Flying Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Has anyone ever seen an airplane just come apart at altitude. If so, is it pretty cool to watch?

PS Error, did you ever build that helo yet?

Cool to watch? Honestly, scared the poop out of me. The only thing we seen was a glimmering flash and then before you know it parts started descending QUICKLY! The .40 class engine mounted on the fuselage coming full tilt towards the earth was a death javelin. Fortunately, nobody lost sight of it. This was the worst I had seen an engine come apart. The fuselage and mill went into the ground a few inches. The block of the mill came out in 5 pieces. 5 pieces!!!!!!!

That's what I was wondering. I was kinda pictureing the big wings coming off in mid air and wondering what everything would do as gravity came at it in force. Thanks Christian.

No Problem!

But the Heli's are the ones to fear. The bigger nitro ones. And even big electrics. Those things are NO JOKE!

One gust, one blip the wrong way, one sneeze and you are DONE!

The only thing like that I ever saw was when I flew my 2 meter sailplane into the second story of my house. It was nothing but a shower of balsa and Monokote. I wanted to be sad. But I was the numbnut who flew it into the house. So I ended up laughing my ass off...

Originally posted by Candyman
The only thing like that I ever saw was when I flew my 2 meter sailplane into the second story of my house. It was nothing but a shower of balsa and Monokote. I wanted to be sad. But I was the numbnut who flew it into the house. So I ended up laughing my ass off...
Good descriptive words.

Thank you for reminding me I don't want a plane or helo.

I have since discovered Expanded Polypropolene (EPP). Almost indestructable. I did a classic lawn dart with my Sky Skooter the other day and it just bounced...

If you like the Zagi EPP you will love the XE2!!!

I have been flying the living daylights out of my XE2, crashed a couple of times, and it keeeeeeps onnnnnnnn rolllllin! No canopy either and the ENTIRE wing is EPP! Not to mention, you monokote the whole thing! NICE SETUP!

Fast as all hell too! Without a brushles :thumbup:

Chris, is the XE2 a Zagi plane? I was thinking about flying the guts out of the Sky Scooter and then going for a Zagi Fixx. What would you recommend?

BTW, I am having a ball with the Sky Scooter, but I've already sheared the nose of this thing off 5 (!!!) times in the last week. I really suck at flying right now. Used almost an entire syringe of 5 minute epoxy just keeping this thing together. But when I get it right, it's a ball. Just flying in circles so far. Might try a loop soon. Maybe...

http://www.combatwings.com/xe2.htm

Loops, Rolls, hard banks, inverted flight and so on are all possible with this XE2. And yes, it smashes well but just keeps on going (nothing broken yet!)

Better than a Zagi IMO. The ENTIRE wing is EPP :thumbup: not just the leading edge like Zagi. The Fixx is light light light small small small...... Slow........

Smashes well is a good quality. Because I'm really good at lawn darts... My Scooter is really slow, too but I enjoy it. I guess I'll have to see if I can get to next summer with it and then move up. Thanks, Chris...

And I have another question. The Scooter comes with a 10A speed control. I looked up the specs and it says it's good up to 9.6v. Right now I have a 7-cell, 8.4v pack in it. So I could feasibly step up to an 8- cell, 9.4v pack, right? Do you think the extra 1.2v will add much increase in performance?

I almost missed this thread. And yes, I have seen alot of destruction.

When I flew pattern on the circuit, I was at a meet in NC. One of the FAI (top dogs) was flying his 2 meter 120 size ship thru a 6 sided loop. At the top the radio died. Full throttle strait down from about 300 feet, all the way to the dirt. Half way down the guy just gave up trying to save it (no raido action at all), and watched as it disappeared over a small rise, followed by a muffled "whump". He brought the pieces back in 2 garbage bags.

Another time in Kingsport Tn, I saw two ships meet in midair. One lost half a wing, the other lost the battery lead. The first spiraled in, the other flew for about 1 mile before a tree cought it. Both were write offs.

One time when I was flying at a field about an hour from my house, a good friend forced me to fly his 1/4 scale Utimate Bipe. It was a factory built plane (not an ARF). My buddy, Randy, pointed out that it pulled to the canopy on knife edge. I flew it for about 5 minutes, and then handed him the Tx. I didn't have a good feeling about flying it, and a few minutes later he was doing a knife edge and the wings came off with a loud "BANG". All 4 wing halves did the loop-d-loop all the way down, but the fuse beat all 4 to the finish line. We eventually found all the pieces, and the failure was due to a lack of glue on the top center wing brace. That's why it was pulling to the canopy. That was about the most spectacular one I've seen.

Another time a guy at the local field was trying to sell some old worn out POS heli to some other guy. My dad and I were packing up our stuff late in the afternoon and this other guy was demo flying the heli for a prospect. A loud bang was followed by an engine running WOT and the remnanats of the heli was rolling on the ground doing the dying chicken walk. Apparently one of the ball links on the head came off, and resulted in a serious non flying condition.

I could go on, but this is getting kind of long.

Yes EP, I finished the heli, except for the canopy. And it's a trip to fly. Very quiet.

Whitt...

Last edited:
Originally posted by El Pirata
They make electric planes?

oh and do they ever!

and electric heli's!

I only fly electric planes..........

How much does a decent electric plane run? Do they make rtr electric planes, or nearly rtr?

EP, may all your dreams come via UPS.

www.towerhobbies.com

Chris, the heli EP refered to was a MS Composit Hornet micro electric. Kind of like the Picolo, but with a shaft drive tail. I got it at Debs r/c world when I went bashing with him and Sky.

Oh you freaking blow!!!! I was thinking you had an RTR ready for me to buy and you just link me to tower. Oh well, I have to wait until you finish that project of mine to belittle you.

Man, it could take me weeks to finish that project.:constipat

I figured that you would want to "take your time" just to ensure it's perfect instead of doing it the mook way like I would have done.