Gather 'round, my Geeks...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I'm struggling to type on this laptop. I'm used to the big MS ergonomic keyboard.
Anyway, my computer locked up and as I exited the program and started up RCNT, it clicked off, back on, back off and then stayed off. It will not turn back on. It's like someone pulled the plug.

Well, I just plugged in another ergonomic USB keyboard into this laptop since I don't like to type on a flat KB anymore.
I pulled the plug on the PC and when I reconnected and hit the start button the lights came on and the fans started. It shut off in a few seconds and a few seconds after that it tried to restart again. It keeps cycling through trying to restart, but on one occasion when the fans stayed on over 10 seconds, the screen hadn't started and I didn't get the beep when the mother board starts the HD. There's one small fan on the memory strips that's plugged into the sensor on the mother board. Without having it plugged in there I would get a warning and I'd have to bypass it during the boot up. All the other fans are run through a monitor from NZXT. Well, the little fan isn't starting so I'm leaning towards a mother board issue.
Anyone have any idea where the problem might lie? I remember this happening a couple of years ago, but after a few attempts at restarting, it finally kicked in and was never a problem again.

Try a minimal POST configuration. Nothing plugged in but 1 stick of memory(In the "0" slot) and the processor, and see if it POSTs. If it doesn't switch out the memory module and try again. if it does then, add in the video and then the OS drive after that.

And I feel for you. My Windows 10 blew up while trying to install an update, so I had to start from scratch.

Last night I pulled 3 of the 4 memory sticks and nothing changed. Today I'll try taking it to the next level. This thing is huge, so it's gonna' be a real pain.
So far it would seem to be a problem on the mother board. It's not the power supply and even that turns on and off repeatedly while it cycles through trying to start. Not even the lights on the kb come on because it never gets to the HDD.
It's only been a few months since I had to replace the HDD because trying to get Windows 10 out of it killed it.

Have you tried the all of the strips singly?

Only one, so far. I have to disconnect everything and move it to the bench where I can get to everything easily. I'm just not looking forward to this.
I'm really expecting a mother board failure. This month, February, marks 4 years since I built it. First major breakdown it's had. I've spent most of today setting up my laptop for things I use on a daily basis in the other computer. What a pain. Passwords and setting on numerous sites, bookmarks and shortcuts, etc, etc, etc.

Repeat after me: Chrome is your friend. Firefox Sync is your friend.

Chrome is your friend. Firefox Sync is your friend.

It's too late now. My thousand dollar laptop crapped out a month or so, ago. This is another one I bought used a couple of years ago. Never used it since I wiped it and reinstalled the OS.

If you use either Chrome or Firefox Sync, it imports all of your previous bookmarks, homepages and plug ins for you. Mine just finished a few minutes ago after having to redo my Windows 10 installation yesterday.

Yep Google Chrome is great for backing up bookmarks. I wiped mine completely the other day and re-installed Chrome all the bookmarks where there once I signed back in.

I've done that in the past, since you have the option to save to a folder on the desktop named "Old Firefox". However, if the computer isn't working, I can't get those settings into another computer that I'm trying to set up.

Now, on the bright side...

I FOUND IT!!!!!
I was pulling all the peripherals one at a time, trying to boot up, and leaving them disconnected as I went to the next one. Video card, CD ROM, small fan on the motherboard, and as I was moving cables to disconnect the fan controller I have installed in there, I decided to pull the major plug to the motherboard (the one with about 20 wires. I just pulled it to replug it to make sure all the connections were good. Well, I plugged it back in, plugged the comp back in and it fired up.
I'm about to clean the connections and blow out the dust while I have everything apart, but I'm done, and I got away easy.
Now to remove all those mystery cables that are stuffed behind the desk and no longer used.

Never talk to an IT guy about "extra cables back there"... lol

I'm taking a break. Wow, what a rat's nest. I'm also labeling every plug and power wart I have connected in power strips. I may be at this for days.
If anyone is looking for me, I'll be somewhere under this desk. If you don't hear from me, I've fallen and I can't get up.
I think I'll take a few pics so you'll know what I'm dealing with.

Why don't you polish the tuba while down there....

Why don't you polish the tuba while down there....
The tuba's been moved after it blinded someone whilst driving. It's now next to the recliner.

I'm taking a break. Wow, what a rat's nest. I'm also labeling every plug and power wart I have connected in power strips. I may be at this for days.
If anyone is looking for me, I'll be somewhere under this desk. If you don't hear from me, I've fallen and I can't get up.
I think I'll take a few pics so you'll know what I'm dealing with.
Haven't seen any pics of your PC yet. Do some cable management if it's a rats nest, makes it easier to find out whats going on next time, and may of been what caused the "one with twenty wires" (Which is the 24 pin ATX) to come out. They do have a habit of coming out, as I've yet to find a motherboard with a decent connector that makes a satisfying click when it's in all the way...
By the sounds of it you have a Asus sabertooth motherboard if it's got fans on, they're stress tested and water blasted and dust blasted as qc, so they last a long time.

I think he's referring to the wiring rat's nest behind his computer desk, @ninnon.

I think he's referring to the wiring rat's nest behind his computer desk, @ninnon.
Ah right. In that case he needs to do some under desk cable management. Unless he's trying to catch some rats... you never know with him...

We think he's just into sheep, but with @Rolex, you never know. He's BAAAAH'd like that.

We think he's just into sheep, but with @Rolex, you never know. He's BAAAAH'd like that.
BAAAAH'd to the rats nest.
I've also just realised that this is the third thread he's made with the same title, all within January or November each year from 2011, missing 2014...It's like he's got a timetable of when to make these threads...

Back