heli RX question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So up to this point I've only been messing around with blade BNF stuff but I have the old belt cp laying around that I want to putz with but I want to remove the crappy esky RX and put in a spektrum so I can use my DX8 but I suddenly realized I dont know the first thing about Spektrum receivers lol. So heres a list of questions I have.

1) Is the AR610 kind of the basic cheap all around for helis and planes? If not which one is the common one that people use?
2) What about more expensive 6CH RXs? what makes them so special?

3) if I needed a full blown 8ch RX for some reason whats the best model to get for that?

4) whats the deal with the RXs that have the satellites? When do you need to use one of those?

Thanks in advance.

The 8 channel is fine. All you really need is 6. I got a 7 ch for retracts. If you have an 8 channel you can still fly the heli with just a 4 ch Rx. By satellites, I'm guessing you mean one of these:
SPMAR6210_a0?wid=1400&hei=778.jpg

That's actually an additional antenna pick up and is NOT meant to be mounted as you see it in the pic, but the secondary is to have the antennas mounted opposite from the direction of the mains, like one side to side and the other one up and down, farther back. The purpose being that the Rx will never lose signal when spinning and twisting during 3D flying. ONE of the antennas will always be in a position where the signal is not blocked.
I don't do 3D but I use those just as an additional fail safe in the system.

The 8 channel is fine. All you really need is 6. I got a 7 ch for retracts. If you have an 8 channel you can still fly the heli with just a 4 ch Rx. By satellites, I'm guessing you mean one of these:
SPMAR6210_a0?wid=1400&hei=778.jpg

That's actually an additional antenna pick up and is NOT meant to be mounted as you see it in the pic, but the secondary is to have the antennas mounted opposite from the direction of the mains, like one side to side and the other one up and down, farther back. The purpose being that the Rx will never lose signal when spinning and twisting during 3D flying. ONE of the antennas will always be in a position where the signal is not blocked.
I don't do 3D but I use those just as an additional fail safe in the system.

That is what I meant Rolex. I just didnt know the proper name for them or what they were for but that makes perfect sense. So If I'm just messing around with this old belt cp and i dont want to spend much money on it then I'm assuming an AR610 is fine and if I had a nicer heli that I was worried about then the AR6210 is the better option? What model number are good 7 and 8 channel RXs? Just incase i ever find myself looking for one?

I had a DX6i for my 350 QX3 BNF and I did not need a different RX. It should work with your Spektrum DX8 right out of the box.

whats the deal with the RXs that have the satellites? When do you need to use one of those?
The GPS is necessary to fly the quad and it doesn't give you the ability to GPS waypoint the quad so much as it gives it a location for takeoff and an assumption for where you are standing from it. IE it will not come closer than 15 feet to you from where it took off at. Without GPS lock the blades won't even turn on. Hope this helps.

OOOoooh, you mean using ACTUAL satellites? Wow, I've given erroneous information twice it one thread. I guess it's time for me to retire.
The boss won't be happy. That's now a total of 3 times I've been wrong on this site. The other time was back on '04 when I thought I was mistaken but I was wrong. :p
Thanks again for the catch, @Warrior4Jesus

I'll either have to read the threads a bit more carefully...as in translating "BNF", or I can just blame Hamz for a poorly worded thread. Yeah, it was Hamz' fault. It has to be.

Last edited:
It' NOT my fault. You need to sniff some more Turtle Wax before reading posts here, @Rolex....

OOOoooh, you mean using ACTUAL satellites? Wow, I've given erroneous information twice it one thread. I guess it's time for me to retire.
The boss won't be happy. That's now a total of 3 times I've been wrong on this site. The other time was back on '04 when I thought I was mistaken but I was wrong. :p
Thanks again for the catch, @Warrior4Jesus

I'll either have to read the threads a bit more carefully...as in translating "BNF", or I can just blame Hamz for a poorly worded thread. Yeah, it was Hamz' fault. It has to be.
You were on the right track Rolex. I never mentioned my 350QX, I clearly stated that its for my old Belt CP in the OP, and you can fly the 350QX without GPS. I've done it in my basement. You just have to disable it first. When I said satellite I was referring to the pic you posted with the extra cross antenna piece. Not GPS satellites in space.

lol, its fine Rolex is old and easily mislead. He'll probably thump us around with his banhammer a bit cuz hes crotchity...he sometimes randomly yells out his window at the imaginary kids who are playing on his imaginary RC track..."Get off my track you darn kids!" :p

So what are those extra rx pieces actually called anyway?

Would please stop hollering at those darn kids, @Rolex. Some of us are trying to sleep.

So you were yelling at the kids in your sleep?