Volt. 2s is a 2-cell LiPo (7.4v) and the C rating has to do with the current out, but I'm a bit fuzzy on that one. Check the voltage that ESC is capable of and that will tell you how many cells you need to run at a time.

So lets say a 3900kv motor draws 85 max Amps, It's probably best to get an esc that has a 100 amp max?

It's best to get a matched set, esc and motor combo. What are you powering with a brushless system?

C rating is how much amperage the battery can deliver. If your esc is trying to pull more current than the battery can deliver it'll fry the esc and/or battery.

1000 mah (milliamp hours) is one amp hour. Multiply the mah times your C rating to figure out the (C)ontinuous discharge rate.....C rating.

Say your esc requires 100 amp hours continuous, you need a battery with a rating of 4000 mah and 25c, or 100,000. You should always get one with more, but you could also use a battery with 5000mah at 20c (also 100,000). All that matters is your battery making enough current to match or exceed the esc rating....Just multiply the mah times the C rating.

Yup, and there should be a recommended c rating for it too. I would get a battery with that c rating and st least 1000 mah higher than recommended.
Will it run 3s?

It's saying that it can run 2-4s. And i just picked out a 4500mah 40c Lipo for it. Really the more mah the merrier right?

Yeah you're good now, just make sure you take proper care of it with a balance charger and lipo fireproof sack or safe.

Be prepared to buy new drive-line parts. A good brushless setup can snap drive shafts.

Back