Gather 'round, my Geeks...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean, won't work?

Huh... doesn't work on drives with more than 1TB free. Or larger than 1TB. Not sure which, but found that in 37 seconds of hard core research.

How weird.

I ran into a file size limitation with avi files. Larger than 4G wouldn't play over DLNA. Or on media player... can't recall which, but wouldn't work regardless. I know outlook and thunderbird had a 4G limit too. Never would have thought to look for an issue with an app not working on too large of a drive though.

I wonder if you could make a 900GB partition for it to save in. Seems it's just saving files, so you could save in a smaller drive. Then again... that 37 seconds didn't allow me to dig too deep.

Never would have thought to look for an issue with an app not working on too large of a drive though.
Not something I ever ran into before. I never had a problem installing it in any computer I ever used, that's why I kept fighting with it for so long. It seems it doesn't know where to find the "scratch disks" and says they should be on another drive.

Well, I have 2 identical 1TB drives so I guess I'll get one set up in the PC and then clone the other. Not right now, though. I just put the PC back on the desk to get it working again. I'm sick of computers for a while.

I've been using smaller disks (250 GB SSDs) for the OS drive and larger drives (3+ TB) for media. My programs and OS is installed to the SSD and all of the downloads, pics, music, etc. are saved to the media drive. I haven't found a program yet that doesn't like this configuration, @Rolex.

I'M HOOOooooooooome!!!!! What a feeling to have this beast back on my desk with a 22" monitor. That laptop was driving me nuts even though I had my keyboard and wireless mouse connected to it.

I've been using smaller disks (250 GB SSDs) for the OS drive and larger drives (3+ TB) for media. My programs and OS is installed to the SSD and all of the downloads, pics, music, etc. are saved to the media drive. I haven't found a program yet that doesn't like this configuration, @Rolex.
I run the exact same setup on my two desktops at home. Except the media PC has a 6T for movies and a 2T for music. I do have it connected to the receiver... can't figure out how to get 6 channel sound out of it though. Doesn't matter, only surf youtube on it on occasion. Otherwise, I'm using DLNA to watch my movies or listen to music via my blu-ray players.

What a feeling to have this beast back on my desk with a 22" monitor.

Time to upgrade to dual 24's! SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!!! :)

I know your pain. When I'm at work, I have to undock my laptop for meetings quite a bit. Feels like I'm cutting off an arm to not have my ergo board and dual 24's.

I'm also back to serious speed and absolutely NO jitter or jump. I had to avoid news videos because the video kept freezing and jumping, even though the audio stayed steady. I'm used to this, where everything behaves and plays nicely with others.

Not something I ever ran into before. I never had a problem installing it in any computer I ever used, that's why I kept fighting with it for so long. It seems it doesn't know where to find the "scratch disks" and says they should be on another drive.

Well, I have 2 identical 1TB drives so I guess I'll get one set up in the PC and then clone the other. Not right now, though. I just put the PC back on the desk to get it working again. I'm sick of computers for a while.
I'd recommend running a sector check using HD Tune to see whether there any damaged sectors, which could cause the drive to fail. It checks your Hard Disk Drive for any issues, so that when you plug it in you know whether it is going to fail or not. Remember to handle the backup drive carefully, avoid any knocks, and keep it in an anti static bag and don't touch the logic board on the back.

I run the exact same setup on my two desktops at home. Except the media PC has a 6T for movies and a 2T for music. I do have it connected to the receiver... can't figure out how to get 6 channel sound out of it though. Doesn't matter, only surf youtube on it on occasion. Otherwise, I'm using DLNA to watch my movies or listen to music via my blu-ray players.

Time to upgrade to dual 24's! SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!!! :)

I know your pain. When I'm at work, I have to undock my laptop for meetings quite a bit. Feels like I'm cutting off an arm to not have my ergo board and dual 24's.
I could do with a monitor too. Currently stuck with a 19" 1280X1024 Samsung monitor I found at a recycling center. It was an upgrade from my old one...
I'm currently looking at the dell U24 range, looking for a U2414H ideally.

I'm the same 850 EVO 250GB for OS, 1TB WD Blue for games and other media. And again, haven't found a single issue. I also have it so that the HDD turns off after 5 minutes of inactivity making my PC much quieter.

That's not turtle wax :banana:

So, here's the story. When I'm on, I haven't noticed a problem. If the screen saver kicks on, no problem. I move the mouse, the screen saver goes off and all is well. When it goes past the lime limit for the screen saver it should shut off the monitor. 30 minutes later it should go to sleep. Well, once it goes past the screen saver and turns off the monitor, I can't get it to come back on. No mouse movements or key hits will bring it back, even though the internal lights are on and the fans are running. All I can do is hold down the power button till I force a shut down. At that time the fans stop, the lights inside go out and the computer goes silent. However, the activity light for the HHD stays on and stays a SOLID red. The computer has totally shut down and the light is on. There is NO activity at all and no buzz or vibration coming from the HHD.
When I hit power to reboot, I get the ASUS mobo splash screen, then the win7 boot screen and then instead of saying "Starting windows" it says "Resuming Windows". I'll get a fraction of a second showing my desktop, but it also shows the bubbles that are my screen saver. Then the screen goes black and stays black for about a full minute. There is now about a 3 to 4 minute boot time before I can do anything. If I click an icon the mouse cursor will freeze for about a half minute while the system continues trying to reboot.
Any suggestions? I'm almost at my wit's end here.

That's not turtle wax :banana:
Yes it is, and it's Carnauba enriched but I don't know what carnauba is.

I was about to look into that. Last night when I put it to sleep, I had to check something I'd forgotten, and it wouldn't wake up.

EDIT": Hamz, that's for win 10. I have 7

You might also have to boot into safe mode to adjust the settings if it won't resume.

I've used the same settings since I built it. 10 minutes and the screen saver puts the bubbles on my screen. 10 minutes after that the screen turns off. 15 minutes later the computer goes to sleep. Just a touch of the mouse or a hit on any key wakes it up.
The same settings are still working, but it won't turn the screen back on or wake up.

I've used the same settings since I built it. 10 minutes and the screen saver puts the bubbles on my screen. 10 minutes after that the screen turns off. 15 minutes later the computer goes to sleep. Just a touch of the mouse or a hit on any key wakes it up.
The same settings are still working, but it won't turn the screen back on or wake up.
I'd try setting your power settings back to default. Sounds like somethings turning off when it's not supposed to.

I've just changed the settings. Screen saver goes to black screen with "Mystify" and monitor off and sleep are set for "Never".
I still have the side cover off so I can see what's going on in there and when I went through the normal shut down last night everything shut down normally EXCEPT the fans and the blue LEDs in them. Even the power supply fan shut off. This morning I hit the start button and nothing happened. The blue LEDs were still on and the fans were still turning. I had to hold the power button and do a forced shut down, then hit it again to get it to start.

Sounds like there may be motherboard issues after all. Do you have a Power Supply tester? If so use that to check the PSU. If that checks out then, it might be time to upgrade the MOBO.

Back