Help me pick a motor......

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lason

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK guys, I have put my Maxx on the back burner and am concentrating on a RC10GT FT I recently purchased. The truck got to me dirty as sin and I have just about got her clean again ( I HATE dirty trucks) and have found the O.S. .12 CV-Hyper that was in her to be a little low on compression. I have priced a complete rebuild and it comes out to just about $85 but I was thinking about getting a new motor for her but need to figure out which one. My last GT had a picco .12 in it when I got it and after about 1 1/2 gallons it lost all compression so I threw in a Top CT-12 and loved the heck out of it but that was about 2 1/2 years ago and I am just now trying to get back into racing so I havent followed along with the current motors. I would like something with some definate power to help me catch up to the rest of the pack on the straights untill I get back into my old racing groove :hehe: . My budget would probably allow for around $200 or less and give me some links to where I can get some good prices. Thanks in advance.

Lason

Sorry guys, I am deffinatly looking for a bump start. Eddy, I was under the assumption that the "TR" series motors were built for touring cars because of their power/tourqe curves. I did look at them a while back though and was wondering about where to get a header to work with the rear exhaust. I am still thinking about just rebuilding the CV-hyper but just wanted to explore my options. Keep the opinions coming guys, I appreciate every one of them.

Well here is my suggestion man and these are some nice engines I have a slide version and love it...
O.S. .12 CV-R (S) w/10ER Rotary Carb 92 bucks at tower

Description Power (bhp @ rpm)

12 CV Hyper 10E 0.56@29,000

12 CV-R(S) 10E 1.00@31,000

This almost twice the power and its new..For 10 bucks more than a rebuild.. Again this is my suggestion OS motors are easy to tune and run damn good. This should work fine considering you are running a short shaft enigne ow? X

Also don't hate me cause I am dirty

Very nice price! isnt the cv-r the highest hp engine in the cv series? Also I really like the smoothness of my maxx with the slide carb and was wondering if anyone has a slide on their GT? Anyway thanks for the input X. Keep 'em coming.
Lason

Yeah I run the same engine in my gt as I mentioned above in the slide version in my GT.. Christian runs the .15 slide version in his GT. Its all personally preference. Also the CV-R is a completley diffrent engine than the CV NOTHING is the same. Some people sell atermarket heads and say that will fit both but you end up lowering your compression on a CV-R by using a head like that. The hardcore is an example of one being sold for both eninges. This is info strait from OS. Here is the os power chart if you want to see what will do what. A .12 cv-r is faster than a .15cv the only thing faster than a .12 CV-R in the Os line is the TR which is 1.2 hp instead of the cv-r's 1.1 This in my opion is the best deal as far as money reliability and tune ability. Sure there are some smoking itialian motors and those boys will be in here soon enough telling you to go that route but for price and performace and reliability. I say O.S. all the way...X

Thanks X, I think I found a winner, now the only thing is whether to get the .12 or .15. I called my local track today and asked about motor restrections since I havent raced there in a few years and they said I can run anything up to a .15 turbo, even in nitro novice. I think that was odd but ok, no sweat. Anyway I'm leaning towards the .12 just to make it a little easier to control. My last Top ct-12 was wicked fast but was VERY easy to loose control of. Thanks again.

By the way, do you have a pic of how you have you linkage with the slide?

Well Chiristian and my self both Run TL xxx-nt's but I Will look around for you...X

I appreciate it. I mocked up my cv and my servo and I think I may have figured it out. Quite easy actually.

Here is the link to the setup sheet On AE website its takes adobe to open it http://www.teamassociated.com/basicshub/troubleshooting/slidecarb_web.pdf

by the way here is the link to the slide version on sale at tower http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUJ73&P=7 and here is the tower codes you can use on that
$75.00 - $149.99 $5.00 011DV
or $75.00 - $149.99 $5.00 011EH will work till feb-28

They don't do the slide in a short shaft version so you will need to cut the crank I assume if so here is the AE crank cutting nut if you are weary about cutting the crank http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX3382&P=7

Thanks X, I hope that income tax check comes in tomorrow like it is supposed to so I can finish this thing, now I just need to figure out what radio to get....................

What type of radio did you use before ? And what is the price range you are looking at?

I had a JR XR2 setup but now I have my Maxx, RC10GT, and my nitro hawk so I want a system that I can use on all 3 and maybe any more I pick up in the near future so 3 chan. multi-model memory is a must. I was thinking about the lynx 3d but I just cannot get used to the way it looks. I am thinking about the JR XR3i but I have heard people talk about JR's glitching real bad (although my XR2 never did) so I may look for a M8 on ebay or something. I would like to stick to around $200 for a radio and I dont need servos.

Actually I think I may have found my radio on ebay :banana:

Futaba 3PK

Although I havent gotten used to the looks of it, it has all the features I want and more, good price too!