HELP ME! I'm being robbed - i think?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OKay - I trust most of you guys here - so help me out. My full size car broke yesterday. Broke the shifter cable that attaches to the actual shifter. Now i grew up in the auto industry and worked at a car dealership for years, before i came to where i work now. The normal cost for a shifter cable is around 40-80 bucks. I called autozone, and discount auto shop to get a cable, and they both said its a 'dealer only part'. I called the saturn dealer ( i drive a 94 saturn SL1 ) and they quoted me 210.00 for just the part, plus 2 hours to put it in at 70.00hr. 360.00 for a shifter cable???? OMG that seems way too expensive. Now, am i out of the loop here, or is this really afair price? Anyone know of a website i can look it up on, or anyone in the automotive field? I need help quick, cause i am currently car less, and need to get to work. help , please!!!!!

Man that sucks. I say find the local junk yard, get the part and install it your self. :) Dealership = bending over and taking it. :(

agreed - i thought of the same thing, mainly because i can fix it myself too, however, the cost of towing the car to my house, about 20 miles from the shop its at, would be almost equal to the part cost.

see if the shop will let you do the job in their parking lot, I'm sure they wont mind, its not like you're bothering anyone and it isnt a really big job anyway.

If you can get it in nuetral just use a tie strap to a friends truck and drive it home like that. :) Does your insurance company cover towing costs? You might want to check into that. I know my policy does. I pay the driver and then take the receipt to my insurance company and they reimburse me.

IDK...wouldnt your insurance cover most of the parts and labor costs? Do you have good car insurance? 360 seems like alot, that can't be right.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

insurance wont cover any of it - as it is a wearable item. car has almost 100K on it, so warranty is long gone. Insurance would probable cover the tow if it went to the dealer, but thats it. i dont have full coverage. I just talked to the shop owner, and he said that if i pay him cash, so he doesn't have to write a ticket on it, he will try to just repair it, but it wont last forever. I just authorized an hour labor for him to look it over, and see if he could do that. Yeah, humbolt, the part does seem outrageous, dont ya think? :angry:

I work at a jeep dealer and I just called the saturn dealer and they said my cost an the park interlock cable is 37.20 and the indicator cable is 71.72 thats barely over 100 for both cables I say you call the saturn dealer and tell them you are from some other dealer around the area ( say you are a porter ) and they will give you a discount on the part then find a mechanic and ask him if he will do it on the side for 75 bucks and I guarantee hell do it

Thanks twiz - ill try

Twizted that is what i was going to suggest too. Or try to find a Chiltons manual and see for your self how hard that cable is to put in. You might be able to put it in right in the driveway. All dealer stuff for the public is over priced.

Automatic? I'll say this, those are SIMPLE on an automatic if you have any mechanical background. :)

I know i hate to do this to people but i have to say..... :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ahh: :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha :ha v

What the hell was that all about? LOL

:spam

:ban: xxrycecakexx ???? what a maroon i tell ya :whistle:

On a lighter note - I got my car back, hooray! Went to dodge, and got a shifter cable for 49.00 then installed it with my roomates help in the parking lot, after the shop closed. Piece of cake, had it done in about an hour. Drove on out of there. Thanks for the help guys!

ahhhh . so you did use my idea, the old "fix in the parking lot while no one is looking " move ... its a classic i tell ya :yes:

Hey I work for the alternative press, which pays the alternative to good. Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. Thanks for the idea

" xxrycecakexx ???? what a maroon i tell ya "

maroon is a purplish color, moron is what you are, stupid

rycecake - that was from a old cartoon which i assume you are too young to remember. it was called bugs bunny. but thats okay, u keep smilin and acting like an idiot. now chill out, before you get this thread moved to the bashing forum.

Originally posted by nitronewbie
rycecake - that was from a old cartoon which i assume you are too young to remember. it was called bugs bunny. but thats okay, u keep smilin and acting like an idiot. now chill out, before you get this thread moved to the bashing forum.

it was also in roger rabbit ...

now lets all settle this over a glass of chocolate milk. and move on

Back