Freshly Rebuilt F&R Suspension, Rear Problems..?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just baught new AE shafts, pistons, springs & oil for a NTC3, when I was I noticed that the rear suspension doesn't "pop" back up like it should. It dampers up and down just fine when there isnt any weight on it but when its on a surface it compresses down fine but 'pops' back up maybe 1/3 of the way... I've tried multiple mounting positions on the car along with putting spring stiffner clips in, but to no avail... The entire rear setup is clear of any touching or binding that could be holding it down, I noticed one spot it was rubbing against which is the linkage end thats screwed on the top of the caster blocks, and it looks like a very light contact, no resistance that I can feel when I rotate the wheels..

Any ideas what could he causing this?...
u4aze9ed.jpg
yzyhysen.jpg

Remove the wheels and see if the issue goes away, if so:
It’s the same issue you find with a lot of on-road cars when using different wheels without much offset. The camber links and often the lower arms will rub the rim.
Looks like you need to shim the wheel out another 2mm if possible. Are you still running 12mm hex? They make a 2mm hex spacer/shim just for that purpose.

FYI: If your going off-roading you may want to have a couple spare rear towers (you will need them), smart to have some spare diffs with the larger tires as well.

Yeah still 12mm. If I could find a slimmer wheel nut I could shim it again, but I barely get away with what I have.

Yeah problem still remains, went through all of my tires and same ole same ole...
Is it possible to trim the top of the caster off so the camber link sits right under the wheel lip?

I've seen it done both ways, thrim the caster block and the ball end. Also have seen custom camber links with the wheel side being fixed (deleting the ball end) with a custom end and only the inner adjustable.

I've seen it done both ways, thrim the caster block and the ball end. Also have seen custom camber links with the wheel side being fixed (deleting the ball end) with a custom end and only the inner adjustable.

Alright youll have to forgive my rookie'ness, what in the hell is the ball end?

The ball end on the end of the camber link where its touching the wheel. Just a slight trim is all thats needed.
As it is once you get a little run time and develope a little slop in the wheel bearings the ball end will start rubbing the wheel even more and wear both the wheel and ball end. I've seen the wheels wear the ball end completely through before.

Hows the front? there pivot ball carriers?

Oh oh okay sorry haha, too early for power equiptment trimming so I will build new camber links in the mean time..

The front has a double arm setup, only linkage is for.steering, everything in smooth working order up front.

Alright I must of it missed but both F&R are doing it... Its obvious I cannot get the camber linkage right or something l, I have no fuggin ideas....

Back