Help a newbie with a recommendation

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E.intheC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have the ability to buy another RC car and have been really overthinking it.

Right now I have a Traxxas 1/16 e-revo brushless (with some upgrades for street performance) and an Arrma Senton 3s with Arrma granite tires.

I like general bashing around, but would like to get into street speed runs eventually. would prefer to stick with either Traxxas or Arrma.

Additionally, I have the nimh batteries and nimh charger for traxxas, and the Spektrum Smart 2100 charger with 3s LIPO for my Arrma truck.

My budget is ideally $500 or less, although I could stretch it.

The top two contenders are the Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL (Fox edition) with Traxxas LIPO and charger combo =$500

Or the Arrma Big Rock CC 3s with additional spektrum battery for about $400.
I realize the Traxxas is a short course and the Arrma is a Truggy/slight monster truck so they’re not exactly competitors, but for me they hit a certain price point, they’re 3s and hit 50mph top speed, and I like both trucks.

Any advice?

Also. Regarding speed runs. I realize that neither car is good for them. But I want to practice at the higher-end speed and get used to controlling and handling before I get a limitless or infraction or something a year or two down the line.

I also like that the Traxxas option for $500 would allow me to have a lipo charging option for both Traxxas and Arrma.

I have the ability to buy another RC car and have been really overthinking it.

Right now I have a Traxxas 1/16 e-revo brushless (with some upgrades for street performance) and an Arrma Senton 3s with Arrma granite tires.

I like general bashing around, but would like to get into street speed runs eventually. would prefer to stick with either Traxxas or Arrma.

Additionally, I have the nimh batteries and nimh charger for traxxas, and the Spektrum Smart 2100 charger with 3s LIPO for my Arrma truck.

My budget is ideally $500 or less, although I could stretch it.

The top two contenders are the Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL (Fox edition) with Traxxas LIPO and charger combo =$500

Or the Arrma Big Rock CC 3s with additional spektrum battery for about $400.
I realize the Traxxas is a short course and the Arrma is a Truggy/slight monster truck so they’re not exactly competitors, but for me they hit a certain price point, they’re 3s and hit 50mph top speed, and I like both trucks.

Any advice?
What about the Arrma Senton 3S/BLX? Same price and durability as the BRCC, but, already lower to the ground, and, with a few minor mods, mostly to the body, could be set up for speed runs. You would need to vent the body so it doesn't parachute at speed, but there are a few posts on this forum on how to do it, as well as get a set of good on road tires, and a pinion change, as well as possibly changing the spur. Traxxas, from listening to several people that own them (i personally dont own a Traxxas, but a lot of my neighbors do), get extremely pricey when trying to make them faster. Does it have to be 4X4? If not, another option, what about the Team Associated SR10 or DR10? They are 2WD, but are set up out of the box for speed. The JLB J3 speed is another speed run based vehicle. Downsides though are that they aren't available in store, and parts can only be ordered online, and, there are some pretty much out of the box expected upgrades (servo, tires and wheels), but, they are quick, and 4WD. The JLB Cheetah is basically the same vehicle, but set up more for off road. A few of my neighbors have them, and they seem to be pretty durable, and can be made extremely quick (i have personally seen 80MPH out of a J3 Speed). Another 4WD option, although another, can only be gotten online one, is the DHK Hobby Hunter. The parts can only be found from either RC Hobby Explosion, or eBay, but, from owning two of them, as well as a few other DHK cars, i can say they can be made fast, and are extremely durable. (you would still need to vent the body, and get different tires and wheels, but, unlike the Arrma 14MM hex, the DHK is already standard 12MM, and with a minor CVD end swap, you can run the Maximus 17MM, or almost any 17MM hub). If you are looking for potential 4S to 6S speed, there are options from DHK Hobby (Maximus, which, although it is a monster truck, can easily be made into a speed run vehicle, just by swapping to street tires and wheels), Arrma (Felony, Limitless), Traxxas, and a few others.

Thanks for the detailed response!

I have been strongly considering the Arrma Limitless as well, and I’m not afraid of building a car. But the roller alone is $400 plus I would need electronics and an additional battery. Based on the research I was doing for that, it would be $600-700+. Plus it has the potential of going FAST and I’m not sure I’m ready for that yet.

So I guess the choices now are:

Slash VXL 4x4
Big Rock CC
Limitless

?

So I guess the choices now are:

Slash VXL 4x4
Big Rock CC
Limitless

?
Of those three, the BRCC is the worst choice to go fast. It will be limited by how tall it is, and its basic characteristics. Monster trucks never make good speed vehicles without a ton of expensive work. If you are going to spend that much money and time to go fast, the Limitless or Felony would be much better. If the BRCC is mainly because of the body, you would have better luck getting a Senton and just putting a BRCC body on it. The only differences between the two are the body, the wheels and tires, and the height. However, the Senton isnt a perfect speed vehicle either, since it sits higher off the ground, although is lower than the BRCC, which causes its own issues. The Slash, with an LCG chassis has been built into a capable speed vehicle, if you spend a ton on necessary upgrades. The real issue here is, how fast do you want to go? If you are only looking for 40-50MPH, the BRCC is perfect for that, although, flipping while turning is still an issue. If you are looking for 50-70MPH, the Slash could be made that fast, but, at a premium price, and, over 70MPH, the Limitless and Felony, and Traxxas XO-1 are specifically built for that.

Of those three, the BRCC is the worst choice to go fast. It will be limited by how tall it is, and its basic characteristics. Monster trucks never make good speed vehicles without a ton of expensive work. If you are going to spend that much money and time to go fast, the Limitless or Felony would be much better. If the BRCC is mainly because of the body, you would have better luck getting a Senton and just putting a BRCC body on it. The only differences between the two are the body, the wheels and tires, and the height. However, the Senton isnt a perfect speed vehicle either, since it sits higher off the ground, although is lower than the BRCC, which causes its own issues. The Slash, with an LCG chassis has been built into a capable speed vehicle, if you spend a ton on necessary upgrades. The real issue here is, how fast do you want to go? If you are only looking for 40-50MPH, the BRCC is perfect for that, although, flipping while turning is still an issue. If you are looking for 50-70MPH, the Slash could be made that fast, but, at a premium price, and, over 70MPH, the Limitless and Felony, and Traxxas XO-1 are specifically built for that.
That's not necessary true about the Bigrock check this out
Also before giving advice about things please make sure you actually have experience and pass on good advice. For speed running with about any rig until you hit 70+ mph your car will usually stay planted. Honestly I'd really suggest the Limitless if your even considering speed runs. That or the Typhon 6s which is little more at $499 but also is RTR and a good start. I run a Typhon 6s for my speed rig and just hit a PB of 112mph, now granted I did have to change to a way better ESC and gearing/tires but again to start with all stock you'll do close to 70mph. Click on my build thread badge to see my Typhon to give you some idea about the progression.

That's not necessary true about the Bigrock check this out
Also before giving advice about things please make sure you actually have experience and pass on good advice. For speed running with about any rig until you hit 70+ mph your car will usually stay planted. Honestly I'd really suggest the Limitless if your even considering speed runs. That or the Typhon 6s which is little more at $499 but also is RTR and a good start. I run a Typhon 6s for my speed rig and just hit a PB of 112mph, now granted I did have to change to a way better ESC and gearing/tires but again to start with all stock you'll do close to 70mph. Click on my build thread badge to see my Typhon to give you some idea about the progression.
That truck was lowered a little, and had on road wheels and tires installed, which is exactly what i said would need to be done. Take a box stock BRCC and try to do 60MPH with it, and see what happens. As for experience, i have more than enough. I dont do speed runs anymore, but, the only forms of racing i have done RC wise are SCT's, Tamiya and Kyosho buggies years ago, and drag racing, which i also do with 1:1 cars, and have for a long time. I have tried the box stock monster truck speed run thing, and failed miserably. I have also done SCT speed runs with several different trucks. I still have my Racers Edge Pro 2 that at one point did just under 80MPH. I quit chasing RC speed when i actually realized how much i was spending to do it. I dont remember if its on here or the Arrma Forum, you will find my post about venting SCT bodies. The bodies in that post are an Arrma Fury that i have had near 70, and the RE Pro2 body. I learned the hard way an Arrma Fury with an MIP HPI Blitz ball diff doesn't like high speed runs.

Have you thought of the Arrma Typhon 6s? Might stretch the budget once you add battery and charger. Good fast basher out of the box. Add 2.8MT tires, and it becomes a great monster truck. Add belted slicks smaller spur and a better ESC, and the stock motor can break 100mph.

I have a v1 Tyohon 6s (along with a dozen other Rcs, including a Granite 4x4). It is very flexable, - has been a track racer, park buggy basher, Monster Truck, and a speed runner. One of Arrma's best cars

With all that said, I like my Granite more as a basher. But, i would not want to try and make it into a speed runner.

Have you thought of the Arrma Typhon 6s? Might stretch the budget once you add battery and charger. Good fast basher out of the box. Add 2.8MT tires, and it becomes a great monster truck. Add belted slicks smaller spur and a better ESC, and the stock motor can break 100mph.

I have a v1 Tyohon 6s (along with a dozen other Rcs, including a Granite 4x4). It is very flexable, - has been a track racer, park buggy basher, Monster Truck, and a speed runner. One of Arrma's best cars

With all that said, I like my Granite more as a basher. But, i would not want to try and make it into a speed runner.
Yep couldn't agree more! Got my v5 Typhon for Christmas and bashed it about a month then turned it into my speed rig. New ESC GRP tires a spool and I've hit 112mph still running the stock motor so far.

I have a Traxxas Slash VXL 4x4 Ultimate. The Ultimate has some upgrades including the low CG chassis which is good for going fast. It's fast and (according to Traxxas link) I can his 70 mph with the taller gearing. Over all it's a great platform and easy to modify. Appearently it makes a good drag car with some mods.

However, there are some things to think about. You can work around all this stuff, but it's time and money.

First is this thing loves to flip over. It does wheelies and/or catches a light breeze and off it goes. If you want to make it go fast and be stable, you will need to swap the tires to a street compound, lower the entire chassis, and figure out the aerodynamics.

Also the Vellion motor is great but it does get a bit toasty on speed runs.

As for the batteries I've been using Protek batteries with Deans connectors. They are less expensive, easy to get and overall better value. You can solder new connectors or use adapters. Adapters are not the preferred method but they do work.

You might look at the Arram Typhon too. It's $499 RTR 1/8 scale buggy.

Back