Guess whats back! HPI Savage 5.9

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the mid range housing ,the over all housing is aluminum ,the internal brass
housing for the needle has a tapered lip just on the outer inside ,needle should
be flush with that edge of that lip ,but if not ,it wont kill your engine if it not perfect!
The mid can also be tuned anyway if your engine seems kind of sluggish through
the 1/4 to 1/2 range throttling!..:thumbs-up:
Thank you for explaining this...
I think you mean the "inner" ridge of the LSN hole, to which it was flush with before disassembling.
Glad I marked it and put it back exactly as it was, so long as the previous owner did not touch it.

To be honest, I dread 3 needle carbs, because of mid range needle, every video out there says don't touch it.
I am yet to find a good tutorial on mid range needle.

Maybe thats why HPI decided to omit it from the new 5.9

Thank you for explaining this...
I think you mean the "inner" ridge of the LSN hole, to which it was flush with before disassembling.
Glad I marked it and put it back exactly as it was, so long as the previous owner did not touch it.

To be honest, I dread 3 needle carbs, because of mid range needle, every video out there says don't touch it.
I am yet to find a good tutorial on mid range needle.

Maybe thats why HPI decided to omit it from the new 5.9

Yea ,the factory set of that needle is close enough ,it is usually the racer that fine tunes that
needle ,an I think it dont take much turn ,maybe a couple of hairs!..:hehe:

But it is also one more spot that is prone to leak an wreak havoc ,I had leakage
there before on a couple of my carbs ,I just put a small amount of sealer on the threads!

Yea ,the factory set of that needle is close enough ,it is usually the racer that fine tunes that
needle ,an I think it dont take much turn ,maybe a couple of hairs!..:hehe:

But it is also one more spot that is prone to leak an wreak havoc ,I had leakage
there before on a couple of my carbs ,I just put a small amount of sealer on the threads!

That reminds me, I was gonna cover it with silicone, which I forgot to do, and now its all oily.
Did not hear any leak when I blew trough the carb.

That reminds me, I was gonna cover it with silicone, which I forgot to do, and now its all oily.
Did not hear any leak when I blew trough the carb.

I noticed mine leaking from the mid needle when the engine was running ,there was actual
bubbles coming out ,an the needle was vibrating in & out ,so I pulled it out ,cleaned it an
smeared silicone on the threads an set it to flush an smeared silicone over the outside head
of the needle!..:hehe:

I wonder if there is any plans to re-release Savage Octane.
Would buy that in an instant!
I don't foresee that happening. It seems as if all of the gas 1/8th scale vehicles have pretty much been abandoned :( It doesn't help that they were all plagued with issues too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I need to figure out an electric conversion for my Sav Octane eventually. :)

Is the engine busted?
Was the octane really as bad as everyone says?
The ones I see running on youtube run really well.
The guy on here that gave it to me hated it so much he was about to throw it in the trash so I talked him in to sending it to me instead. So I can't personally tell you. I was on a hiatus from the hobby during the octane days.