Gotta get 'lube

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke66

Hardcore RCTalk User
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Anyone know what kind of grease i need to put in my Traxxas 2WD trans?
also, i need to fill the back diff housing on my Arrma Vendetta (around the diff on the outside) what kind of lube do i get for that?

i dont know much about diffs and grease, so any help would be appreciated!

I use Red synthetic grease. from Mobil One. Same thing as red and tacky or lucas oil. I use that in my B74 gear boxes, and rusty planetary diff. Or standard black grease can work, but red and tacky is a bit thicker.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-grease-14-oz.-10005/7070036-P?source=certona

This is what I use: https://www.amainhobbies.com/gmk-supply-mobil-1-grease-2oz-gmk0129/p30998 (same / ordinary thing as any others)

This is what my uncle uses: https://www.fasteddybearings.com/dogbone-transmission-grease/

Last edited:
Anyone know what kind of grease i need to put in my Traxxas 2WD trans?
also, i need to fill the back diff housing on my Arrma Vendetta (around the diff on the outside) what kind of lube do i get for that?

i dont know much about diffs and grease, so any help would be appreciated!
Traxxas always says white Lithium. My experience is anything @DavidB1126 says. white lithium dries up and does the opposite.

Valvoline SYNpower Full Synthetic Grease for the gearboxes on my Rustlers and MT10.

The Valvoline is black in color. I actually prefer the Mobil red that David uses and recommends. Just can't find it at the local auto parts store. The Mobil red coloring gives you a visual straight away that the grease is lubing everything it is supposed to.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

Tbh I have no clue what y’all are talking about; isn’t grease grease?
True but not true.
I'm not to scientific into lube and greases. I just use what other people use and what the manual says. Like @Chubaka said, Traxxas says white lithium but it dies up quickly.

That red and tacky stuff, or anything similar to it can be used for anything else. 1:1 Wheel bearings / axles, dogbone pins, bearings, driveshaft splines (metal).
I used it on the lock on our front stormdoor and it shuts and locks smoother (as we installed a new handle) They also use the same grease for NASCAR.

Any Red grease will work the best, get it from a local auto store, because on AMain, its more expensive.

Last edited:
Tbh I have no clue what y’all are talking about; isn’t grease grease?
Grease are not created equally. I'm into high pressure air guns which utilizes air pressure ranging from 2000psi-4500psi. Only 100% silicone grease and oil are to be used in the air chambers/channels. Anything else could cause ignition.

Grease are not created equally. I'm into high pressure air guns which utilizes air pressure ranging from 2000psi-4500psi. Only 100% silicone grease and oil are to be used in the air chambers/channels. Anything else could cause ignition.
Great to know. I noticed s couple of my lipos have been messed with. Also had a light shine in my shop. Looking at a umarex glock 19.

I just used some marine grease I had in the garage for my RC boat and bearing grease I had for my diffs.
I use these syringes to distribute the grease to small places and keep the grease from going everywhere. They are pretty handy and they are reusable.

PXL_20231024_181355673.jpg

I travel up and down a mountain about 8000 feet so I have to make sure I put everything in a zip lock or it will explode in my tool box with the pressure changes.
PXL_20231024_181430078.jpg

This is what potato chip bags look like when we get them home.
PXL_20231024_182610653.jpg

My truck self lubricates with rust, zero maintenance, and works really nice. I just listen for the squeaking sound and I always know where my truck is.

Triflo (bicycle chain lube) for the dog bones and CVs, Lucas red for the diffs, and Philwood (bicycle bearing grease) for the bearings.