Heater for 200sq.ft

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowngreen

Robmob is a Californian.
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Looking around for a electric, either plug in or wire to its own breaker (120v though) heater to do 200sq.ft with little insulation, but while being effeciant too.
Not wanting a wall or ceiling mount.

Kinda wanting a fake fireplace setup with adjustable thermostat too.

Any of you have any experience with this one or similar? I'm looking for under $200.

I was looking at this one, which I was really wanting, has all the specs I was wanting, which says its more efficaint that propane and other electrics and forced air, but I happened to see one yesterday in Kings and its little, makes me leary of it, although I read a review by a guy saying he uses it to do a 1700 sq.ft home, just one....Not sure if I believe that though.
Id gladly give up the fake flames if the second one is as good as it says.

If you have little installation in the room then u will be wasting money trying to heat it the unit will never shut down. I had a very small air leak on one corner of my door. So small I had a hard time finding it. My furnace was turning on every 15 min until I found the leak. Now it turns on once a hour if that.

Point being if u have a forced air furnace with a run close to your room y want to heat tap off of it and heat that room as well. Take the money u save from purchasing the unit and what u would save on hydro and put it into more insulation.

That based on the assumption u have forced air. I have heard mixed reviews on those infrared heaters and most say they do not work that well.

No forced air, its a room out by itself. Its actually a car tent (canvas, with a osb room built inside. No air leaks in it and the dead air between the tent and the osb makes a pretty good insulation on its own.

I've/we've had the wall mount 110 units in some rooms, even in the house with lots of insulation and they dont seem to work either really. Well, not without running a bunch. I'm guessing base boards would be the same result too?

MV5BMzM4NjY1NDg0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEzNDUwNA@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Move where the heat is!

The biggest thing to remember with baseboard. They need air movement. A small fan makes them work well

I found another one of those infareds that says its for 1500sq ft. Also is a 120v 1500watt setup. What changes to make them rated for larger space if the voltage and wattage stays the same?

From what I have noticed is they basically just make the fan spin faster I've never noticed the elements get any hotter

The infrared will bake you out of a 200 sq ft area, that's alot of heat for such a small space. I think the one you posted is rated a little high for only 1500 watts, but infrared is the cat's ass! We have a 5000 btu Edenpure heating our entire 1400 sq ft home in western new york.

The infrared will bake you out of a 200 sq ft area, that's alot of heat for such a small space. I think the one you posted is rated a little high for only 1500 watts, but infrared is the cat's ass! We have a 5000 btu Edenpure heating our entire 1400 sq ft home in western new york.

Really?

It doesn't list its btu's but from others in the same catagory, they were all listed at 4600. Hmmmm. So even though its hella small it actually does its job?

Yeah the infrareds are pretty sweet. We do run the oil furnace at night, but that little heater keeps us cozy downstairs on a 20° day that isn't too windy.