Fuel issues with my Savage X 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nail

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. My Savage has been losing fuel pressure from the main fuel line going to the carb. It will run a few good powerful runs and pop wheelies then cut out and die. When I take the fuel line off the carb there is no fuel coming out of the line. It's like there has never been fuel run through it. I took the motor out and did a good seal job on it thinking there might be an air leak. I'm thinking now it could be the fuel tank not keeping pressurized because it's doing the same thing even after sealing the motor up. And I can close the fuel cap , start it back up and it will run then cut out again. It does this after each time I reclose the fuel cap. I've did a pressure test on the gas tank and can't see where it may be leaking and replaced the fuel lines. I checked the stinger on the exhaust and it is clear. Maybe the cap on the gas tank is working its way loose while it's running? I don't know I'm at a loss. I guess I'll buy a new tank? What are your thoughts ?

Make sure you don't have a clogged fitting or filter somewhere. Assuming that isn't the case, verify that you don't have a leak in the tank or cap. Remove the tank, out a piece of fuel line on on of the in/outlets and submerge it in water. Blow into the line while blocking the other fittings with your fingers and that should answer your question for sure.
Assuming it's not the tank, I would try putting a loop in your fuel line. It makes the fuel line longer which fixes the issue in some kits with this being a common issue in them. Sometimes it's cause by full tanks, some with 1/2 tanks. Honestly, I'm not sure why it happens or how exactly it fixes the issues but for $1 in fuel line and a couple zip ties, it's cheap enough to give it a try!
Put a loop in the pipe to tank pressure line approx 1 1/2" in diameter and put a couple zip ties on it taking care that there are no kinks or that it's not so tight that it crushes the line.
Give this a try and let us know how it goes! :thumbs-up:

Make sure you don't have a clogged fitting or filter somewhere. Assuming that isn't the case, verify that you don't have a leak in the tank or cap. Remove the tank, out a piece of fuel line on on of the in/outlets and submerge it in water. Blow into the line while blocking the other fittings with your fingers and that should answer your question for sure.
Assuming it's not the tank, I would try putting a loop in your fuel line. It makes the fuel line longer which fixes the issue in some kits with this being a common issue in them. Sometimes it's cause by full tanks, some with 1/2 tanks. Honestly, I'm not sure why it happens or how exactly it fixes the issues but for $1 in fuel line and a couple zip ties, it's cheap enough to give it a try!
Put a loop in the pipe to tank pressure line approx 1 1/2" in diameter and put a couple zip ties on it taking care that there are no kinks or that it's not so tight that it crushes the line.
Give this a try and let us know how it goes! :thumbs-up:

I will give the extra line a try and thanks !

is the motor easy to start up? Or do you have difficulty starting it? During your attempt to start up does the fuel have difficulty pressuring into the carb and you find it reversing back into the fuel tank!

Looks like it might have been the gas tank/cap all along. I put an old savage 25 gas tank on and it seems to be doing good now. I'm going to change out the header gasket too because it looks like the one that's on there could use a change. Hopefully this takes care of it. Thanks for all your advice guys!

With this hobby you really have to resolve by deduction. You have to systematically eliminate each issue from point A to Z. I always have a couple of fuel tanks laying around for troubleshooting. I also keep extra fittings, pipes, fuel lines, glow plugs, carbs, motor back plates, receiver batteries, servos, receivers, controllers, fuel filters, motor shims, clutch and clutch springs. Even if they're old I keep them so I can use them to test if that's the issue or not.