Hello I'm new here Need help with starting my HPI Rs4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adi35

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Like I said I need help starting my HPI Rs4, I tried almost everything,
A week before I bought a glow plug and it was working for a few tanks of fuel until I bought new fuel and fixed the front differential.
Now when I start it it runs but when I take the glow plug igniter out the engine stops. :(
Also when I start it and apply throttle is stops too. :(
The engine wasn't flooded and I'm pretty sure the glow plug is ok.
I turned the high speed needle to every setting and the results are the same.
Any ideas why this happens?

Did you switch fuel brands or nitro/oil percentages?

Is this a new engine and those "few tanks" all that have been run in the engine?

Did you switch fuel brands or nitro/oil percentages?

Is this a new engine and those "few tanks" all that have been run in the engine?

No It was run for 20-35 tanks before it started having problems.
I did play whith the High speed needle once before andI think I made it run Super-Lean for 11/2 tank, Did that destroy the engine?

I used the same 20% nitro fuel...

Super lean can definitely ruin an engine,how is compression now?

It has compression, I turned the flywheel by hand, how do I know if it has good enough compression?

I just asked my mate as he has an RS4, and he says its just running a little rich.. As you have just changed fuel it can be that you must re-tune... He also says you can run it on 20% but better run on 16%, thats what he uses and has no problems whatsoever!!! Also if you ran lean for only 1 and half tanks, as long as it wasn't too lean there shouldnt be a problem BUT!.... If you clean your cooling head and take out the glowplug and have a look at the piston to see if its brown and burnt looking... There should be a slight discolouration but not too much!!! I hope this helps!!

It runs okay BUT when I take out the glow plug igniter it stalls...
I think the glow plug washer is missing, Does that effect anything??????

For compression,how easy can you roll the engine over? If it can be done with one finger it's too low,it should take your finger and thumb and make a pop as passes tdc. Check it hot as well. Don't burn yourself :)

I think most of your problem is tune on the low speed needle. When it running with the igniter on, is it spitting any fuel and smoke or running fairly clear? If it's spitting a lot of fuel,lean it a slight bit,really clear richen it a slight bit. Also,have you checked the throttle stop position? Use the trim knob on you transmitter to raise the idle a little to get it to stay running,then you can fine tune from there after the engine is up to full operating temps. You do need to get a seal ring under the plug,it could leak some compression without it and slightly change compression ratio in the engine making it more difficult to tune in.

For compression,how easy can you roll the engine over? If it can be done with one finger it's too low,it should take your finger and thumb and make a pop as passes tdc. Check it hot as well. Don't burn yourself :)

I think most of your problem is tune on the low speed needle. When it running with the igniter on, is it spitting any fuel and smoke or running fairly clear? If it's spitting a lot of fuel,lean it a slight bit,really clear richen it a slight bit. Also,have you checked the throttle stop position? Use the trim knob on you transmitter to raise the idle a little to get it to stay running,then you can fine tune from there after the engine is up to full operating temps. You do need to get a seal ring under the plug,it could leak some compression without it and slightly change compression ratio in the engine making it more difficult to tune in.

It is spitting some fuel..
Can you stay online for a while i'll chek if that works..

I'll try again tommorow, If the igniter is on the glow plug for 2 minutes will it damage something?

It is spitting some fuel..
Can you stay online for a while i'll chek if that works..

I'll try again tommorow, If the igniter is on the glow plug for 2 minutes will it damage something?

The only damage is running the battery down in the igniter.

Where can I order glow plug washers with free shipping?

OK I'll tune the carburator, Oh one more thing- Before it started having problems it couldn't start until I turned the high speed needle to super lean, So i don't know whats wrong with the engine...

sounds like problem is with the LSN, if you are not comfortable with tuning your LSN you may have to move up to a hotter plug, my old RS4 didn't like cold plugs I changed it to a medium and I had no problem at all.

Either way try a medium plug and see if that helps :-D

sounds like problem is with the LSN, if you are not comfortable with tuning your LSN you may have to move up to a hotter plug, my old RS4 didn't like cold plugs I changed it to a medium and I had no problem at all.

Either way try a medium plug and see if that helps :-D

I'll try that, although it was working before.

as an engine goes thru its life cycle it will need to be continually leaned out slightly to compensate for compression loss

It runs okay BUT when I take out the glow plug igniter it stalls...
I think the glow plug washer is missing, Does that effect anything??????

Absolutely it effects the engine missing the glow plug washer. It's a seal, and it places the plug at the proper depth in the cylinder. That's your main problem. Also, what kind of ignitor are you using? Does it have a nimh battery in it or are you using alkalines? Alkalines will start an engine once or twice, then tease you. The engine will pop and sputter, but not start.

Absolutely it effects the engine missing the glow plug washer. It's a seal, and it places the plug at the proper depth in the cylinder. That's your main problem. Also, what kind of ignitor are you using? Does it have a nimh battery in it or are you using alkalines? Alkalines will start an engine once or twice, then tease you. The engine will pop and sputter, but not start.

I'm using Energizer rechargeable batteries, and IT say on them nimh, I bought two of them so I switch to the other one if one runs out...

They should be fine as long as they get charged completely. How many mah are they? It will say on them somewhere.