good 1/8 scale buggies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmaxx8

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi i was wondering wat are some good 1/8 scale buggies there are

thanks
lyle

The hyper buggies and xtm xterminator deluxe get the highest appraise. (if you're a real person who only has a certain amount of money to spend... :hammer: )

But if money is no limit, then the kyosho 777, Mugen MBX-5, and Xray XB8 are good.

Also, how about you tell us your budget and what you're wanting to do w/ the buggy so we can reccomend one best for you...

he's on a budget...see storm post.

so

mayhem RTR (above average motor, best in class radio, great price 470 i believe)
jammin RTR (great handling, good ofna support, goood price, bout 500)
xterm RTR (very economical price, very good motor, could use a better servo)
hyper RTR (lookin at this, go get the jammin, both fall short to mayhem/xtm on radio)

-Ult

I run the hyper 7 pbs and love it. Great aftermarket support. Good on the track and race legal. 3 out of 4 buggys ult mentioned arent race legal so it depends on what your gonna do with it.

most folks @ club level do not toss RTRs out b/c their engines are over .21. sanctioned races yes. club races, no. clubs are foolish if they turn those folks away b/c its just a huge source of revenue-both racing and hobby store sales. can't get new people into the sport either if u insist they buy an engine. most clubs also allow them in b/c they give newcomers a chance to do well, they know race .21s will cover a .25/.26 rtr, but it makes things close to level for all involved.

-Ult

yes, but the point is that if the rtr has a legal 21 and such, then ALL tracks will allow you to race. Not all tracks will allow you to use your 26 tho...

well u need to find out what ur local track(s) will let you do. i'm tellin those who dont allow it for even club events u'd prolly not wanna run at anyway b/c all their all super hardcore and take things way too serious. again, can't get new blood into the sport and get people to buy stuff from you simply b/c their ready to run came w/a bigger 'sport' motor. good tracks will let u run it w/no quabble. they know race .21s still have ya covered on power. dont buy a buggy RTR just b/c it has a 'legal' motor in it. u'll be movin on from that sport motor after a while anyway, so go invest in a good buggy, run at a good track w/good people. then put the nice motor in ur nice buggy and have a ball.

-Ult

from what I understand clubs (even hardcore ones) will allow people to race the larger mills but if they start whooping ass with it then it's an issue...that's what mine does....

lol, be like, "But I swear! My LX Comp came from the LHS w/ this ebmods novarossi 28! Why don't you believe me you sob!?" :LoL:

i know ur example is extreme, but yeh RTR sport motors are more than fine at local tracks. a buggy w/a mod'd 28 would suck anyway as it would be very undriveable-unless u castrated it down w/restrictors so much as to negate ur purchase

-Ult

I find the Fantom .27 to bea real nice buggy mill.....they won't let me run that anymore at my track.....I was crushing V-Specs and 421s last time..... :D but the race mills (the top shelf ones anyway) have the advantage of lasting longer.....unless you buy a really nice top end .27 like a sirio or Rossi.....the race .21s will last a lot longer than a sport mill would.....the fantom is great for about 5 gallons then turns to a turd and I don't have anyone local I trust to pinch a .27 sleeve.....and I'm so done w/ mail away my poop for someone I don't know to work on it......

watch out w/that fantom .27. friend of mine is pissed as all hell b/c fantom discon'd the rod for his .27 (2004 version maybe) already.

-Ult

I've got a hyper, well I'm waiting on payment for it now, but I still love this buggy. It was my first and its tough as nails and pretty quick out of the box. The radio isn't that great but it does the trick for a beginner.

I think VB has hit a good topic for this type of question.....everyone is throwing in their 2 cents on what buggy is the best in this category....noone has asked this guy what his experience level w/ nitro RC is....If he's a beginner I'd have to say the budget and local availability are primary factors in all this...cause IMO the reality of all the RTR buggies is they all have some issue or another.....one has a weak suspension arms and shocks(lightning), one has weak steering (OFNA C-Hubs), another has crappy motor (lightning and Mayhem)....this ones radio gear blows (all except the mayhem)...any one you get will need to be upgraded if you get serious about it......my votes for RTR are GS Storm or OFNA Hyper...seem to be the toughest of the bunch overall but that's not saying they won't break either......

storm rtr tough? idk bout that 1. good as GS is and the plus b'g better than the orig. there are some things that sadly need to be addressed as soon as the car comes outta the box, nevermind the new toy radio they send w/it

-Ult

i know somebody above already said about you have to BUY the BUGGY that :

- have FULL SUPPORT from your LHS
- majority of the player in the track use that kind of buggy
- have FULL PARTS availability

but i want to say it again here... those things are REALLY IMPORTANT.
There is NO ULTIMATE BUGGY...
if a lot of people in your track runs MP777.. then go for it.
if a lot of people in your track runs OFNA.. then go for it.
if a lot of people in your track runs HYPER.. then go for it.

ask them (the owners) about :
HOW EASY to open the parts to do regular maintenance on the buggies.
HOW EASY to setup the buggy

0.02cents

:x mop :x

UltegraSTI said:
storm rtr tough? idk bout that 1. good as GS is and the plus b'g better than the orig. there are some things that sadly need to be addressed as soon as the car comes outta the box, nevermind the new toy radio they send w/it

-Ult
yeah I forgot about the new radio they send it w/....I was actually thinking of the pro version when i typed that...(I know they don't have even the cheapo radio) but in th eRTR category for around 350 you won't really find much else that's even track ready...this topic has just ben done to death here......someone should do a sticky just listing all the pros and cons of each buggy....including the pro kit ones.....then anyone posting this question we can all swamp it w/ a link to the sticky....

mop_iko said:
i know somebody above already said about you have to BUY the BUGGY that :

- have FULL SUPPORT from your LHS
- majority of the player in the track use that kind of buggy
- have FULL PARTS availability

but i want to say it again here... those things are REALLY IMPORTANT.
There is NO ULTIMATE BUGGY...
if a lot of people in your track runs MP777.. then go for it.
if a lot of people in your track runs OFNA.. then go for it.
if a lot of people in your track runs HYPER.. then go for it.

ask them (the owners) about :
HOW EASY to open the parts to do regular maintenance on the buggies.
HOW EASY to setup the buggy

0.02cents

:x mop :x

I think he's really on the money. Those are the things you need to consider when buying a buggy.
Then in addition to those, once you've picked a few that match those specs, come back here for your final decision.

for me, my friend ran an rc10 gt, and thats what he suggested i get, so i got one... biggest mistake of my life lol...

any who, my situation was i didnt like the 2wd and low ground clearance.

ide say if you are going to bash first, and race later, the violarer is pretty good.
I've had a rc10gt, tmaxx2.5, micro rs4, minit, and PTI Goliath... and the violater is by far the most controlable rc I've ever driven, it powerslides more accuratly than an EVO, and the stock motor (3.5cc .26) puts out a fair ammout of power (i run 30% mind you).

i give the handeling a 10, it even has little boots on the halfshafts and like 4 other places for dirt, as far as duribility, the only thing i broke was a steering brace thing... it still drives and turns fine, wont have to fix it for a few more runs.

Back