Gear Mesh

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwe33

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I am always confused as to how to set a correct gear mesh. People keep telling me its gotta be this way others will say its gotta be that way. This is my gear mesh result from my brand new HPI Savage X 4.6.............
20160316_234608.jpg

what do you think?

Looks good to me. I tend to do it more by feel, though.

Yeah, I don't bother with paper or a piece of plastic parts bag... never came out right and was a pain getting the paper to stay. I just move the engine until the mesh is tight, then gently tap it back until I have a tick of play when holding the bell stationary and rocking the spur back and forth. Then I snug the engine down a bit and spin the spur fast to listen for gear whine. I have never fried a spur because of mesh.

I think the paper method is fine for steel spur/bell combos. I think it is a little too tight for plastic spurs.

I tried,and can't find the article, but I read (IIRC) on Robinson Racing website a while back an article stating the best way to adjust gear mesh. The long and short of it was, to my understanding, to look more at gear engagement rather than using paper/plastic. Essentially is was as tight as possible WHILE STILL HAVING FREE MOVEMENT WITHOUT EXCESS MESH NOISE.

Free movement with little noise and friction, the paper should be creased but not torn, and there should be a bit of play when you hold the pinion and move the spur.

I used to set the mesh by feel and when someone showed me the paper method I tried it and liked it. The real advantage is time. When you set by feel the engine can still move and set the mesh too tight and it might take a few attempts to get it right. When the paper is there and you've pressed the pinion against the spur, it can't get any tighter when you lock down the engine. When you remove the paper you have the perfect mesh in the shortest period of time.