GS Storm Vs Ofna 9.5 - The final Battle!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthRacer

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK. If you all have put up with my buggy indecision so far, thanks for staying tuned in!

I have finally narrowed down the search to 2 buggies.

1) GS Storm - 80% non-RTR version
2) Ofna 9.5 RTR

I need the following if you can provide it for either or both buggies:

1) Pros
2)Cons
3)Necessary upgrades
4)Spares to keep on hand

And yes, I'm aware the Storm needs an engine, so a Hyper 8-port is the engine of choice.

Thanks!!
:buggy1:

The storm is great and has tons of hop-up support. Me and my friend robert love ours and so does James Stewart and Malcom his little brother does also. James stewart is the #1 Motocross rider and a great guy :D You can get every part for the storm replaced by something better by foironi.

SGTB, you have a "hookup" on fironi parts, don't you? PM me if you have details.

If you're just going to bash, either one are good. I've read bad things abuot the OFNA buggies but it should be ok for bashing. The steering servo is a bit weak but all RTR buggies have that problem.

Storm 80% not RTR. I'm a little confused. If this is the storm pro, you may want to consider the costs if you're only going to bash. The Storm Pro is really just for racing. You'll need an engine, exhaust and a radio which will run you some bucks. The storm RTR comes with a nice radio (JR XR2), but it sounds like you may not be getting that.

If we're talking Storm RTR vs Ofna 9.5 RTR. Get the Storm, hands down.

However, if you want to race, you may want to look past the RTR and get a good pro kit. (lots of bucks that way no matter how you do it)

RobH - Here's the scoop.
My LHS has a Storm, 80% complete. No engine or radio.
It dosen't say it's a Pro, but I wasn't looking that closely at the box. Did GS ever release a kit that wasn't a Pro??

I've been leaning towards the Storm. :buggy1:

Yeah, it's the Storm ARR (Almost Ready to Run)

So I should stay away from the Ofna buggies eh?

I guess the Storm will be better even if it is not the Pro version.
I should call my LHS tomorrow to put it on hold for me!!

:banana:
Good pick! I'll be getting some nice pictures of some flying storms.

What hop-ups do you suggest first for the Storm?

In some of my more dramatic flips I kept bending the shock towers. I upgraded to the Titanium ones and no more bending.
I have also added a 5 cell NiMH receiver pack, a failsafe, and a voltwatch battery monitor. The stock tires don't last, in fact I wouldn't even bother gluing them on. Get something better and use the stock wheels. The stock pipe is LOUD. I added a dynamite dual chamber pipe. As far as a 'first' upgrade......
probably the tires, they will go quick.

I have seen 2 rear shock towers bend but it only happened when my friend was trying to do backflips. He hit the jump at full speed and then held the trigger and the buggy roared but only went vetrical and came back donw on the wing which broke the top of his plastic gearbox. But that was his own damn fault. He should of realized the car stopped turning when it got completly vertical and should of hit the brakes. :trout:

I'm starting a GS Storm thread fellas. Look for it!!

I uploaded some Storm shots of it flying.

Originally posted by SilentGTboy
He hit the jump at full speed and then held the trigger and the buggy roared but only went vetrical and came back donw on the wing which broke the top of his plastic gearbox.

That's the main reason I wouldn't touch a storm. I've been doing nothing but crashing exactly like that for the last month or so, and I would be dissapointed in my buggy if anything major like that broke.

Everything in stock form bends towers, its not a big deal. But diff cases breaking is a different kettle of fish i reckon.

If your not doing things like that the storm should be fine, but (okay okay just for laughs..... ) I would personally hand 100 bucks to someone who could manage to do that same thing on a ferno through jumping. Just bragging - but I do know its almost physically impossible through experience.

Ofna buggies arent too bad.... but it seems like there are a million storm guys here, so ill play it safe - and say go for the storm. :D

I've already bought the Storm. The only Ofna on my buggy will be the failsafe and the engine.

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5

That's the main reason I wouldn't touch a storm. I've been doing nothing but crashing exactly like that for the last month or so, and I would be dissapointed in my buggy if anything major like that broke.

Everything in stock form bends towers, its not a big deal. But diff cases breaking is a different kettle of fish i reckon.

If your not doing things like that the storm should be fine, but (okay okay just for laughs..... ) I would personally hand 100 bucks to someone who could manage to do that same thing on a ferno through jumping. Just bragging - but I do know its almost physically impossible through experience.

Ofna buggies arent too bad.... but it seems like there are a million storm guys here, so ill play it safe - and say go for the storm. :D

:sniper:

Ergal Rear Gearbox brace fixxes everything.

Radios and fuel tanks

Originally posted by militarymaxx
In some of my more dramatic flips I kept bending the shock towers. I upgraded to the Titanium ones and no more bending.
I have also added a 5 cell NiMH receiver pack, a failsafe, and a voltwatch battery monitor. The stock tires don't last, in fact I wouldn't even bother gluing them on. Get something better and use the stock wheels. The stock pipe is LOUD. I added a dynamite dual chamber pipe. As far as a 'first' upgrade......
probably the tires, they will go quick.

Buckeye_Storm here! I ran my Storm full throttle into a two ton dumpster last night. Seems the radio batteries droped to 7-8 volts. Good news, the car suffered ONLY a broken fuel tank? The chassis right at the back of the front conrol arms may be bent a teeny bit upward, kickup, like the caster (right word?) on the 1/10 buggies. Anyhoo, no spare fule tanks in central Ahia, so I bought an Ofna tank at Capstone and may try my T-Maxx tank. These are just temp fixes to get me through the weedend. I may have withdrawals if I can't drive my Storm. Yea I got a XXT 9 turn seven cell, a tmaxx, evader, tamiya sadan,hmmm what else? Oh yea, 16 $45 slot cars for my basement track 14x8 ft those sumbitches rip 19 feet a second and you do have to drive them. I'm rambling off topic.
TIP OF the day go to JEGs and get a K+N valve cover breather with a 1/2 inch diameter opening and use it for your air filter. Once you go K+N you'll never go back. Your motor will get more clean air than it ever has. Kinda supercharges it.
Big question. New fuel tank???? Can we fit a bigger tank in our storms?? Bueller?
Next big question: These JR radios that come with the Storm are
awesome, I guess they cost $160 alone. That said they suck electricity like New York:LoL:
I have seen people with "supplemental battery sources" hooked to their belts. I would like to go that way this JR sucks to much power and I am tired of recharging my AA's ever night.
:help::burp: