Help Losi won't start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highway123

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've tried to figure this out but I just don't have enough experience with the nitros yet. I'm having trouble starting my son's Losi M26SS. The compression seems fine when you spin the motor by hand. Lots of resistance before TDC. The fuel lines were basically rotten so I replaced them. Fuel was leaking from the head so I replaced the head gasket. The glowplug tested good but I still replaced it anyways. Before, I could get it started after turning it over for a long time now I can't get it to fire at all. Any suggestions?

Glow igniter battery fully charged or replaced depending on the type? Have you reset the carb settings to factory?

Check the idle gap as well. Since initial start up I've never had a problem with mine but new engines can be a pain to start, other then that I did have one time when I first took mine out this past spring and idle gap wasn't own enough.

I should clarify the engine is not new. The engine was running before but we stripped a spur gear but even then I have had trouble starting it.

I tried another igniter before with no results. I reset the carb settings to factory which are 2.5 turns on the LSN and HSN, I was a little surprised at that. Tried starting again but it was real tight then after several tries it started spinning easier (roto start). I pulled the GP and it was pretty wet, I'm thinking it was flooded from yesterday and was hydro-ing. I'm going to let it dry out tonight, try again tomorrow. Also, I didn't see any air bubbles in the fuel line.

Those carb settings don't sound right let me check when I get back home.

Hsn 2 3/4 turns out from bottom, lsn 3 turns out from out. What do you have this motor in?

Is the plug lighting? How are the fuel lines, sometimes they get gummed up and still flow, but not fast enough to run. How long has it been since the engine ran well? What kind of fuel are you using (brand, nitro/oil %)? Is the fuel new or old, did you buy it or did it come with the truck?

Is the plug lighting? How are the fuel lines, sometimes they get gummed up and still flow, but not fast enough to run. How long has it been since the engine ran well? What kind of fuel are you using (brand, nitro/oil %)? Is the fuel new or old, did you buy it or did it come with the truck?

Plug looks good (R5), I tested it while the head was off, bright yellow/white. The lines are brand new. Running 20% Traxxas, new fuel I bought.

"new fuel I bought", I sound like Yoda...lol

Well I used Wacmartin's settings and was able to fire it up. (Thanks Wac) My settings weren't much off than his settings. This thing must be finicky when it comes to tuning. Got it warmed up (220+), it was bogging on the high end, I richened the HSN and then it got where it was shutting off after coming off the throttle hard. It would just die, no idle up, no bog. This Losi doesn't tune like my Picco, it's much more sensitive. Installing a pull start tonight and going to try some more tomorrow.

It was finicky when I first got mine it runs pretty good now. I run mine between 220 to 250, it warms right up to 215 after about 2 high speed runs on a hot day then I just tune accordingly. The only problem I ever had with the engine was the idle gap closing when I hit the brakes and that stalling the engine, that's been fixed though.

Got it!! It's running great, It fires right up. I had it set way too rich. These Losi's sure run lean. I'm around 2.75 on the HSN and 2.25 on the LSN. Plenty of smoke so I know I'm good. I want to thank everyone for the help, couldn't have done it without your guys.