First time racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMawds

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
So I spent a few weekends at the track last season, and now races are starting up this season. I want to race. I've never competed before and I'm not really that good. Still getting a hang of tuning nitro. I have two 8th scales, an Ofna X1 CRT truggy that I purchased second hand and tossed a Werks B2 in. I love that truggy. My buggy was my first Nitro, a Turnigy brand budget buggy that I tossed some money at and it works pretty well now. I likely wouldn't race that, although I haven't had a chance to really give it a full shake down test.

I watched a full set of races the other day to get acquainted to how everything works on race day and feel confident I could handle e-class but I'm not confident in Nitro class. I'm considering picking up a second hand Team Associated 8.2E for about 300 bucks. RTR setup, looks lightly used. Considering a better steering servo and a couple batteries to rotate on a charger I should be in the works for about 450. Then upgrade the motor and ESC when they inevitably die.

That or suck it up and find someone at the track to pit for me, and toss the nitro truggy on the track. Not sure why that makes me so nervous. What do you guys think?

I think you should roll the nitro out on the track dude!...you'll never know until you try

I pulled the trigger on a used but well maintained Mugen mbx6 with e-conversion to 2s, then ordered up some 4s batteries, a mount to fit a 42mm motor, and a 2100 kv motor to convert over to 4s. ESC is a hobbywing unit that'll take 4s power. Seller tossed in a 2s battery with the deal so I'll likely run it as 2s for a short amount of time to see how it works "out of the box" so to speak before converting it.

Ran the nitro's yesterday and while the buggy has tons of power, I ran it into a wall and took out the front suspension rear mount block. Solid hour of people trying to figure out what I did to that thing when I told them I bought it for under 200 bucks. Failed to tell them that the motor costs more than the buggy ;) Ordered up new parts for that. Truggy I can't for the life of me get to run right. I'll start a different thread for some help on that.

Got my Mugen, immediately soldered in the trackstar 2100kv motor and ran it on a 14t pinion with the 46t spur. It'll hopefully meet the track on Friday. Drove it around my house and it ran great. We'll see how much I need to change the gearing. I'm stoked to go to the track and just drive for once. I'm very glad I chose this route rather than converting one of my rigs to nitro, because I really like nitro. I just needed something to run when I'm getting sick of messing with needles and cleaning air filters.

if you get into the electric racing Id eventually go for a Tekin RX8 and about a 1900kv Tekin T8 motor. If you're gonna own the Cadillac of race buggies might as well have the electronics to match :)

I'm definitely a budget racer so it would be rough for me to make an excuse to myself for that kind of expense. I did plan on running a 1900kv but they were out of stock for the trackstar in that wind. It is still a sensored setup and there's a couple people who back to back ran a castle or even the Tekin and said there was absolutely no difference. I'll also hopefully eventually run the electric as a second class, behind nitro truggy but we'll see how I do. I have a lot of hobbies and not a lot of money.

Back