Help Me Choose My Car!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOS

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay, so I'm new to the nitro rc car world. I've always really wanted a nitro rc car and I'm finally going to get one. The only problem is, I know practically nothing about them.

So here's what I'm looking for:
A car that can...
-Do mad stunts/jumps/drifting/etc...
-Hecka fast (able to break the sound barrier - possibly?)
-Extremely loud and intimidating sounds
-Very durable, able to take freak/insane crashes and slams
-A fun and awesome kit that requires building it (very important!)
-Insanely customizable
-Just bad apples in general
Update:
-Off-roadable (no road/street cars)
-Strictly gas cars

Pick me out a cool car guys! :D

Last edited:
I've had really good experience with X-Ray Kits. You get what pay for:

http://www.amain.com/product_info.p...Luxury-1-10-Nitro-Competition-Touring-Car-Kit

That's the basic chassis. You would still need a pipe, motor, electronics, body shell, tires and wheels and starter box. It's also a pre-order.

Serpent also offers a kit that is supposed to be good and needs the same parts to complete:

http://www.amain.com/product_info.p...pent-747-200mm-1-10-Scale-4WD-Touring-Car-Kit

Here's the big boy. It's a 1/8th scale and needs a big block motor:

http://www.amain.com/product_info.p...oad-Sedan-w-Pro-Line-PF8-GT-Body-80-Assembled

These are all good quality and are raced in the proper classes at my local on road track.

These are all good quality and are raced in the proper classes at my local on road track.

I'm looking for more off-road type vehicles, something to rally on dirt roads/trails.

-A fun and awesome kit that requires building it (very important!)

Here's what I'm thinking: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpid46.html

What do you guys think?

The XL is a great truck and meets most of your requirements, except the only one that you have marked as "very important". The XL is only available in RTR form, not as a kit. The good thing about RTR rigs is the fact that they could all use a teardown before being run. This teardown gives you the chance to inspect the truck befor it gets dirty or broken, you be able to spot an issue easier. You'll also get the chance to make sure the factory worker who built it didn't miss anything, 99% of RTR rigs have issues. The main ones being thread lock missing from metal to metal screws, improper slipper clutch setting, improper gear mesh and loose hardware in general. There are a few other things but those are the main ones, you'll also get to know your truck's layout a little better which should help you be more confident when when you're tearing it down after your first breakdown/crash happens.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

SchrodeMode makes some good points there. I wish more models were available in kit form, that's the best way for beginners to learn the ins and outs of a car IMO. Unfortunately there's not many kits made nowadays. But there's no reason why you can't learn the inner workings with a RTR.

Okay, so I'm new to the nitro rc car world.
So here's what I'm looking for:
-Hecka fast (able to break the sound barrier - possibly?)
-Extremely loud and intimidating sounds

As far as speed goes, learn the proper engine break in and tuning procedures first. Perfect your tuning skills, speed will come later as you progress.

I believe the top speed of an XL is 40+mph which doesn't sound like much, but it's remarkably fast for something as small as a 1/8 truck. You'll swear it's doing 80+ as it flies by you.

Practice your driving skills and learn the handling characteristics of your truck before you make any speed upgrades.

With the right exhaust pipe you can make your truck very loud. A ERCM pipe with a BB engine for example, will make car alarms wail, pets run for cover and children cry.
The downside is, if you live in the suburbs, you're not gonna make many friends in your the neighborhood. If you're rural, have at it, sky's the limit.

Last edited:
I would say go with the Savage X SS kit. The 4.6 is a better motor overall than the 5.9 (better power and uses less fuel). It IS a kit which what you were looking for.

I would say go with the Savage X SS kit. The 4.6 is a better motor overall than the 5.9 (better power and uses less fuel). It IS a kit which what you were looking for.

+1 to this, I got tired of typing on my phone earlier.

Only disadvantage about ss is the current version is the old style diffs.hpi finally updated the 2014 version to sintered diffs

What is your opinion on Traxxas?

Good company with great customer service and most of their models have pretty good after market support and you can probably get parts at just about any Hobby Shop. With that said, I think they are over priced and take a good bit to get them durable when it comes to bashing. If I was choosing between a Savage and a T-Maxx or Revo for a basher, I'd go Savage. It's a true 1/8 scale MT with BB power, the Traxxas MTs are about the same size but are powered by a SB. The 4.6 in the Savage is also known as a pretty good RTR engine, the 3.3 on the other hand...not so much. I personally haven't had any real issues with my 3.3 though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I would conider an Associated on-road touring car then convert it into a rally car like I did with my NTC3. Team AE is SUPER reliable and can take a good bashing too, I have proven this on 4 of AEs rigs
DSCF3038_zps91b71bb7.jpg

Alrighty, so here's the dealio...
I like just about all of your suggestions, but I should probably revise my requirements.

New reqs:
-Durable and wont crash upon freak stunts
-Hella fast and to where it's so loud, people get mad when I run it
-Insanely customizable body as well as engine
-STRICTLY FUEL CARS ONLY!!!!
-OFF-ROADABLES ONLY!!!!

thanks gang

Savage X SS kit- the toughest M/T on the market.

Traxxas Revo 3.3 converted to big block. I personally have one and love it.

You're down to the Traxxas or the Savage, the Savage being the one in kit form.
Loud? Either one has a volume that's adjustable with an aftermarket pipe.
ENDLESS custom parts and bodies for either one.
Both durable for hard bashing, but the Savage comes in first on that count.
Both nitro and off road.

Please, easy on the neighbors. We try to promote our hobby, not annoy people with it.

Team associated MGT! Or a Traxxas Revo. If you go with the Savage I would go with the Savage X.

These trucks don't go very fast...40mph stock, come on guys

Keep in mind that you will NOT see 40 MPH off road. We gave you our best opinions. Upgrades and options are up to you.
You want 75MPH running through the woods? Get a dirt bike.

How do them buggies do off-road?

Also, I'm pretty much down to these four:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

What do you guys think is best out of those four?

thanks

Last edited:
Back