Glow Plug for Newbs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fornia455

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Posted a few days ago that I got a Losi 8ight Nitro truggy V3.0 (I’m told). my future SIL bought the Losi nitro Buggy, but we’re unsure of the version.

Was wondering about Glow Ignitors, but I searched and bought a Dynamite on Amazon a few minutes ago. Any insight on that, I’m all ears.

As we’re starting to think about ‘easy stuff’ that will keep us from running the Cars, does anyone have insight on the Glow Plugs we should be looking at? We broke both cars in on 20% and haven’t yet gone to the 30% we were advised to buy initially (I went with 20% for breakin after reading a bunch of stuff).

I think its best to condition a new nixx battery that's charging at low amperage then discharge it then slowly bring it up to a desired charge rate.just what I have learned over 20+ years ..but i was after peak performance.

Sorry if I worded things wrong.
In regards to the actual glow plugs, what should I be looking to get as backups? This RTR came with a 2.8 motor, and that’s about all I know lol.

In regards to the actual glow plugs, what should I be looking to get as backups? This RTR came with a 2.8 motor, and that’s about all I know lol.
Well you got to convert that 2.8 into cc.. so the plugs all depend on what fuel you run and what the weather temp is and humidity.
Well you got to convert that 2.8 into cc.. so the plugs all depend on what fuel you run and what the weather temp is and humid
Here read this sonyou can have a better understanding bud..

"All About Glow Plugs — Roger's Hobby Center" https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs
The OS LC3 plugs are pretty good!
They are good plugs. But depending on where he is located and the fuel and temp the #3 might not be good for him.. I run those same plugs during winter sometimes.he might want a medium 4-6 plug for now

Last edited:
Well you got to convert that 2.8 into cc.. so the plugs all depend on what fuel you run and what the weather temp is and humidity.

Well you got to convert that 2.8 into cc.. so the plugs all depend on what fuel you run and what the weather temp is and humid

"All About Glow Plugs — Roger's Hobby Center" https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs

They are good plugs. But depending on where he is located and the fuel and temp the #3 might not be good for him.. I run those same plugs during winter sometimes.he might want a medium 4-6 plug for now
I just watched a video, and I think I have a better idea. Not sure yet on the right plug for my specks engine (2.8?) but read that cold plug is better for hot temps, such as we’ve got here in FL right now. ?

I just watched a video, and I think I have a better idea. Not sure yet on the right plug for my specks engine (2.8?) but read that cold plug is better for hot temps, such as we’ve got here in FL right now. ?
No if it's still hot you want a cold plug or you will over heat the engine
Read threw the link bud... don't trust YT videos first and for most... been in this hobby since I was about 9-10. That was in 87 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Did the guy say what % fuel he was running because that is a factor as well to what plug to use
This is where I spen my extra time
16315014550643986176150860934076.jpg

I think he meant a 0.28 engine. That is what comes in that truggy. I’ve been running a medium heat range plug in my truck with no issues. 20-25% nitro VP fuel. I’m in the Houston area so temp & humidity could be similar to FL depending on exactly where he’s located. Search for “help choosing a glow plug” in this forum for some good videos on this topic.

I think he meant a 0.28 engine. That is what comes in that truggy. I’ve been running a medium heat range plug in my truck with no issues. 20-25% nitro VP fuel. I’m in the Houston area so temp & humidity could be similar to FL depending on exactly where he’s located. Search for “help choosing a glow plug” in this forum for some good videos on this topic.
Thanks so much!

See you got bud that's the plug you want.. a medium as I said above.. nitros are a blast to run. But there's also a learning curve.. do the research put in the time to learn. And you will be haven a blast in no time👍👍👍
4 post above says the same thing.. but some people just want someone to give them the answer. Instead of doing research and learning or reading what's reading🤔🤔🤔🤔

Never really got into specifics on glow plugs in all the years that I ran nitro ,but I always
shied away from cold plugs period ,an used medium to hot plugs ,it was always what
my LHS carried at the time!..:cool:

See you got bud that's the plug you want.. a medium as I said above.. nitros are a blast to run. But there's also a learning curve.. do the research put in the time to learn. And you will be haven a blast in no time👍👍👍
Agree 100%. It’s not as tough as some might think, just do some reading on the topic and all will be well. It gets tough to wipe that smile off your face though! 😂😂😂

Agree 100%. It’s not as tough as some might think, just do some reading on the topic and all will be well. It gets tough to wipe that smile off your face though! 😂😂😂
No not at all I just wish people that want to get into the hobby would do some research. Or aleast learn a little for them selves.. when did you get into the hobby and nitro bud??
No not at all I just wish people that want to get into the hobby would do some research. Or aleast learn a little for them selves.. when did you get into the hobby and nitro bud??
It actually get me upset. That the new generation thinks everything is at the push of a button.
Never really got into specifics on glow plugs in all the years that I ran nitro ,but I always
shied away from cold plugs period ,an used medium to hot plugs ,it was always what
my LHS carried at the time!..:cool:
You know the funny thing. I think all LHS. Depending where they are carry different plugs.. I'm carry hot med and cold plugs. For when it's really hot out. But who want to run when it's super hot anyway rite bake. Oh the kysoho is looking sweet got a little more tunning and you sir should be set... singing sweet notes of nitro 🎵 👍👍👍

StonerRC365…. I’ve only been in RC for a little less than 1 year (nitro only, no electric) but have 30+ years with 2 stroke dirt bikes, which I think helped a good bit with understanding tuning. I just need to remember that the needles on these RC carbs control fuel and not air, which is opposite of the pilot air screws on bike carbs. I’m loving my Losi truggy. Appreciate all the great info you, cbaker and others provide on here! I’m still learning for sure.

4 post above says the same thing.. but some people just want someone to give them the answer. Instead of doing research and learning or reading what's reading🤔🤔🤔🤔
No I wasn’t looking to avoid the work. Just kinda figured I’d post on the forum. My apologies if it came off wrong. I did use the search function.

No I wasn’t looking to avoid the work. Just kinda figured I’d post on the forum. My apologies if it came off wrong. I did use the search function.
I understand what you did. But I sent you a link so you can read it. And learn man. Also said you need a #4-6 medium plug above.. the guys in here plus my self have been in the hobby for 20+ yrs. We won't lie to you. But very persons situation is different. So what's good for you won't be good for some one in Michigan and vice-versa.. and nitros is alot different then plugging in a battery.. it takes patience. To get the hang of it.. No worries man I'm good happens all the time... I can look up stuff in downloads I have faster then most newbs so I get it. Plus 9x out of 10 it's muscle memory to me and alot of other guys in here.. just want you to learn and soak up all the knowledge you can... so one day you could be that guy that answers all the crazy ?? That come threw forums and not just this one... that Roger link I sent that site has alot of good info for you.... look into it and see for your self bud 👍👍👍

I am a heavy basher ,back in the day in those times ,I didnt give a crap about about it ,it was the
norm for me to pop engines & glo-plugs ,it was like ,lets see what this things got ,none of you
havent seen my early days of bashing vids ,why ,because they are all on my wifes Y-tube channel ,
I can post them on a new thread!...:hehe::hehe::hehe:

StonerRC365…. I’ve only been in RC for a little less than 1 year (nitro only, no electric) but have 30+ years with 2 stroke dirt bikes, which I think helped a good bit with understanding tuning. I just need to remember that the needles on these RC carbs control fuel and not air, which is opposite of the pilot air screws on bike carbs. I’m loving my Losi truggy. Appreciate all the great info you, cbaker and others provide on here! I’m still learning for sure.
Awesome I'm glad bud. And your are correct somewhat. But the tunning on these little nitros is the air fuel mix.. but you get the just of it. From the dirtbikes pretty much the same. Just a little different.
Here are a couple reads of basic tunning guides for you Farina455. Good reads for more info on the tunning plus Cbaker65 just posted up some good videos and how tons on tunning and starting nitros.. Definitely need a heat gun that's for sure bud

"Quick Nitro Engine Tune-Up Tips" https://www.absolutehobbyz.com/quick-nitro-engine-tune-up-tips.html

"Basic Tips for Tuning Nitro Engine - rchobbiesoutlet" https://www.rchobbiesoutlet.com/blog/basic-tips-for-tuning-nitro-engine/

"Nitro Engine Tuning Basics" https://www.worldofrcparts.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=15
I am a heavy basher ,back in the day in those times ,I didnt give a crap about about it ,it was the
norm for me to pop engines & glo-plugs ,it was like ,lets see what this things got ,none of you
havent seen my early days of bashing vids ,why ,because they are all on my wifes Y-tube channel ,
I can post them on a new thread!...:hehe::hehe::hehe:
Oh man you got to send me some of them vids for sure👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣🤣 I didn't know what to do when I shot out my first plug in beginning in 2000.. way way to hot
I was lost and pist 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back