Had to replace my Revo 3.3 with about 1/4 of the first gallon ran threw

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qucy5

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Now the new one is so tight my ez starter won't crank it I'm using the pull-starter that came with and glow plug igniter and it's a pain to crank too. How can I get this thing loosened up? And should I use the more restricting air filter that came with engine until I get it tuned cause this one runs horrible the engine that came on the Revo ran great straight out the box.

Could do what many will do with the marine nitro engines, and lap the piston/sleeve using a lapping compound.

Lapping the piston and/or sleeve on a ground based nitro is not a very good idea.... However there are a couple tricks to your problem.....first you can pre heat the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer to get it up to temp before you try to start it. You can also crack the glow plug open just a tiny bit to release a bit of the compression then tighen it back up once you get it started. I use both when I am breaking in a new engine. Remember to put the piston back down to the bottom of the stroke everytime the engine shut down.

Lapping the piston and/or sleeve on a ground based nitro is not a very good idea.... However there are a couple tricks to your problem.....first you can pre heat the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer to get it up to temp before you try to start it. You can also crack the glow plug open just a tiny bit to release a bit of the compression then tighen it back up once you get it started. I use both when I am breaking in a new engine. Remember to put the piston back down to the bottom of the stroke everytime the engine shut down.

wouldnt agree with that...and even STS says to lap in the piston/sleeve on their engines (even though they recommend using tooth paste which i dont believe in using).

I know quite a few guys who lap in their sets, onroad, offroad, marine.. their engines always run good. But everyone always has their own beliefs on whats best to do :)

Yeah I noticed the glow plug wasn't tightened all the way down out the box. I'm gonna try the blow dryer trick and glow plug thing see how that works out... Thanks

CrazyFuel....this is true every one has their way of doing it however, lapping the engine is one of those things that if not done properly can destroy an engine esp. if not propperly cleaned afterwards. I do not recomend it to anyone other than advanced users.

I'm new to the RC world so lapping a engine..... have no clue what he was talking about but the glow plug thing worked like a champ blew fuel in my face towns smoked alot but started right up.

Thanks for the help ripped it up today will start tuning tomorrow.

You only lap things that are made of similar or identical metals. A chrome plated brass sleeve expands more than an aluminum piston. Free it up with lapping compound and it's ruined.

take the ez geartrain a part. the part at the bottom , that holds the cushions . trim the inside dia to make it loose. do that to the other parts. so the moving parts have more clearance. and put ALL the cushions in. also the lights on a ez-start hand wand dont mean anything.

30+ years in the hobby of nitro engines. Boats, planes, helis, on road and off road.
This is the first suggestion EVER to lap a new engine. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT something that needs to be done to them.

30+ years in the hobby of nitro engines. Boats, planes, helis, on road and off road.
This is the first suggestion EVER to lap a new engine. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT something that needs to be done to them.

You name it I've tried it in 40yrs in the hobby never have heard of lapping a piston &sleeve I'm backing rolex on this one.Thats 70yrs between us we might know what were talkin about.:D

Lapping is for overclocked computers, you lap the CPU and the heat sink to give them a better contact surface. Nitro? No.

i have used 1,000 sand paper to take a very very small amount off the pistion. have done 3 this way, no trouble. the trick is to take only a small amount. the amount is so small you can't even measure it with a mic

i took the starter of mine, took out the glow plug and put a cordless drill to it and turned it for a couple of mins, it freed mine up enough to get it started then i did the usual break in procedure. I dont know if this is a good idea or not but it worked for me and iv hand no problems..................so far

Back