Fly Sky Radio good or bad

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys anyone ever used one of these radios and receivers. i was thinking of purchasing one. Trying to upgrade to FM without breaking the bank.

View attachment 12354

Last edited:
Thinking about this myself

transmited from a mobile communications device

the gt3c has issues with intereference from spektrum rx/tx so if u are racing no..

but the gt3b has no issues and if u want a good one, get a hacked version from www.overkillrc.com

Agreed on the gt3b, LOVE it for a cheap radio.

I got the gt3c good radio for the $$$ some people had problems with the power button. I haven't yet....

i have two of the gt3b models and i love them. its nice to be able to make all of your ajustments with the push of a button and they have great range. for forty dollar you can't go wrong. the recivers are dirt cheap also. also you can put ten models on one transmitter.

I've read about the power button issues but I haven't heard of the spektrum interference. I have read that the gt3b and the gt3c share the same firmware so it would seem like they would either both have that problem or neither. I'm not an expert on radios though so if that's not the case I'd be interested to know how that works.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX ^_^

What is a hacked radio why would you hack it. I am sorry about noob questions but as I said in ealier posts I have returned back into the hobby, Am was popular when I was into it years ago.

Okay I think I have decided on the 3gtb older model I guess. It seems after research alot of people have had shorting issues in the power bottons and steering wiring issues on the gtc model. Plus the older unit is like $46 shippedoff ebay and recievers like $10 so I can use one radio for all the trucks I plan on running this summer. Some more questions though, what is this banding with these Fm units. Also whats a simulator cable for on these radio's. I checked out the web site listed in this thread dont see paying what thet are asking just for a modded unit. thanks

I asked this same question about a month back because it was hard to believe a $40 transmitter and reciever could be worth puttin on a $500 rig. eventually i said F it and I ended up buying it for one of my beater trucks. Needless to say the gt3b ended up on my better rigs. Even bought another reciever to run on the transmitter on my 4-tec and my 3.3 Maxx. I have been very happy with it and you can't beat the price. It also has a built in fail safe so that is a plus as well.
I have heard of people saying the receivers go bad. But at $7 a piece that's not so bad I guess. My only fear would be if it causes a run away. I have yet to see ANY problems out of mine though but it's only been a month. It should also be noted that I only do backyard/parking lot bashing NOT racing so I can't speak from that perspective. Bottom line is I am loving it up to this point.

---------- Post added at 9:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:37 AM ----------

Oh and the simulator cable is for connecting the transmitter to your computer. The site gives you a 30 day free trail and you can tune and mod your own cars and drive them around different tracks and actually use your gtb3 transmitter. Sounds really cool but I wouldn't even waste your time because it is that horrible.

Yeah I've been runnign a modded GT3B for about 2 years now and while I have had a couple a RXs go bad Like Devin said theyre like $7.50 ea so I'm not stressing over it. I use the GT3B on all my bashing kits. I have a 4PL for my crawler and I use it if I'm going to race but I dont race much so I generally use the GT3B. There are several different mods you can do to it and i highly suggest the Lipo mod.

The bearing mod is also good if you feel comfortable doing a mod that could potentially ruin your TX if not done properly. When I did it I was like screw it theyre only $40 bucks and tried it. luckily I didnt botch it and now that I've used it for awhile i love how much more smooth the steering wheel turns. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the mod or not because when I did it I had already been using the TX for about 9-10 months and it changed the way the wheel felt. After getting used to it though it is definitely an improvement.

The firmware mod or hack as some people call it is probably the most extreme mod you can do to the TX and one I'm undecided about atm. It allows you to download and install custom made 3rd party firmware to the TX. This can do a bunch of different things and you can read up on what all it can do for you on the aforementioned overkillrc.com website. As he is the guy that sells the hardware and I believe he also is the co-creator of the firmware that is available for download on his website. Some of the highlights of the mod include fixing the EXPO which doesn't work in its stock form. i believe you can make the TX have up to 8 channels by using a shift key to assign multiple functions to the same button. The latency between the TX and RX has been improved in the 3rd party firmware. Endpoint adjustments and Duel rate settings can be given wider ranges past 100% +/- now. And quite a few other things. I really dont use much of the functionality in the firmware which is why I'm undecided on it and EXPO isnt something I've ever felt like I needed for ground kit bashing. The lowered latency isnt something you can tangibly feel when bashing and I wouldnt use the radio for racing not that you couldnt, it just wouldnt be my preference. If your interested in doing the Lipo or bearing mod I have videos on my youtube channel on how to do them. The bearing mod is long but I really wanted to try and give people a thorough step by step walk through since your whole TX is at stake with this mod. Most of the other mods i looked up back then only had very basic info and i kinda had to piece together certain parts of how to do it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umK4Ytgc9Gs"]FlySky GT3B Lipo Mod - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad90G0GpxDc"]Flysky GT3B Bearing mod Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFIK1TwgXo"]Flysky GT3B Bearing mod Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Prob just do the Lipo mod after i get it and get some use out of it. Thanks guys, for all the help.:D

yeah I definitely would do the lipo mod at the least. Its easy and worth it :)

about the radio interference the gt3c was banned by many racing clubs if I'm not mistaken.. I read that on rctech

reasons to hack the gt3b

stock epa doesn't work right
endpoints have some issues I believe, and also the stock firmware is a bit slow.

I don't race just really a basher. So I figure it will work fine for me. I only usually run with my bro's maybe 4 trucks at a time. They all run old AM stuff though, don't know if there would be any interferance with the FM or not.

greywolf what is the highest c rate lipo i could use for the lipo mod? because i have one that is 30c. is that to high or will it work?

You can never have to high of a C rating. It wont hurt anything. C rating is the amount of amp that can be drawn out of it at one time. It doesn't push the amps out. The TX has such a low amp draw you can use really low C rated batteries too if you wanted. I think mine are only 8C

so i could use a 2s or 3s and the capacity and the c rating does not matter?

Just purchased the flysky gt3B and 2 extra receivers. To convert my bashin trucks to FM.

My DX7s uses a 1C LiPo pack, and that is all it needs. The radios really don't draw a lot of current so the larger C ratings aren't really necessary.