Header heaters - useful tool or pointless purchase?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptrthgr8

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, all.

As I've been breaking in the .21 Dynamite engine on my new Losi 8IGHT buggy I've used my heat gun to get the engine up to the 200-220F range before starting and using it as needed while running to keep it there. But my heat gun uses a standard 120v household plug, so using it when out in the field isn't something I can do.

So, these 12v header warmers... are they useful? Or once the engine is broken in, does starting it cold not matter as much?

I'm still a nitro newbie, so I appreciate everyone's help thus far.

Cheers!

It will start cold.. just takes a little longer.. I use a little little touch if that cold out to help out with starting to get the fuel a little less jelly.. the heat helps with freeing up the nitro... here is a article about starting nitros.for ya bud...

"The Definitive 10 Step Guide On How To Start Your Nitro RC Car" https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/blog/201...step-guide-on-how-to-start-your-nitro-rc-car/
Sorry dam phone little lighter torch
Just don't hold it on motor move it back and forth not in one spot or a pencil one... yes the furl is flammable but I have never had any issues...
Here because I'm sure you like really a tourch.. and sure your new to nitro since your asking about this so here you go

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L8D8RHB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_E4TX8KR343DXZZN6K8PG
WAIT YOU USE THE HEAT GUN WHILE ITS RUNNING?? WHY YOU SHOULD NOT BEING USEING IT DURING RUN TIME ONLY TO HELP STAT UP. THATS IT!!! I only use a torch on Low in the winter outside other then that just a heat gun.. they make nitro engine heater tops like in F1 racing engine warmer..can get them anywhere that will hook to a lipo battery..

Last edited:
Once the engine is broken in you dont need to warm it up first unless its cold outside. Once temps drop below 50 or 60F then you'll want to heat it up some before trying to start it. Once its started then it will be fine unless it cools completely back down again. The engine warmers are nice to have if you run in cold weather.

I agree with stoner though once you heat the engine up and get it running, even during break in theres no need to continue to heat it up. Just adjust your tune so that the engine runs somewhere around 200F and then break it in around that temp. can be a little lower or a little higher, its not super critical. the biggest thing is just get through the entire break in process before being rough with the engine.

I did my initial break-in runs using VP's Golden Break-in fuel, which is 13% nitro and 14% oil. I live in North Dakota, which tends to be wicked windy on most days, so between the lower nitro content and generally high winds in the backyard, I was having trouble getting the engine to run as rich as it needed to be and getting above 160-170F. So I would use my heat gun as needed to keep it around 200F. I went through 6 tanks of that break-in fuel before moving to VP's Tessmann blend that has 30% nitro. And while using that fuel and leaning it out a tad, I used my heat gun for the initial start, but was easily able to maintain a 200-210F range. I've gone through probably 2 1/2 tanks of that 30% blend - sorta hard to know exactly how much I've used since I kept it running and just topped off the tank as needed (didn't need to heat cycle it like I did with the initial break-in tanks).

But ya'll have answered my question - I don't really need the header warmer once the engine is broken in. It's still summer here in ND, so likely won't be running in temps below 80 degrees any time soon. When we get to fall I'll revisit things to see if a heater is actually needed.

Thanks, all!

I did my initial break-in runs using VP's Golden Break-in fuel, which is 13% nitro and 14% oil. I live in North Dakota, which tends to be wicked windy on most days, so between the lower nitro content and generally high winds in the backyard, I was having trouble getting the engine to run as rich as it needed to be and getting above 160-170F. So I would use my heat gun as needed to keep it around 200F. I went through 6 tanks of that break-in fuel before moving to VP's Tessmann blend that has 30% nitro. And while using that fuel and leaning it out a tad, I used my heat gun for the initial start, but was easily able to maintain a 200-210F range. I've gone through probably 2 1/2 tanks of that 30% blend - sorta hard to know exactly how much I've used since I kept it running and just topped off the tank as needed (didn't need to heat cycle it like I did with the initial break-in tanks).

But ya'll have answered my question - I don't really need the header warmer once the engine is broken in. It's still summer here in ND, so likely won't be running in temps below 80 degrees any time soon. When we get to fall I'll revisit things to see if a heater is actually needed.

Thanks, all!
Now its starting to make sense bud.. got way to much oil in your fuel. That's way your temps are so low. With the nitro you really want to run fuel with about 10% oil..the more oil the less methane your running..which your engine won't run at top level.. you should switch fuels..I run 33% O'Donnells with 8-10% oil..
A heater would be a good Idea when it's cold. These things are PAINS to start cold.
If you have a good tune on the engine 2-3 pulls of the pull start it should start.. if you haven that much of a PITA to start you should lean out some.. means it's running rich and to much unspent fuel in block. Maken it hard to turn over

Now its starting to make sense bud.. got way to much oil in your fuel. That's way your temps are so low. With the nitro you really want to run fuel with about 10% oil..the more oil the less methane your running..which your engine won't run at top level.. you should switch fuels..I run 33% O'Donnells with 8-10% oil..

I'm definitely still a nitro newbie, so I know I don't know all the answers yet, but I was following Botajell's break-in process since it was recommended by several others here and he does use a really rich mixture and a heat gun to keep the temps around 200F while going through the initial heat cycles. I don't recall what blend of fuel he was using, but I went with the VP line of fuels for one simple reason - I'm familiar with their full size products, so felt their nitro offerings would be quality, too. And they had one blend the was designed specifically for engine break-in, so I went with it. (Might be all marketing hype, of course, but I didn't know any better because of the whole noob thing. :) )

But for regular running, I am using their Tessmann blend, which is 30% nitro and, I believe, 9% oil. I could absolutely tell the difference between the two blends after only a few seconds into the first tank. I might be new to nitro, but even *my* ears and nose quickly discerned the differences. :D

Cheers!

I'm definitely still a nitro newbie, so I know I don't know all the answers yet, but I was following Botajell's break-in process since it was recommended by several others here and he does use a really rich mixture and a heat gun to keep the temps around 200F while going through the initial heat cycles. I don't recall what blend of fuel he was using, but I went with the VP line of fuels for one simple reason - I'm familiar with their full size products, so felt their nitro offerings would be quality, too. And they had one blend the was designed specifically for engine break-in, so I went with it. (Might be all marketing hype, of course, but I didn't know any better because of the whole noob thing. :) )

But for regular running, I am using their Tessmann blend, which is 30% nitro and, I believe, 9% oil. I could absolutely tell the difference between the two blends after only a few seconds into the first tank. I might be new to nitro, but even *my* ears and nose quickly discerned the differences. :D

Cheers!
Yeah man👍👍 sorry if I was a di*k wasn't trying to be.. let me start with that.. to be honest I've never heard of him or that type of break in process before..or ever useing a heat gun to keep engine temp up while break in..the heat gun is just used to heat up the fuel in motor to make is easier to Start that's it nothing else bud. Especially in the cold if you RC is kept in a cold place. I keep all mine in my garage. that I don't let get under 60 during the winter months.so that my nitro fuel doesn't gel on me..Once the temps here on the jersey shore hits 40 or below. which would make for a hard start or a so called cold start.. for break in process I usually just fill tank and it takes about 5-6 tanks.. each tank you go from just tiny bit of throttle then break full stop. Then next a little more throttle then break. That till tank 2-3. Then 1/2 throttle continuous.then 5 more same by 6 should be wide open throttle.. but you need the engine to get HOT. By the end so that the sleve and piston can mold properly to each other..I usually just use the % nitro I will be running in the RC after break in.. so I'm lost with the 200° break in.. that was said to you or the higher oil content for break in thats why you couldn't get your temps up the rich setting and oil content wouldn't allow for good combustion..a nitro engine usually runs around 240-270 some 280.. but that's it and at a very good tune...and with a good tune it shouldn't be hard or a pain to start at all.. if tou have a pull start 2-4 oulls it should fire up with a good tune.. after break in I guess.. did you start to lean out the HSN. For optimal performance..or tune the engine to. And with the new fuel your running in the engine?and when taken temps should be down in cooling head where the plug goes in.. that will give your best temp reading.. with any temp gun..to read temp.. and if running in very cold which is very rare I usually put some tin foil around my cooling head to help keep engine warm.. and not allow it to get cold even when I'm running it.. if you have ?? About anything just ask that's what we are all here for.. you can PM anytime you feel like it bud no worries will try to help or answer any ?? You have or are thinking about.. there is alot of very knowledgeable guys here.. that will help in any way they can... greywolf Cbacker Tunedpipe ,Xraycer.. backer is very knowledgeable in nitro wolf is a electric genius.. we all here to help sorry if I had come off as a as*hat last nite or early.. need something I will be on all nite

Yeah man👍👍 sorry if I was a di*k wasn't trying to be.. let me start with that..
Oh no, man. Not at all! I've taken absolutely zero offense with anything you've written. I was just providing some background to explain my process. My apologies if it came across as being defensive - wasn't my intention at all. You've obviously got a lot more experience and knowledge with these nitro machines than I do, so I appreciate the info you've provided so far and hope you continue to help me learn.

Cheers, dude!

Oh no, man. Not at all! I've taken absolutely zero offense with anything you've written. I was just providing some background to explain my process. My apologies if it came across as being defensive - wasn't my intention at all. You've obviously got a lot more experience and knowledge with these nitro machines than I do, so I appreciate the info you've provided so far and hope you continue to help me learn.

Cheers, dude!
Hell no your fine bud. No worries . i can come off as a di*k some times it's just me. I'm very blunt and to the point.. I try not to beat around the bush..glad to help bud.... any other ?? Or concerns post up or you can PM me anytime... my avatar isn't just for 💩 & 🤣 it's actually my name LOL🤣🤣🤣

Cheers!
30/9 is a good blend to run. I run Odonnell's 30/8 and I love it. I break my engines in with the same stuff. I've tried several different break in methods over the years and for the regular basher, I dont think it makes much difference which process you use. just my .02

30/9 is a good blend to run. I run Odonnell's 30/8 and I love it. I break my engines in with the same stuff. I've tried several different break in methods over the years and for the regular basher, I dont think it makes much difference which process you use. just my .02
I love the Odonnell's fuel I run the 33/10 in the 1/10 truck and 20/8 in my buggies.. i love it good fuel for sure...
16293201448187806797595111249394.jpg

Cheers, dude!
Here some info on the nitro fuel.. so you can get a better idea about it..

https://www.rccaraction.com/fast-facts-nitro-fuel/

https://www.rccaraction.com/complete-nitro-power-get-started-guide/

Last edited: