Good flying day.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
Today was a good day despite the gusting cross wind. Took out the Freewing 64mm F-22, she is such a great flyer high speed passes or low speed high alpha she remains manageable. She even handles well at deadstick until she hits the stall point.

Also took out the new 4s E-flight T-28. She has got some spunk, she climbs great and is everything a T-28 should be. Some tricky moments with the wind but overall a really good day.

Today was a good day despite the gusting cross wind. Took out the Freewing 64mm F-22, she is such a great flyer high speed passes or low speed high alpha she remains manageable. She even handles well at deadstick until she hits the stall point.

Also took out the new 4s E-flight T-28. She has got some spunk, she climbs great and is everything a T-28 should be. Some tricky moments with the wind but overall a really good day.
Sounds awesome. I've never had the chance to fly an RC plane. Looks like so much fun.

I'm a total newbie. Just took up flying this year. So far, it's been a pricey experience. Bought a laptop just to be able to practice with Real Flight 9. While I'm great at RF, real flying......not so much. So far, I've destroyed 3 planes 🙄 On the positive side, I'm gaining experience in plane repair.
I'm going to take a break from flying for a little while, and just concentrate on the upcoming dirt racing season. I am going to keep on practicing with RF though.

Sounds awesome. I've never had the chance to fly an RC plane. Looks like so much fun.

I'm a total newbie. Just took up flying this year. So far, it's been a pricey experience. Bought a laptop just to be able to practice with Real Flight 9. While I'm great at RF, real flying......not so much. So far, I've destroyed 3 planes 🙄 On the positive side, I'm gaining experience in plane repair.
I'm going to take a break from flying for a little while, and just concentrate on the upcoming dirt racing season. I am going to keep on practicing with RF though.

It is fun, but there is a learning curve. It's good to master one plane, before adding more to your collection. It helps a bunch to have an experienced RC pilot to teach you. I learned the hard way, but l taught the two guys I fly with now and they both picked it up quick.

A lot of it is staying calm, when starting out, many people over react, which leads to over correcting, which leads to disaster, then frustration.

Some basic Things for beginning pilots to remember.

•Take off and land into the wind whenever possible.

• Gentle movements on the sticks, this is the one that gets most beginner's in trouble. It really only takes very light movements on the sticks unless your doing aerobatics.

• When landing, picture an imaginary angled line from where you want your plane to start and end it's decent. To bring your plane down let gravity do the work. Once your plane is at about 12ft off the ground, do not touch the elevator, use throttle management to bring it in and follow that imaginary angle. Keeping the nose level or at a slight upward angle (depending what your are flying) the nose should not be pointing down at this point, or it's going to bounce or do damage.

*ALWAYS LINE UP ON THE RUNWAY BEFORE STARTING YOUR DECENT! If you are not lined up, go around again, there is no shame in going around until you are comfortable with your approach. Beats the heck out of repairs. It's much easier to concentrate on just watching your plane settle into its decent and focusing on throttle control, than it is trying to adjust throttle, and try and come out of a curve and line it up all at once.

• Practice landing. When ever I get a new plane, I do a whole battery of take off and landings, all planes "feel" a little different, so you have to find each planes sweet spot.

I didn't mean to ramble on, but thought some of this might be useful. As I said I learned by trial and error and would have loved this information when I was starting out. Hang In there and don't get frustrated, it does get easier. :)

Last edited:
It is fun, but there is a learning curve. It's good to master one plane, before adding more to your collection. It helps a bunch to have an experienced RC pilot to teach you. I learned the hard way, but l taught the two guys I fly with now and they both picked it up quick.

A lot of it is staying calm, when starting out, many people over react, which leads to over correcting, which leads to disaster, then frustration.

• Gentle movements on the sticks, this is the one that gets most beginner's in trouble. It really only takes very light movements on the sticks unless your doing aerobatics.

• When landing, picture an imaginary angled line from where you want your plane to start and end it's decent. To bring your plane down let gravity do the work. Once your plane is at about 12ft off the ground, do not touch the elevator, use throttle management to bring it in and follow that imaginary angle. Keeping the nose level or at a slight upward angle (depending what your are flying) the nose should not be pointing down at this point, or it's going to bounce or do damage.

*ALWAYS LINE UP ON THE RUNWAY BEFORE STARTING YOUR DECENT! If you are not lined up, go around again, there is no shame in going around until you are comfortable with your approach. Beats the heck out of repairs. It's much easier to concentrate on just watching your plane settle into its decent and focusing on throttle control, than it is trying to adjust throttle, and try and come out of a curve and line it up all at once.

• Practice landing. When ever I get a new plane, I do a whole battery of take off and landings, all planes "feel" a little different, so you have to find each planes sweet spot.

I didn't mean to ramble on, but thought some of this might be useful. As I said I learned by trial and error and would have loved this information when I was starting out. Hang In there and don't get frustrated, it does get easier. :)
Yep, my biggest problem is being too heavy on stick. Panicking. Over compensating. More panicking.
I actually do ok on the landing with my trainers: Aeroscout 1.1 and FMS Ranger 850. With these 2 planes, I can glide in.

I already know id accidentally dive the plane straight into the ground

I just took this pic. This happened a few weeks ago.
0419211629.jpg

I've fixed a couple that have looked like that! A few wooden shish kabob skewers and some 5 minute epoxy and she'll be good as .....uh? almost new. 🤣

This is actually Aeroscout #2. The first one sustained less damage, but still pretty significant. I did get it back together. I got it up into the air, but on the second take-off, it wasn't rolling quite right, and I ended up going nose first into the local elementary school. It actually only crunched in the nose a little bit, but I just decided to get a brand new BNF one since it was only $150.
I'm probably gonna get another one, but not right now. I'm going to stay on terra firma for awhile. 😂

I broke my tailbone trying to get one out of a tree. I should have known better, to add insult to injury I didn't get the plane down either. :cry: Apparently once your in your 50's you should no longer climb trees. 🤣 It's been about a year and a half and my tailbone is still sensitive and long drives kill me. My wife just shook her head and said I was lucky I didn't break my neck...I agreed. :p