Gearing A Castle V3 w/ 5700kv

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phins Fan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got the V3 waterproof setup with the 5700 and in reading the gearing sheet it recommends that my pinion be no larger that 17T. That said has anyone geared higher for more speed? Running it in a T4.2 - 84spur/17pinion. Its fast but lookin for faster without frying the ESC or motor

Its all about motor temps. If its not over heating on 17T then push it a lil higher and retest...rinse and repeat until it overheats and then back off a notch.

Most people will generally say 160-180. I like to use the cautious side and I dont let mine get over 160F if I can help it.

Might want to check out my electric 101 vid series in the video sub forum....its stickied at the top

You can also look at installing a blower.. It can cool it up to like 10 to 15 degrees.

And don't forget the inside of the motor will be hotter than the outside.
I'm more cautious than greywolf and try too keep all electrics >150°F
Batteries >110°F

Just blew thru a 4000 2C. Took about 25 minutes. Hottest temp I could get was 130. Sounds like I need a couple bigger pinions to play with along with a smaller spur or 2

I would drop a couple of teeth on the spur to begin with. The 4-pole motors produce a bit more torque than the 2-pole version of a given kV rating.

Back