Glow plug

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlehorse

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Kinda dumb question I guess.
Got the redcat sold but found out for some reason the stepson lost the glow plug for it.
would the plug from revo work in it so I can get it gone and not have to wait a week or so to order one.
Thanks

Was wandering cause read somewhere the redcat used a turbo plug and revo doesn't.

No the Glow Plug on the Revo is a Long plug and it might hit the cylinder head. You will need a standard lenght Hot to Meduim heat glow plug to replace it. But if you are desperate you can use 2 washers with a Revo Long plug.

I am not that familer with Redcats but they do not use Turbo plugs and use a standard glow plug such as these. I went to the Redcat Website and looked them up.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTK5&P=7

Only a few engine manufactures use Turbo Plugs and they are high dollar/ high compression engines. Redcat engines are inexpensive. I have owned Picco and still have 2 OS engines that run Turbo Plugs. These engines that run Turbo Plugs are up in the $250.00 to $400.00 buck range.

Last edited:
I didn't think about it
That could be why it never sealed and shot fuel out around it when I bought it then.
thanks

I looked at the Red Cat site, they had a standard plug listed as being compatible with the Volcano S30. Where did you read that it used a turbo plug?

Is that fox plug pretty good? Was goin to order O'Donnell plug from amain since they on special $2.99 but never had good luck with amain as my orders from them always have stuff left out or wrong stuff.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

I read it on here the other day.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

That is why I was wandering. Their site called regular plug but a thread on here said turbo.

Is that fox plug pretty good? Was goin to order O'Donnell plug from amain since they on special $2.99 but never had good luck with amain as my orders from them always have stuff left out or wrong stuff.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

I read it on here the other day.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

That is why I was wandering. Their site called regular plug but a thread on here said turbo.

I have been running Fox Glow Plugs for both my Traxxas Engines and Standard Plug engines for a little over 9 years now. I like them and yes they are good quality.

I have been ordering from Tower Hobbies for my R/Cs since 1999 and never had a problem with my orders.

Guess I will give them a try. Need some for the revos also.
Never dealt with tower but alway heard good about them.
Thanks

Guess I will give them a try. Need some for the revos also.
Never dealt with tower but alway heard good about them.
Thanks

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFTW8&P=7

These fit Traxxas Engines.

I order so much from Tower Hobbies that I am on the Super Saver club and get deals better then the average buyer.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXEX3&P=ML

It gives you extra deals and saves on shipping if you order alot. Been a member also since about 1999.

Little more information most Hobby Stores order from Tower Hobbies and Horizan Hobbies for their Shelf stock. Being a part of the Super Saver Club on many things I purchase I get the same discounted price as the hobby shops do. I got $25.00 bucks off my last purchase of $200.00 bucks.

Last edited:
IMO, tower hobby is expensive, you can find the same part from other suppliers with better pricing.

No the Glow Plug on the Revo is a Long plug and it might hit the cylinder head. You will need a standard lenght Hot to Meduim heat glow plug to replace it. But if you are desperate you can use 2 washers with a Revo Long plug.

I am not that familer with Redcats but they do not use Turbo plugs and use a standard glow plug such as these. I went to the Redcat Website and looked them up.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTK5&P=7

Only a few engine manufactures use Turbo Plugs and they are high dollar/ high compression engines. Redcat engines are inexpensive. I have owned Picco and still have 2 OS engines that run Turbo Plugs. These engines that run Turbo Plugs are up in the $250.00 to $400.00 buck range.

As far as I know glow plugs only come in 2 lengths standard and the short plugs used in O.S. (and a small handful of other) engines. I realize the pack says long plug but I'm guessing its the same length as a standard plug they just say that so people dont get them confused with the O.S. type plugs. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong cuz I've never owned a TRX 3.3 before but I have given 1 or 2 people standard length glow plugs at the track and out bashing before for their 3.3s and theyve worked with no problem.

Hi to all I have a gs storm Evo 25 an i am having problems with my glow plugs keep burning out with in 5 minutes of running anyone got any tips of what this could be?

Thanks

Buey36

As far as I know glow plugs only come in 2 lengths standard and the short plugs used in O.S. (and a small handful of other) engines. I realize the pack says long plug but I'm guessing its the same length as a standard plug they just say that so people dont get them confused with the O.S. type plugs. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong cuz I've never owned a TRX 3.3 before but I have given 1 or 2 people standard length glow plugs at the track and out bashing before for their 3.3s and theyve worked with no problem.

you are correct. I was going to correct him as well but didnt feel like it.

you are correct. I was going to correct him as well but didnt feel like it.

DSCN0366_zps80a4ff12.jpg

The Plug on the left is a factory Traxxas Plug the plug on the right is a Duratrax standard gold plug. the Traxxas plugs are 2 thread longer then plugs other R/Cs use. The Traxxas plug has 7 threads and a standard glow plug has 5 threads that screw into the engine head. yes I counted them because you guys think I am wrong :whhooo:

While you can use a standard plug in a Traxxas Engine it is not advisable to use a Traxxas plug in other engines. Thanks for wanting to correct me but I have been running traxxas engines and other manufactures engines for 13 years and probably know just a little bit about them :)

Last edited:
OS Glow Plug Information

# 8*Hot Recommended for most current O.S. (and other) 2-stroke enginesType F*Mildly Hot Special long-reach plug recommended exclusively for O.S (and other) 4-stroke enginesType RE*Hot Special long-reach plug designed exclusively for O.S. Wankel rotary engineA5*Cold Recommended for most current O.S. (and many other) 2-stroke engines particularly for 1/10th & 1/8th scale off-road car enginesA3*Hot Dependable O.S. quality makes A3 the most durable and longest-lasting glow plug available at an economical priceR5*Very Cold Recommended for high-nitro fuel and high r.p.m. engines, particularly 1/8th track racing car engines

ENYA Glow Plug Information

# 3*Hot All Enya engines such as TV & four cycle engines# 4*Mildly hot All Enya engines, especially those used with 10%or greater nitromethane fuel# 5*Medium All Enya engines, especially the .40CX, .45CX and high nitro methane fuel# 6*Cold High compression engines and high niro methane fuel used in racing.

Fox Glow Plug Information

All 1. 5 Volt Plugs are Dry Cell or Ni-Cad All 2 Volt Plugs are Lead Acid BatteryStandard Short*Hot 1.5 Volt, Standard Short Hot 2 VoltStandard Long*Hot 1.5 Volt, Standard Long Hot 2 VoltGold STD Long Plug*Hot 1.5 Volt, RC Short Mildly Hot 2 VoltGold RC Long*Hot 1.5 Volt, RC Long Mildly Hot 2 VoltRC Short*Mildly Hot 1.5 VoltRC Long*Mildly Hot 1.5 VoltMiracle Plug*Hot 1.5 VoltPro 8 Short*Cold 1.5 VoltPro 8 Long*Cold 1.5 Volt

McCoy Glow Plugs with OS Equivalent

MC-8*Medium Hot #8 (thanks for correction, mvbashers.org)MC-9*Cold A5, R5 (thanks for correction, mvbashers.org)MC-50*Hot IDLE BAR - LONGMC-55*Medium Hot A3, #8MC-59*Hot

STD ROSSI GLOW PLUGS BI-TURBO GLOW PLUGS (without idle bar) (conical w/o washer)

Rossi Glow Plugs (cold for pattern type work / high nitro fuels, hot for sport / low nitro flying)R1*Extra hot 0.8 to 2cc RB4 HotR2*Hot from 2 to 3.5cc RB5 MediumR3*Medium from 3.5 to 6cc RB6 ColdR4*Cold from 6 to 10cc RB7 Extra coldR5*X-cold for nitro fuel & R/C RB8 Super coldR6*Cold nitro 10 to 13ccR7*Cold for nitro 13 to 15ccR8*Cold for nitro 15 to 30cc GLOW HEAD FOR R15G1*Hot

R/C GLOW PLUGS

G2*Medium (with idle bar)G3*Cold nitro 15 to 30%RC*Hot for 2.5 to 6ccG4*X-cold nitro 30 to 50%RC*Cold for 6 to 15ccG5*Cold nitro 50% or more

Glow Plug Usage Tips

Your glow plug temperature range is too cold when:The engine power is weak or has weakened from previous levels.The engine slows down considerably or stops after removing the glow plug battery, despite correct adjustment of the needle valve. For example (Enya), if a # 4 plug gives you these problems in your engine, switch to a # 3 plug instead.

Your glow plug temperature range is too hot when:

The engine suffers from pre ignition and loss of power.The overall engine running is roughThe glow plug filament is broken or collapses frequently.These are several cures to these problems. We suggest using a fuel with less nitro methane content, using a larger size propeller or using a colder plug than the one currently in use. For example if an Enya # 3 plug gives you these problems in your engines, switch to a # 4 plug.Model glow plug engines are extremely dependent upon the type and quality of the glow plug used. Enya glow plugs use a platinum alloy coil, which uses a thick diameter wire for long life. The thicker wire coil also eliminates the need for an "idle bar" as found on other brands of glow plugs; idle bars tend to reduce top speed slightly, to achieve a more stable idle speed. Enya's glow plug design insures both good top end speed and stable idle speed.Enya glow plugs also have a thicker battery contact at the tip of the plug for greater heat dissipation and better electrical contact. Altech Marketing presently stocks glow plug battery cords specifically for Enya glow plugs, which are standard equipment with Enya four-cycle engines. Other glow plug cords usable with Enya glow plugs are available from several other manufacturers.

HOT GLOW PLUGS (for low nitro and FAI fuels)

Enya: # 3Fox: Miracle, Standard, and R/C Long (2V)Fireball: Hot (1.2-3.0V), and S-20 R/C LongFire Power: F 6 (warm), and F 7 (hot)K&B: 1 LMcCoy: MC 55 R/C Long, MC 59, and MC 14 (very hot)O.S. Engines: # 0, # 1, # 5Rossi: R 1 (extra hot), and R 2Sonic Tronics: Glowdevil # 300Thunderbolt: R/C Long

MEDIUM GLOW PLUGS (for 10%-15% nitro fuels)

Enya: # 4 (medium hot), and # 5 (medium cold)Fireball: Standard (1.2-2.0V)Fire Power: F 5 (medium), and F 6 (warm)Fox: R/C Long (1.2-1.5V), and GoldHanger 9: Sport LongMcCoy: MC 50, and MC 8O.S. Engines: # A 3, # 8, # 9, # 7 (with idle bar)Rossi: Medium, and R-3Sonic Tronics: Glowdevil StandardTower Hobbies: Tower Power Performance plug, and Reg. (w/bar)

COLD GLOW PLUGS (for high nitro; 25% +)

Enya: #6 (cold)Fireball: Cool (1.2-1.5V)Fire Power: F 2 (extra cold), F 3 (cold), and F 4 (cool)Fox: R/C (1.2V), and # 8K&B: Long & Short high performance nitro plugO.S. Engines: R-5Rossi: R 4 (cold), and R 5 (extra cold)

FOUR-STROKE GLOW PLUGS (hot)

Fox: Miracle plug (often used in 2C's W/low nitro)McCoy: MC 14 (very hot, often used in inverted 4C's)O.S. Engines: Type FSonic Tronics: Glowdevil ST 301/302

IDLE BARS

Idle bar glow plugs came about because some engines were having trouble transitioning from idle to high speed. When the throttle was opened from idle, the incoming air and raw fuel would strike the glow plug's heated coil, cooling it to the point where it would no longer support the combustion process, so the engine would die. To help prevent this, the idle bar was added to the glow plug to serve as a physical shield, helping to keep the coil from cooling off too quickly.A glow plug with an idle bar will not increase peak RPM (it may even reduce it in some cases), but it may improve the idle with some engines, since it simply helps to keep the plug hot enough to light the fuel. If your having transition problems, you might want to try using a glow plug with an idle bar. Some modelers use idle bar plugs in the winter only, since the glow plug tends to loose heat faster in the colder environment.Naturally, all of this assumes that you have the low speed mixture adjusted correctly to begin with.

HOT PLUGS

So what is a 'hot' plug, and how does it differ from a 'cold' plug?Naturally, a hot plug will heat up faster and stay hotter, but that's not the whole story. When discussing this aspect of glow plugs, another very important aspect must be considered, the amount methanol in the fuel. The more methanol we're using (i.e., less oil and less nitro), the hotter the plug we should use. Conversely, the more nitro and/or oil we use, the less methanol we're using, so we use a cool(er) plug. An extreme example would be when using a very high nitro content fuel in a very high RPM engine (a typical ducted fan engine, for example). Here we'd use a very cold plug. For most sport pilots using fuel with just 5-15% nitro, however, a hotter plug would probably do well.Probably? Yes, trial and error is often the best (and sometimes 'only') way to determine the right glow plug for your application. Most 4C engines need either high nitro or hot plugs to run at their best, since they have combustion strokes only half as often as 2C engines.

RULES OF THUMB TO LIVE BY

Use a hot plug with low nitro (less than 24%), and a cold plug with high nitro (more than 25%).If you remove the glow starter from you idling engine, and notice an immediate drop in RPM, you may need a hotter plug or more nitro.If your engine has a tendency to backfire a lot, you may be using a glow plug that's too hot, or you may need fuel with less nitro.Most hot plugs can take up to 2.0 volts starting power without burning up, while most cold plugs prefer 1.2 to 1.5 volts starting power.

There is no risk of the glow plug hitting the piston face, the distance from the top of the dome to the face of the piston is much larger then any medium or long plug could ever span, I'd be willing to bet that even with an idle bar there would still be enough room. I would take the button off and just check to see where the plug rides in the dome, the more smooth the face of the plug is to the face of the dome, the better the burn will be. That's why turbo plugs and heads are desired from the hard core guys, there are no visible threads in the dome rather a perfectly flush fit between the plug and head button.

The above statement is based on mid and big block engines.

There is no risk of the glow plug hitting the piston face, the distance from the top of the dome to the face of the piston is much larger then any medium or long plug could ever span, I'd be willing to bet that even with an idle bar there would still be enough room. I would take the button off and just check to see where the plug rides in the dome, the more smooth the face of the plug is to the face of the dome, the better the burn will be. That's why turbo plugs and heads are desired from the hard core guys, there are no visible threads in the dome rather a perfectly flush fit between the plug and head button.

The above statement is based on mid and big block engines.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I knew I had run traxxas plugs in my other engines but wasn't going to argue the fact.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I knew I had run traxxas plugs in my other engines but wasn't going to argue the fact.

Just because you can does not mean you should ;) Not argueing anything just stating it ;)