First time solder job

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I did my first solder job today, took 2 hours to do 3 connectors. The only one that turned out ok was the last, I think I got the hang of it now but I'm going to redo all of them because I just don't trust them.
Now what do you guys think should I just buy new connectors or reheat the solder remove the wires and and reuse the connectors? I have to buy new wire, and I wouldn't mind one of those helping hands or a clamp to hold the connectors.

I reused Deans connectors all the time if that's what you are referring to.

I have soldering jig that holds them securely while soldering. I'll see if I can find a link to one.

Found it.... www.thejigsup.net

I got my helping hands at Altex and Radio Shack.

If they are deans connectors I would not reuse them. People who are new to soldering tend to put to much heat on the connectors and it melts the plastic inside and then the metal parts themselves inside dont always make good connections after that.

If they are deans connectors then you might want to watch this...
Sorry, I was just getting over being sick in this video so if I seem like I'm struggling to get my words out thats why. I was all hopped up on cold meds lol. If you just want to get to the part about soldering them and you want to skip all of the small "tips" then skip to about 12:00 minutes in the video. i really need to learn how to condense my videos lol.

Last edited:
I'm using deans so I think I'll be safe about it and just pick up some new connectors. That jig is pretty nice, but my lhs sells the helping hands so I'll just get one of them. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to stop at the lhs today after work watch Greywolfs video and have another go at it.

I got my helping-hands at The Source, but I don't use them so much, cause they don't clamp down to the table. I know its not a deal breaker, but when you get up to answer the house phone and nudge the helping-hands off you work bench, and they are gripping a wire thats connected to your ESC you'll know exactly why I don't anymore.

I was lucky enough to be close enough to make a sprawling goalie glove save that caused me to bump into my table with my face, and kick the stool I was sitting on clear across the room with my lead foot as my legs did the splits.

I got my helping-hands at The Source, but I don't use them so much, cause they don't clamp down to the table. I know its not a deal breaker, but when you get up to answer the house phone and nudge the helping-hands off you work bench, and they are gripping a wire thats connected to your ESC you'll know exactly why I don't anymore.

I was lucky enough to be close enough to make a sprawling goalie glove save that caused me to bump into my table with my face, and kick the stool I was sitting on clear across the room with my lead foot as my legs did the splits.

I drilled a hole in the base of mine so I can screw it down to my work bench if I need to. Just an idea

I didn't get a chance to get out after work to pick up the helping hands today. Worked a little later then normal today and then I wanted to get in a quick bike ride before it stormed. I picked up some Deans ultra wire 12awg, and Deans connectors yesterday.

When my father in-law passed he left me all his tools, he was a cabinet maker and with me being an ex machinist/millwright (I know I should know how to solder just never had to before) I have clamps galore. I think I'll be able to figure out a way to hold it down to my workbench.

You can do it. C'mon.
zcRCz.jpg

You can do it. C'mon.
zcRCz.jpg

Lol! Funny thing is that is my exact soldering gun!
I got it done today, now I just have to clean up my wiring then I'm finally done with Jeep Rubicon build.

Lol! Funny thing is that is my exact soldering gun!
I got it done today, now I just have to clean up my wiring then I'm finally done with Jeep Rubicon build.
Not only do I have that very same iron but I also have the exact pick with the yellow handle that she has in her other hand.

soldering should take less than a few seconds each connector... I have used a cloths pin since the 70's never failed and I know they are nonconductive..be careful soldering wires to esc..you can put to much heat to the esc wire lugs on the esc and melt the stacked boards and other electronics in the esc case. I use a hot iron 80 watt with a chisel tip that is clean a good 60/40 flux core solder that is water cleanup. and I add extra flux to solder b4 I solider...I tin all connections 1st