help me with rc boat scratch build I'm a noob

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJP

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, just recently got into RC and decided to build a 1/10 scale wood boat (scale Glasspar Seafair sedan). just got all the electronics for it and I’m having trouble hooking stuff up and getting it to work.

I got a 1600 kv brushless motor and I'm having trouble with it even when attached to esc

thanks
Eddie
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hey, just recently got into RC and decided to build a 1/10 scale wood boat (scale Glasspar Seafair sedan). just got all the electronics for it and I’m having trouble hooking stuff up and getting it to work.

I got a 1600 kv brushless motor and I'm having trouble with it even when attached to esc

thanks
Eddie
View attachment 130291View attachment 130292View attachment 130293View attachment 130294
Welcome to the forum.

What trouble are you having? The only thing I see in the pics is your barrel connectors are unshielded. They need heat shrink over the exposed metal areas. Since you have the battery hooked up I assume you have tried running it like this? If so, that is not good if those barrels were touching each other like they are in the pic.

Nice job on the boat!

Last edited:
So far so good on the boat, and I agree with @WickedFog , you are going to have a problem if those bare connecters touch each other.

Welcome to the forum.

What trouble are you having? The only thing I see in the pics is your barrel connectors are unshielded. They need heat shrink over the exposed metal areas. Since you have the battery hooked up I assume you have tried running it like this? If so, that is not good if those barrels were touching each other like they are in the pic.

Nice job on the boat!
thanks, I was having trouble with even getting the motor to spin. not sure if it’s because I bought different brands. I had the wires loosely soldered in.

have you calibrated esc to radio?.solder those connectors along with heat shrink them.

Is it just me or does that motor look way to big for that ESC and LiPo?
I was thinking the same thing, but because the battery is plugged in, those wiring issues between the motor and ESC drew my attention away.

i mean the battery is ok for testing purposes but too small to run on. The bigger issue though is that looks like 1/8 scale motor and a 60A 1/10 Scale ESC

So far so good on the boat, and I agree with @WickedFog , you are going to have a problem if those bare connecters touch each other.
ok thanks I just soldered those bullet plug things and heat shrink them. Motor finally works but my ESC seems to get very hot not sure if it’s because my motors too big but it gets off even if my motor is not running
i mean the battery is ok for testing purposes but too small to run on. The bigger issue though is that looks like 1/8 scale motor and a 60A 1/10 Scale ESC
Yeah this battery is not for the real thing just a cheap battery, I have a 120A ESC running this motor not sure if it’s enough. When I run it the motor randomly stops and then I’ll come back to it 10 minutes later and it works

Last edited:
ok thanks I just soldered those bullet plug things and heat shrink them. Motor finally works but my ESC seems to get very hot not sure if it’s because my motors too big but it gets off even if my motor is not running

Yeah this battery is not for the real thing just a cheap battery, I have a 120A ESC running this motor not sure if it’s enough. When I run it the motor randomly stops and then I’ll come back to it 10 minutes later and it works
you're probably hitting a thermal shutdown. You need a bigger ESC for that motor. The ESC looks to be for 1/10 scale and the motor looks to be for 1/8 Scale. You need something more like a Mamba Monster 2 or a Mamba Monster X to run that motor. Either that or you need a smaller motor.

ok thanks

Yea ,everything in the pic that you showed was wrong an the components isnt
a very good match!
The battery is also too small for that application ,I would say ,look into the boat
parts an see about a boat ESC an a smaller motor with a reasonable cheap 2 cell
Lipo 2500 to 4000 mah. battery!..

I'm not a boat guy so i could be wrong but isnt the ESC also supposed to have some sort of water jacket on it also?

thanks
Eddie
View attachment 130291View attachment 130292View attachment 130293View attachment 130294
COOL ! Hope my post is relavant and timely. Your woodworking skills are much better than mine ! I just use power tools to quickly turn lumber into piles of sawdust:) Did you consider wood boat kits before jumping to a complete scratch build ? DUMAS makes some good wood kits. https://www.dumasproducts.com/product-category/boat-kits/. You seem to be leaning to FAST SPEED BOAT. There are some fast kit nitros at http://www.zippkits.com. If you get interested in more scale appearing boats look at ships from MOUNTFLEET MODELS https://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/ . If you get interested in kit SAILBOATS, look at TIPPECANOE BOATS https://tippecanoeboats.com/which-rc-sailboat-is-right-for-me. I have one of their T-37 racing sloops in my Winter building que.

I'm with gray wolf on that one your ESC and motor both need circulating water around them or the ESC will kick out. Great carving skills. The boat has to go fast enough to force water around both and then out or, some type of small pump but that just makes for more draw on the battery. Heat is your enemy in an enclosed space.

GREY WOLF and OLD FART, I concur if the goal is go-fast. To that end my SPARTAN has TWO water inlet ports and an internal pump to keep my battery, motor and ESC from getting toasted when I am roostertailing it down at the pond. Water return is handled through an RC Plane through bulkhead fuel fitting. Wiring the larger diameter plastic ( fuel ) cooling tubing helps a bit with leaks. Scale and Sail ? These are more leisurely so less of a need for copious amounts of cooling. Wonder if PELETIER EFFECT COOLING might be effective ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling ).

I'm familiar with the peltier design similar to what I have in my camper for a heater and air conditioner but if you seen a system that small that could be applied to an RC boat your way ahead of me brother. Sounds like you could teach us a few things.

Now you did it. I can't sleep thinking about your question LOL Just seems like having to apply heat to make cold is a catch-22 chase your tail kind of situation not to mention more battery power which equates to more weight and heat from the batteries in an enclosed area. Being it's a home build couldn't you just go with a small heat sink fan along with water jackets (tubing)?

thanks
Eddie
That ESC is the wrong one for a boat. With the motor you have, you need, at the very least, a 130A, but, 180A would be much better. As for the ESC itself, i would go with a Sea King: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/seaking-130a-hv-v3-esc (this is the 130A), and this is the 180A: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/seaking-180a-v3-esc Yes, i know they are expensive, but, even with a smaller boat the last thing you want is to watch all your hard work go up in flames. You need an ESC that is water cooled the same way the motor is. As for a battery, with that motor, i wouldnt go anything less than 3S, with at least 4000MAH and a 50C rating minimum. Boats and cheap electronics rarely, if ever, mix well. Are you going to run a separate water pump? you're best bet would take the time to go through Off Shore Electrics site, since all they do is RC boats, and look through their tips and tricks: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/ Their site has helped me immensely over the years with my boats.

EDIT: I just looked up the specs for that motor. It is a 4082 1600KV motor, and, at bare minimum, you need a 130A ESC. These are the specs for that motor: Item No.: 4082 1600KV Motor for RC Boat, RPM: 50000, Watt: 3400W, Max current: 110A, Max voltage: 30V. Going by the specs, You would be cutting it close on either a SeaKing 120A Pro, or a SeaKing 130A.

Last edited: