Going to start an Axial scx24 build.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caveman

RC Newbie
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
Any suggestions on witch one to start with? I was thinking the C10 pickup.

Deadbolt is the best out of the box, the C10‘s tire scrape the body very easily from what I have heard and seen.

The Deadbolt is a more capable ceawler out of the box. But if you get the C10, prepare to hack up the body, especially in front of the front tires, because even with the stock puny tires, they rub.

The RC4WD 1.0 Mudslingers are probably some of the best tires for these trucks, but they will require a lot of body trimming on the C10, and about 1/8" around the top and 1/4" out of the rear of the front fenders on the Deadbolt if you get that one.

The RC4WD stamped steel wheels are great for the money, plus you can flip the wheel and get a bit of offset for a wider track. But you really should upgrade the servo to the Emax or Powerhobby metal geared servo first, because widening the track width creates a lot of scrub steer, which is what happens when the front tires are drug in an arc as you steer.

The motor on these trucks is a bit weak, and they may wear out quickly. A good upgraded motor is the PN Racing motor sold by Kenon Hobby. But you will need the motor mount and gearset. Buy them in a combo for a few dollars off for like $58 think.

Furitek also has some killer ESC's and a brushless motor for these trucks.

Other than that, just add weight down low. Brass wheel hubs, diff covers, etc will help.

littleguyracingparts.com and moforc.com have some cool parts for these little trucks.

Any other questions, just ask. There are a few guys here with these trucks, so you came to the right place!
20210914_223007.jpg

Thanks on all the info, I was planning on going brushless as soon as I can, tires, longer links and eventually probably rock bouncer chassis

My brother talked me into trying out carpet racing so I just got a mini B last week, new tires already and brushless setup comes in a couple of days ran it for the first time on Sat. I definitely have some practicing to do

I agree. I have both the Deadbolt and a silver C10. Definitely better tire/body clearance on the Deadbolt.

I was planning on the rock bouncer kit some time in the future and I thought the C10 already had a slightly longer wheelbase But I could be wrong

Simple things- 60/40 front weight bias will make you feel smart. Add weight low and forward. Then work on low speed control and how to use wheel speed. You'll fry your factory motor or esc shortly. Furitek and an outrunner will change your life. And I haven't found an upgraded shock worth buying yet.

Any suggestions on witch one to start with? I was thinking the C10 pickup.
All the SCX24 are good crawlers, straight out of the box! So, choose the one that appeals to you the most. While the Deadbolt's looks aggressive, I didn't find it any more capable than the Jeep nor the C10, in stock form. The C10 just had slightly less ground clearance due to the smaller tires, but that doesn't really holds it back much.
The C10 and Jeep are fairly new to me, so the only thing I've added to them are metal wheels and RC4WD tires. My C10 are running RC4WD steel wheels and Patagonia tires. There's a little bit of rubbing in certain extreme articulation positions, but it's very slight. So, I have no plans on hacking the body. With just the added weight of the metal wheels and great RC4WD tires, these rigs became excellent crawlers.
1212211538.jpg
1212211536b.jpg
1212211534a.jpg
1210211609a.jpg

That is awesome, I live in Oregon...lot of rain gonna start terrorizing my dogs in the house

My 1st Deadbolt(red) is now a year old, and still running the stock motor and all the electronics. My other 3 SXC24s are fairly new, but still on the stock electrical components.
Here's my red Deadbolt, now getting much more beefy.
1218212123.jpg
1218212122_Burst01.jpg
1218212134.jpg

That is awesome, I live in Oregon...lot of rain gonna start terrorizing my dogs in the house
You'd want this to terrorize your dogs! 😁
1127211515.jpg

Last edited:
My C10 is running RC4WD steel wheels and Patagonia tires. There's a little bit of rubbing in certain extreme articulation positions, but it's very slight. So, I have no plans on hacking the body. With just the added weight of the metal wheels and great RC4WD tires, these rigs became excellent crawlers.
Totally forgot that I did raised the ride height a bit, on the C10, by mounting the shocks onto the chassis rails.
1220210858.jpg
1220210859a.jpg
1220210859c.jpg

I came across this video, that may explain why so many stock motors fail so soon.

One thing that I don't see covered much is uptravel. I've changed my thinking to trying to gain more uptravel out of my suspension. It's helped keep my center of gravity closer to the obstacle I'm trying to get over. You only want as much clearance as you need to get over something. Too much clearance will make you tip.