Help Me Choose My Car!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nahh should just save a few more get losi 5 or the other losi truggy 900ish

Nah broski, not looking to spend 1.5k on an rc car.

Thinking either XL Octane or XL, not sure yet :doh:

One advantage of the Octane is that fuel is available locally without spending an arm and a leg.

Thinking either XL Octane or XL, not sure yet :doh:

For your first car, I'd probably get the XL and swap the engine for the LRP .32. The Octane has a new engine that has had issues, which is why nothing was heard about it for a couple years. I'd wait on both of the new gasser MTs, LST and Savage, until they've been out for a while and any bugs have been worked out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Octane needs oil

I put this in another thread, but if you're thinking of the 'Octane' remember that little engine will hit 20k to 30k RPM's.

You can't just use some cheap 2 stroke oil, its going to require some good quality oil which will raise the cost substantially.

I've seen online calcs of around $20 - $25 per gallon (of gas + oil). Now if you get nitro for $30 a gallon ($32 for me) then you will save, but not a ton.

Everyone thinks they are only going to run gasoline in the car especially since HPI has stated a 20:1 gas to oil ratio. YIKES!!!!

Gotta factor in good quality 2 stroke oil and ALOT of it. (Weed whacker / chainsaw / snowblower is usually 50:1).

Peace

I run a good quality synthetic 2-cycle oil in my Baja 5b and even with premium unleaded fuel running $4 a gallon, I'm still paying less (no more than $8 a gallon) to run; whereas nitro is running4-5 times that amount for 20%.

hey nos with tax you will be looing at 900 for new octane you can get 5th scale losi truggy for that with 25cc engine . other wise id get the xl . ill be putting the lrp in mine soon

Anchorage doesn't have a sales tax :)

I ended up getting the Savage XL 5.9 at my local hobby shop earlier today. I'm having a few issues with getting it running. My main issue is that the roto-start won't turn the engine over. I couldn't even get it to suck the fuel into the carburetor, so I siphoned it. I then put on the glow plug starter and tried to start it with the roto-start, but it wouldn't turn over. I'm not sure what to do, any help would be awesome.

Take out the glow plug flip it over and turn the engine over to get the extra fuel out reinstall the plug and try to start it again. Sounds like the engine is hydro locked

I ended up getting the Savage XL 5.9 at my local hobby shop earlier today. I'm having a few issues with getting it running. My main issue is that the roto-start won't turn the engine over. I couldn't even get it to suck the fuel into the carburetor, so I siphoned it. I then put on the glow plug starter and tried to start it with the roto-start, but it wouldn't turn over. I'm not sure what to do, any help would be awesome.

Use a blow dryer or heat gun to preheat the engine, just be careful if using a heat gun. These engines have a very tight pinch when new, getting some heat into it will allow it to turn over easier.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Just got it running! :D It sounds badass

I'm breaking her in right now! How long does it generally take to run out of fuel at idle?

When the fuel line is empty at frist start, you can prime the line by putting your finger over the pipes stinger & turning the engine over till the fuel reaches the carb.
Once fuel gets to the carb, uncover the stinger & start normally.

Just got it running! :D It sounds badass

I'm breaking her in right now! How long does it generally take to run out of fuel at idle?

It will run about 10 minutes give or take on a tank of fuel.

She won't start now. I got her to drink 3 tanks of fuel, but now she just doesn't want to go. I've watched the two part youtube series on how to properly break in the savage, I've followed everything perfectly and she still doesn't want to go.

heLp!

She won't start now. I got her to drink 3 tanks of fuel, but now she just doesn't want to go. I've watched the two part youtube series on how to properly break in the savage, I've followed everything perfectly and she still doesn't want to go.

heLp!

your glow ignitor is probably weak...recharge it..they only last for a few good minutes minutes on a charge.....This is on the biggest rookie errors I see is trying to use a weak ignitor.....

It could also be a bad glow plug. Do you might want to change it out.

If plug and ignitor good, Unflood the hell out of it turn upside down an unflood tell us the results.

Last edited:
Back