foam dampers scx24

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimh

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
One of the things I dont like on my deadbolt is the way the body sways around like someone on the way home from the pub on a saturday night. I know people have replaced the shocks to overcome this but I was very interested in this guy's assessment of the 1/24 carisma at around 8 minutes into the video.
. He claims that the body roll actually wastes energy and is worth fixing. His solution was foam dampers. I have tried this on my deadbolt and although the result may not be pretty it seems to work very well. As you can see in the photos I have placed one at the front between the body clips and the top of the servo and one at the rear between the chassis and the diff. The look ugly at the moment but could easily become virtually invisible if black

It takes a bit of trial and error so that the foam holds the body at the top of the springs at rest but allows the springs to fully compress when needed. The result is much less body roll and bounce and no loss of its ability to take a slope. It can climb a 55 degree slope and handle a 44 degree slope side on which is no different than before this experiment. I cannot compare crawling performance before and after but there is certainly no loss of ability. Otherwise the deadbolt is stock apart from wheel weights 6mm wheel hexs and an emax servo.

Just thought someone (like me who likes no cost solutions) might be interested!
cimh

Attachments

• front damper side.jpg
    front damper side.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 74
  • front damper.jpg
    front damper.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 40
  • rear damper.jpg
    rear damper.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 38
One of the best crawlers I have ever seen is @Pat_ranch's Taco. And it has no springs if I remember correctly. If you are still around Pat, can you please post your video of it crawling? I can never find it.

One of the best crawlers I have ever seen is @Pat_ranch's Taco. And it has no springs if I remember correctly. If you are still around Pat, can you please post your video of it crawling? I can never find it.
I agree, that's amazing. My Deadbolt would have no chance. Looks like no springs in front which I suppose keeps the front lower. This also raises another question. Are all the SCX24s as good as each other for crawling or does one stand out either as stock or after mods? I assumed the Deadbolt might have the edge out of the box but Taco-Truk is in another league. Are the tires mudslingers? I wonder what's under the hood, perhaps a brushless motor among lots of other things?

@Pat_ranch TT is sick. But, I would like your input on what your finding for shocks. I'm dragging mine and seems to e working flawless most of the time. Been a while.

Back