Hard clay with light dirt on top

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaang

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
what type of tires would i need to run on a track that is clay underneath but very low bite dirt on top. I would think i would need something that really sticks to the ground well.

What do mean "low bite"-loose?

the clay underneath is really hard but the dirt on top is just like sand almost. there is just enough of it to take the traction away from the buggy. its not like beach sand. lets put it this way it is like a piece of glas and you throw dirt on it. its almost that slick out there. (overexagerated but i hope you see what i am saying)
:juggle:

Wow that sounds just like the track up in Denver! Maybe its the same dirt. Last season I found that the crimefighters work well on it. The thing is with our dirt that small amount of sand got to be a good amount after about 5minn. of a race.

What does everyone else run?
The tires that came with my HB pro 2 have what I call a med. spike with directional cups on them. They are decent on clay, and great on loose top soil. Mayby they would be worth a try?

If they are the same as the old HB1 tire they waork about the same as the CF tires. The only thing is the ones that came on my old pro didn't last too long.

I run Ofna +/=, Crimefighter M2 and Knuckles XTR. I like the +/= on conditions like you described, Knuckles on pavement and Crimefighters on just about everything else. We have a sticky clay type surface on teh track I run at, and if the track is freshly watered, the +/= and Crimefighters are like velcro tires. If it's moist, I run the CF's or the knuckles. Bone dry, +/=. But out of the 3 that I run, I like the Crimefighters the best. Sometimes I run (for tuning) on a baseball diamond near my house. It's hardpack under sandy dusty soil. The +/= are my choice on that.

anyone got a website on the +/= ones for me

Ya i am in Albuquerque NM our soil is going to be almost identical to the soil in Denver.

I'm pretty sure Towers has them. If that's what you meant, I'll try to find some info (for mailorder).

thanks that is exactly what i meant usually i work till 9 pm so i rarely get a chance to go to LHS so mailorder is what i do most times.

Here's them on Towers,
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCWE7&P=7

My bad, they're called X-Equals. I think they're an M2 compound, they're kind of soft. Just a heads up on the tread life. I tanked 2 rims before I got mine broke in good. Just waiting to finish the rims completely before taking the rubbers off and putting them on dish rims.

sounds just like our local track, crimefighters fo sho, is there a hose at the track?

I would have picked knuckles.

Anyone at your track running knuckles?

Better yet, what is the majority at your track running?

i am trying to get an edge to start the season not sure what the other guys will be running because i just moved here and am starting all over. have run the track a few times and i slide quite a bit with just the pins on em.

and yes there is a hose. Why?

Water the track a bit. But if they race it dry, then practice dry. Also get some tires that hook up good on the surface that will be run (dry or watered) and learn to drive it. That's whay I was playing on the baseball diamond, to learn drift driving and how my car reacts in that condition. Albeit, the track I run on is watered nearly constantly, I wanted to try dry loose stuff for a while. Point it, practice what you race and choose your tires accordingly.

The track down here is like you've described. It's very hard packed with an almost dusting of loose dirt on top. They water the track a bit but it doesn't do as much to the hardness that I would like.

Everyone here runs Crimefighters. Really, everyone. A few guys at practice were running whatever ofna tires, but during the races it's 99% crimefighters. It's what I have on my buggy too (m2 compound), and it seems to work well.

I also have a set of Knuckles in the XTR compound but I haven't had the chance to really try them out yet. My guess is that they won't grip quite as well but I do like the feel of the knuckles in general so who knows.

As a footnote, I took some proline white dish rims and attempted to dye them grey, with some black dye. I am now the proud owner of four purple rims with crimefighters attached. Since I broke my wing, and couldn't get a black one, I got a white one and said what the hell, so I dyed it purple too so it would match the rims. You know? It actually looks pretty cool!

I have used the Knuckles on the dirt like you are talking about and have to say I didn't like them! Blue groove all the way and that's about it. Go with the CF you wont be disappointed!

If there is a hose I bet it will be watered down.

Well you would think but it's the west and we don't have much water! I know the track I goto has a hose but they only water like two times a day and it is just enough to get the top wet then it drys fast this is hot dry west.

I think they spray ours the night before. It's inside a barn

Back