Foam Tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJRC

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I did a search around and pretty much couldn't find an answer to this but someone must know about foam tires for touring cars.

1) Is there different foams as far as soft, medium, and hard? How can you tell for a first time buyer as if one were to shop online? Most searches I have done for shoppping online have not mentioned soft, medium or hard. They just mention like HPI mentions (32, 35, 37, 40) or (A, B, C, D, E). And Jaco has (green, aqua, purple, black) butthey do also mention (medium and firm). Are the colors from Jaco actually the color of the foam because I would hope not as I like to stick to black tires.

2) If there is different grade foams available, what would be better for a parking lot race? I understand that foam would not even last the way rubber tires do, but foam would be better for good grip racing. Besides, tire wear can result from anything from suspension tuning to driving skills.

Thanks.....RJ

I don't know about the colors because those usually confuse the heck out of me. As far as the numbers, those are shore ratings (hardness). The lower the # the softer the foam.

Softer foams will get you great grip but with short tire life due to the softness and is more prone to chunking. Harder foams last longer but grip is lost since itis so hard. In a general rule, the hotter the asphalt (not ambient air temp) the harder a compund (shore rating) you can go. Colder asphalt temps need softer tires.

Tire life compared to rubber tires ... I can go through a set of rubber tires in a few runs since I do race and run the car so hard. What I don't like about the rubber tires is that the tire will roll under the rim when cornering like a real tire does. There is a bigger tendency to "push" or "over steer" in a corner because of this, depending on suspension settings and tread/shore of the tire. Traction and tire patch are also determined by the foam insert. The ones that come with the tires are "ok" but the premolded foams are much better since they give a more precise rebound and tire support.

Even when I run my car in the park, I will use foams. If you figure out the time spent mounting the tire, the rims and/or rubber;premolded foams (better than what they put with the tire) ... all these things taken into account, $16/pair is pretty cheap. Plus the "pointand shoot" factor with foams is great.

It all depends on what are the surface conditions where you are running your car.
As for the colors it is similar to the shore like pink are medium soft as for magenta they are really soft Tan etc.
If you are bashing in a lot recommend rear 40 shore or 35
If the area is smooth you can go with 37's all around