great day turned sad... :(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagefan04

Hardcore RCTalk User
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
so my day started out great. I finished up my yard details early and I had just cracked a beer and lit a cigar when my wife came into the garage saying the dog just vomited and there is blood in it.

so i raced in and find my pooch all droopy and obviously not doing well. we cleaned up her and waited a few minutes to see if it would pass. About 15 minutes later she vomited again this time no blood but a decent amount of bile. So off i take her to the animerge. on the way there i'm thinking to myself she ate some mulch or some other landscape item and its playing havoc with her stomach, no big deal.

Once at the animerge i speak with the vet and give her the details of her behavior over the past week (i remembered during all the questions that she hasn’t eaten her normal bowl of food lately) and that caused the vet to think it was probably something obstructing her stomach/lower intestines. so off they take her for blood work and x-rays. about 30 minutes later they come back and deliver the news that my 8 year old rotty has late stage cancer in her liver, pancrease, stomach and it looks to have reached her lungs as well. the tumor is roughly the size of a palm sized nerf football and its pushing her stomach onto her spine and lower intestines. they basically told me that she has anywhere from a few days to a couple months left to live. I'm crushed...

They gave us enough medication to get her thru the weekend comfortably but come monday/tuesday I’ll be taking her to get put down. I'm still in shock. It’s come on so strong and so quick it just doesn’t seem fair...:(

damn man, I'm sorry to hear that, horrible way to end the day.

Man it just hurts when something like a dog strives to gain your attention all through the years you've been with them. They become so loyal to you no matter what the up or down is when you are with them. To see them hurt to the point you have no choice... man I feel for ya' I hate it. It's good that you have had the time to spend with her.

That's so sad. I'm really sorry to hear that. My partner made it to 16, and the day he went was one of the worst days of my entire life. I really feel your pain.

I can't recall who said it, but the comment was, "If it's true that dogs DON'T go to Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go.
That pretty much says it all about how special our canine buddies are.

yeah...its been a rough day but the meds do seem to be helping her. she is actually laying in the kitchen taking a nice nap and snoring up a storm.

she was a great dog. she was my wife's, now kids security guard. I was always amazed at how she always positioned herself between house visitors and them. if one person moved she moved to gain a better spot. it was unreal how protective she was of the kids.

Hey Gabe, I am very sorry to hear this news, and I can completely sympathize with you. I had a rot sheppard mix, she was my best friend for 11 years, but at around 10 she had the same symptoms as yours, found out she had a softball size tumor. I had her operated on to remove it, but it was only a year until the cancer returned. I was not going to let her suffer so I did the right thing, and held her in my arms as she went to sleep. I still miss her today and that was 5 years ago. They are more than a pet, they are a part of the family, and it really sucks to have something like this happen. Again, I'm very sorry to hear the news buddy.

Damn, Gabe. I am sooo sorry to hear that. I'll light up a nice Cusano 18 (Maduro of course) with ya some day in rememberance or our departed four-legged friends.

My sympathies man. As a an avid dog owner myself it's rough when they get sick. I wish you luck my friend.

I don't even know what to say, but I feel for you man.
Dogs and cats are more then just pets they are family, I'm sorry you, your family, and your pooch have to go through this. Our prayers are with you.

I'm sorry to hear that, I have three and dread the day anything like that should happen.

I'm very sorry to hear your news. We wish you luck.

Man, that really sucks. Dogs just spew love until the day they die, and it always hurts to see them go :( I'm a dog owner myself (12 years) and I'd hate to see him go...

I feel the same as all the others. I have a 4 year old weiner dog named Stella. It's amazing how compassionate and loving they are. I had some personal problems for a while(alcoholic to the bone) and that dogs the only one that had my back the whole time. Since I cleaned up, you can tell she acts different. More spunky towards me. She used to just sit next to me a lot or lay on the couch, watching closely. Now she starts crap with me, wanting to play. Dogs have more personality then most people I've met. Very sorry for your loss.

dang bro, sorry to hear it. My first puppy got parvo and only lasted about a week after that. It killed my wife and i to see him go. We got another little puppy and she is just the greatest. Its hard to replace a pet because they have their own personalities and really are just like a family member.

I am at a loss for words bro, all I can say is my deepest condolences go out to and your family, IMO loosing the family dog is like loosing a member of the family, and it just plain sucks.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the kind words and thoughts. I know I’m not heaviest poster here but it’s comforting to see all the responses. You guys certainly are a special bunch. Thank you for being here…

It’s been a rough couple days but we’ve all spent it doing special little things with her to make her last few days more enjoyable. From a trip to the doggy park to a ride in the car to just sitting on the patio enjoying the air and sun hitting our faces. The weird thing about it is, during these trips she was her old self which makes this all the more difficult. I know it’s the meds helping her so I have to keep reminding myself that it’s for the better and just enjoy the time now.

Well off to take her for a walk…