first run after 2 years... advice ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supernitro17

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
its been about 2, maybe even 3 years since I've driven my nitro rustler 2.5. any precautions i should take before trying to fire it up again ? i eventually will be replacing all the bearings and ill definitely be going over all the screws, lubing up some things where i see needed.

anyone have any suggestions of things i should be on the lookout for ? its been a while...

I would make sure that everything is freed up (not binding).
Did you store it with After run oil?
If not,
I'd give it a good cleaning with nitro spray. get the tank and fuel lines cleaned out too.
Get new fuel and batteries, and clean and re-oil the air filter.

if you using an old rechargeable battery pack, I would do a couple of cycles before trusting it.

ditto ^^^^^

go over the screws better safe than sorry

have fun !!

Replace glow plugs...make sure all servos work...I would let it run on a stand for a few minutes to make sure it's running properly and all. Just my preference though.

Personally, I would replace the fuel lines. Get new batteries. Dust that bad boy up. Oil the parts that need it. Tighten everything that needs to be tight. Check for good working radio. Check that all moving parts move the way they are supposed to. Then let her rip.

the reciever is going to be replaced because my dog bit the antenna off while it was sitting. the fuel lines,fuel filter, receiver bats will all be new as well as fuel obviously. i think i might sit it on some bricks and run a couple tanks through (after cleaning out the tank) it before driving it around just to make sure everything is in ok shape.

there was no after run oil in the engine (i dont think... not sure ) i have a bottle of it sitting in my tool box, but can't remember putting any in... the motor still turns over freely when i pull the start.

where would be a good place to look for lubrication needs?

I'm also replacing the rear bulkhead so while I'm tinkering ill take some time to make sure its all tight. just making sure i didnt forget anything important. thanks guys.

its also funny that this was my "beater" truck ... but it was the only one that never really broke... i broke a rear shock tower and bulkhead doing really big jumps with it.... other then that. never had a problem... its also the only rc i have left (but that will change I'm sure... madforce still looks good to me)

actually got do drive the truck today... fired right up. drove for about... 10 tanks... then my friend crashed it. haha.

ran like a champ all day. i was messing with the tuning getting it all back... this bad boy can rip. it makes me wonder if i should bother with a new motor, or just put a pipe on the 2.5...

I'm also thinking of increasing the spur gear for more accelleration, but I'm gonna see how quick i can get it off the line with a good tune... i might go bigger clutch bell for more top end if i can get it to take off right.

how fast would a 2.5 rustler be with a 3.3 or os18 ya think ?? i want FAST... i dont want to buy a jato i want to see if i can make my rusty faster than one. or at least as fast in a drag.