Help me Build the Ultimate Savage XL Basher!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitbullTD

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I've been wanting to get back into bashing for a few years. Went at it pretty hard but only for a short time when I was into it.

With some recent life changes I've decided to splurge and get back into it. I'd like to build the ultimate basher, and between here, savage-central, and rcuniverse my brain is completely mush over the last 48hrs.

I spent 1200 dollars at the LHS today (which was also an hour and a half away) and I still dont have anything to make the truck more durable for bashing.

Here is what I have/have planned so far.

HAVE
Savage XL (589.99)
Spektrum DX3S Radio (250.00)
Pro-Line Trencher 3.8 40 Series All Terrain Tires on Tech 5 Black Wheels
and other than the necessities to get the thing running thats pretty much it (after run oil, gallon of byrons gen 2 fuel, fuel bottle, extra glow plugs, temp gauge, etc...)

Still to buy (definitely purchasing online however)

ENGINE/PIPE
Thinking the Picco .28 w/ OFNA 068 Pipe. Howmuch does it cost to have it ERCM Modded?
Other engine option is the LRP .32 w/ OFNA 057 Pipe, again howmuch for ERCM mod?

SERVOS
The LHS guy was trying to talk me into a couple Spektrum servo's, but I passed. Want to make sure whichever servo's I get will be able to support the truck after all mods are done. Sooo....

I'd like to do the BP tranny mod, can't find the how to ANYWHERE.

Would also like to do any and all mods that will make this whole truck Bullet Proof. I've read so much over the last two days I am literally on information overload at this point. I've got around 1000 dollars more I can comfortably spend on this endeavor and I feel like I got very little out of my trip to the LHS. So its online from here on out.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of other ultimate basher builds or give me some info on other things to do I'd greatly appreciate it.

I also saw a pretty sick bumper but forget who made it or what thread I was in on what forum. Just want this thing to be a tank. A tank thats fast enough to do some sick jumps though.

Sorry for the rambling, I literally am mushy headed though. Thanks for the help! :whhooo:

i think the savage is pretty strong out of the box, as i have a savage x and a savage xl. i have the picco .28 in my truck but i have yet to run it.. the 5.9 has good power but it has its bad moments.. I've heard alot of bad things about it but i also heard good.. i only ran mine for a tank just to try it. (it was modded and broken in before i got it) as far as servos.. u will want a fast throttle servo and a good torque steering servo.. hitec makes good ones, and spektrum as well.. u wll want to get a 2 speed as the 3 speed tranny doesn't hold up well with a good power house engine.. i woudnt worry about the lrp 32 i had the lrp 28 and lrp 30 in my savages before and they were plenty of power.. i would get the picco 28 and if u want to have it modded. i would either have ercm, clockworks, or ab mods do it.. i have heard alot of good things about them.. as far as a pipe i have heard good things of the 086 pipe and the ercm pipe.. very good things about the ercm pipe and a modded picco 28 for sure.. thats my plan.. both my x and xl have the picco 28 in them.. have yet to try them tho as i just got the engines, and i want to have them modded.. i will be keeping an eye on this thread as i am a basher as well and i love my savages.. keep us posted on the progress and show us pics as u do it.. welcome to the forums..

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

@shizcol - I'm well aware that the Savages are strong out of the box. Thats why I bought it. I'm wanting to go over and above. Its not about being strong enough, or powerful enough. I'm wanting to build a kicked up Savage XL. One that I can look at and say, oh yeah this is way F'ing better than an engagement ring.
So basically its not about the truck being good enough, or the LRP .28 being good enough, its about making the truck as close to sex as possible. :)

@alpinestars199 - Thanks for the tip, have added it to my list of things to research!

As of this morning:
Some of the Mods I'm looking for detailed information on in order to make parts orders are:

BP Diffs
BP Tranny
Big Bore Shocks (no problem finding how to's, problem deciding which one to follow)
TVP's - Fast lane? IRC? Heard to stay far away from Integy for everything. Why's that?

Some integy parts suck but there are some integy parts that are nice to have like the rear hub carriers, from steering knuckles and c hubs, other then that i would t buy anything else from them. I have rear carriers and they are big and solid.

The 3 spd might hold up fine with a stock motor. But once u start getting into the bug raw power modded motors i been told to stay away from the 3 spds. I myself hope that my 3 spd stays together with the modded engine but i have a couple 2 speeds to use for back up.

Rpm a arms are good but i have been told that they flex so
Much that the dog bones come out of the axles and cause it to break the outdrives on impact. Let me remind u guys this is all stuff i have read in some forums. I have to really bash my savage so i can't really say i broke anythiing but I've take a few good hits and its still going strong.

Big bore shocks are great. I have the hpi aluminum big bores with the titanium shock shafts and these are so bad ass. I can drop my truck off a house and it wont even bottom out. I have seen alot of people go with these and be happy. Others seem to like the losi lst shocks but i think they just look out of place and make the truck look bad lol. Just my opinion tho..

Diffs.. I've heard the savage xl bp diffs are the way ti go and hard to beat. Some ppl have been going with the flux diffs. But to me the flux diffs and the bp diffs i think are the same. Good luck with the build man and hope to see some pics of the progress.

Last edited:
Thanks for the 411 shiz.

On the diffs are you saying people say the savage xl has bp diffs stock? Or is that a mod like the flux diffs?

I've found all the mod how to's I was looking for so far, now researching Mid tank mods, and upgraded TVP's.

Its pretty cool how cheap these mods can be had for the most part. As of right now its looking like my engine(s), pipe(s), and TVP's are going to be pretty much the only pocket killers so far.

Again I'm wanting to do this in one fell swoop, so I'm hoping to get everything lined out/ordered today and tomorrow and have a clear build plan for when parts start showing up.

Here in a couple hours I'll be opening the XL and breaking it down pics of WIP to come this afternoon/tonight!

Thinking about starting a blog for this endeavor, I've got a thread about the build on multiple forums, and its hard to keep things straight :)

The savage xl comes with bp diffs. If u got the xl new it should have bp diffs. I'm anxious to see this thing done. If u have any tke off parts u wanna sell let me know. Thanks

Hey shiz, I did buy the XL new. Last night, is there anyway I can make sure its got the BP diffs? And are the bp diffs the new XLs coming with the same strength as the bp diffs in the hop up sections?

yeah if u just got it new it def has the bp diffs. the bp diffs everyone is upgrading to are the ones in the new xls.. i havent heard of anyne having issues with the new xls and diff issues so i think ur good.. but u must look into diff shimming for the the savage xls.. i myself am leaving it the way it is but i know alot of people that take apart theyre truks right away and shim them.. the truck should of come with shims to start u off.. its pretty simple.. when i first started in the savages 5 yrs ago diffs used to break all the time.. but bnow that i just got back into it i havent seen any problems.. and if i would have broken a diff it would iof happened by now.. cause back 5 yrs ago i would break diffs often.. if u take it apart and the diff cup is plastic u have the bad diffs but if it has a aluminum cup ur good.. and i believe the ring gear and pinion are black.. the old ones were silver.

Excellent. Thanks so much. Shimming the Diffs added to my list of things to read about

yes sir.. u will love this truck.. u might also want to look into a good clutch setup for the motor ur putting into it.. buku cluthes, m2c clutches, and dynamite max life clutch are 3 that i know are good.. but the stock xl clutch will do for now.. 3 or 4 shoe setups are great

the xl has the beefiest drive train that HPI makes. the bp diffs the thicker driveshafts and axles. I've never heard of anyone tearing up a 3 speed on a bigger engine. biggest thing to check is the shimming on the diffs as already mentioned and go through and locktite all the driveline screws that are in the driveshafts, etc... each truck is different from the factory no matter what anyone says. someone that enjoys their job may have built mine but not yours... my X that was not the case, blew the diffs twice and the screw in the rear driveshaft fell out and left me with a front wheel drive savage...

I've heard the side plates on the savage being a weak point on really hardcore bashers. you may want to look into FLM plates. you an also do the midtank mod, to help protect the tank from damage, and pull the center of gravity in for better flight.

the only think i ever busted on the savages i owned was diffs, dogbones, roll bars, and popped shock caps. the diffs were the old style though.

I once heard of a busted c-hub, but i think that was an urban legend.

So here is where I'm at so far, just copied my notes page from notebook. Its a mess, but coming together. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc...let me know:

SAVAGE XL CUSTOM BUILD NOTES

TRUCK
2011 HPI SAVAGE XL - 589.99

ENGINE
Picco .28(OFN51232) - 189.99 from AMainHobbies.com
(ECRM CUSTOMIZED) - 120.00 from ERCM

LRP .32(ASCLRP32820)- 194.99 from AMainHobbies.com (Pre-Order)
(ECRM CUSTOMIZED) - 120.00 from ERCM

PIPE
OFNA 068 (tuned top end) - $70.00 from OFNA
OFNA 063 (tuned bottom ) - can't find pipe or price on ofna warehouse
ERCM End Pipe - 120.00 from ERCM
OFNA 057 (w/ LRP) - can't find pipe on ofna

STEERING/HANDLING
New Server Saver Spring
New Tie Rods
New Bearings
Steering Rack
New Steering Servo (what oz? and brand?)

SERVOS
Steering
Hitec HS-7955TG Ultra Torque Titanium Gear - 119.99 AMainHobbies.com
Hitec HS-7985MG High Res High Torque - 95.99
Hitec HS-7965MG Hi Res Hi Speed - 94.99

Throttle
-what should I look for?

BIG BORE SHOCKS
Parts Needed:
-(2) HPI 102365 Big Bore Sport Shock Sets - $73.00ea from HPI
OR-(2) HPI a720 Big Bore Aluminum Shock Sets - $129.00ea from HPI
-Optional Titanium Shafts? Worth it?

THROTTLE/BRAKES
OFNA Throttle Mod: http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/savage.ofna.throttle.html
Parts Needed:
-(2) OFNA 10725
-(1) OFNA 10705
-(1) Dubro 815
-(1) OFNA 10732 (Optional)
-(1) Integy T6909 (Optional)

Bumper

Skid Plate

Rollcage:
New Era HSV850XL $49.80 From New Era

Bullet Proof Tranny
Parts Needed:
-HPI 86084 Drive Gear 32T (1M) $5.00 from HPI
-HPI 86098 Idler Gear 29T (1M) $5.00 from HPI
-HPI 77065 HIgh Speed Third Gear Set w/ 26 & 38T Gears $11.00 from HPI
-HPI 86081 Gear Shaft 6x12x78mm $9.00 from HPI
-44tooth Steel 1st Geer for 3spd
-Washers (#8mm, #6mm)
-Dremel

Upgrade Drivetrain (axles, tranny, etc...)

Upgrade TVPs
-Fastlane or IRC or someone else?

Gearing Explained:
http://www.*******************/forums/showthread.php?t=5940

Big Bore vs Stock Shocks
http://www.*******************/forums/showpost.php?p=199585&postcount=9

BIG BORE SHOCKS
BP DIFFS
BP TRANNY
RPM Suspension Arms?
NEW ERA Roll Cage? Reviews? Recommendations? HSV850XL - 49.80
HD Servo Saver Spring

chester, I am unable to do that mod because you cannot run 4 front shocks with it. I need to run 8 big bores due to the final weight of the vehicle.

4 big bores? Dang i only have 4 and my truck doesn't even sag at all.

LST shocks are the only way to go.

GCM also carries the best parts available. I used them for alot of esavage stuff but I believe he has nitro offerings as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back