Getting a toyan?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstnd

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello, always been riding standard big and smallblocks but recently getting interested in those Toyans. Prices from the moon but the FS-L200 seems fine. 2 cylinder 4 stroke and I think it's got 7cc. For a price around $180 would it be fair? Or maybe recommend something better? Are these engines reliable in general? Same break-in method as usual? Same fuel as my 2 stroke bigblocks?

Main question: how about parts availability? Do these engines have a "exploded view" and do they have part numbers, and can you buy them?

A lot of questions🙂👍 thanks

Hello, always been riding standard big and smallblocks but recently getting interested in those Toyans. Prices from the moon but the FS-L200 seems fine. 2 cylinder 4 stroke and I think it's got 7cc. For a price around $180 would it be fair? Or maybe recommend something better? Are these engines reliable in general? Same break-in method as usual? Same fuel as my 2 stroke bigblocks?

Main question: how about parts availability? Do these engines have a "exploded view" and do they have part numbers, and can you buy them?

A lot of questions🙂👍 thanks

I had one sitting new in box for 6 months and eventually sold it when I realized I was accumulating projects faster than I was finishing them. I'd occasionally take it out to admire it...

They are absolutely gorgeous little engines. That said, that may well be their intended purpose - show piece, proof-of-concept, and any vehicle made with one will be similarly showy and impressive, but not exactly a basher nor a racer. Their power output is a good deal less than that of a similarly sized 2-stroke, and they still have total-loss oil system, and many require a liquid cooling loop, and those that are air-cooled have to be even more careful about overheating, so they're adding lots of engineering caveats for not much of a gain in anything except sheer aesthetic value.

$180 for a 2-cylinder 4-stroke is pretty incredible, I must admit. Hard to go wrong with that whatever you wind up with.

Hello do you still know the measurements of this engine? Because I found this:
1000013106.jpg
. The 112mm length is really fine, height doesn't matter, but the 90mm is too wide

Those 90mm width are added up together with the startermotor and carburetor, which are more above the center of the engine, which means that from the bottom the width should be less right?

I'd love to have one of these engines myself in a RC
Edit: do you maybe also know the diameter of the flywheel?

Hello do you still know the measurements of this engine? Because I found this:View attachment 169782. The 112mm length is really fine, height doesn't matter, but the 90mm is too wide

Those 90mm width are added up together with the startermotor and carburetor, which are more above the center of the engine, which means that from the bottom the width should be less right?

I'd love to have one of these engines myself in a RC
Edit: do you maybe also know the diameter of the flywheel?

I found this online, seems to have more exact dimensions for the bottom of the block:

1691516407857.png

Sorry I don't have mine anymore, can't find the flywheel diameter online. It was a good deal larger than that on most nitros.

That's pretty awesome, I'm kind of surprised someone who put the work into that would want to flip it. I wouldn't pay $1500 for it, though, probably only $~800 in parts, considering a T-maxx is under $500, you could immediately flip the 3.3 from it for $100 back, and the Toyan engine is $180. I guess it would make sense to try and sell them if you can get 100% markup on your material cost and it only takes a day or two to build.

I wouldn't buy it even at cost though, because the build is half the fun!

I found this online, seems to have more exact dimensions for the bottom of the block:

View attachment 169792
Sorry I don't have mine anymore, can't find the flywheel diameter online. It was a good deal larger than that on most nitros.

That's pretty awesome, I'm kind of surprised someone who put the work into that would want to flip it. I wouldn't pay $1500 for it, though, probably only $~800 in parts, considering a T-maxx is under $500, you could immediately flip the 3.3 from it for $100 back, and the Toyan engine is $180. I guess it would make sense to try and sell them if you can get 100% markup on your material cost and it only takes a day or two to build.

I wouldn't buy it even at cost though, because the build is half the fun!
Agreed! As this might be my first toyan-related build I've just been thinking of this specific engine as it must be one of the easiest engines to put in a RC. Thanks a lot for the measurements info🙂
Sadly as these smaller toyans aren't powerhouses I'd prefer to put it into a more lightweight RC. I've seen this engine on banggood for $145 but I'll keep it for now on Aliexpress which I found for just a few bucks more. This vintage 90's chassis should be lightweight enough😂

1000006831.jpg

Last edited:
Generally the power output is going to be considerably less than a 2 stroke, and they don't rev nearly as high.

That said, they are really, really cool little engines and I think the larger ones have enough power to make something useful. I was looking at some of JohnnyQ90's vids the other day, and he's got the V-8 powered car pretty close - and from what I saw in the latest footage of it easily smoking the tires with very little throttle, gives me some thought that the V-8 at least might have a lot of potential. There is an optional supercharger, that works (though he broke his trying to mod it and didn't tune it correctly), as well as it being a 4-stroke having the potential to add nitrous kits. I've been considering building a V-8 powered 1/7 scale car. His is a 1/5 scale, but I think a 1/7th scale with a lightweight chassis would make a pretty sick little outlaw drag car if done right.

Back