first project! need advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byr1051

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok guys... thanks to you all I've discovered that my new vehicle is an ofna mbx 9.5 with a thunder tiger pro 21r. Its pretty beat up but I guess 'I'm gonna try to get it running again. First thing I guess is the guy at the hobby store says my motor doesn't have much compression and probably wont run in it's current state. So my first question new motor or rebuild? And if rebuild where can I get the parts I need? I'm not gonna be racing this car or anything like that I just wanna play with it with my son. Thanks in advance for any advise.

To do a rebuild you would need a new piston and sleeve set as well as a new set of bearings. Personally, I would think of getting another .21 for it such as a Picco .21.

Thanks. i was kinda leaning towards this option anyways as i can not find hardly any parts for the thunder tiger engine. So i think ill go with new engine. I'm gonna do some shopping around online and try to find a dependable engine. Is picco gonna be the best bang for my buck? any other suggestions. While I am not trying to just throw something together cheap that will just break, I would like to keep this project within a somewhat reasonable budget.

From my experiences OS is one the best mills out there. I've got 2 in my fleet and they're the cvrx .12 and .18. Both motors are almost comparable but I've had my .12 since 2001 and I've got about 3 to 4 gallons thru it and its still going. Others on here will back this up as well as other brands.

For bang for your buck look at the dynamite mach 2 engine line.

I believe the MACH 2 is a .26 engine is it not? I have the original mach 427 in my MBX 9.5 and I had to do some mods to get it to fit.

The OS .21TM is a really nice engine but that engine cost almsot as much as the kit did when it was new. I dont have any experience with any other .21s

For replacement parts I generally go to www.nitrohouse.com They still carry them.

Heres some picks of mine if youd like to see it. Since I put the huge .26 engine with a 18T clutchbell in it mine drank a tank of gas in no time so I modded mine to run 2 fuel tanks in parallel.

577590_379338912113262_560494968_n.jpg

556207_379339045446582_1280461880_n.jpg

392431_379339298779890_190439746_n.jpg

540607_379339435446543_48700676_n.jpg

578284_379339912113162_1994338730_n.jpg

Wow that's pretty sweet man. Mine is not nearly that nice but hopefully it will be going again shortly... and thanks to everyone for the advice. Still haven't picked an engine yet but when I do ill keep the thread updated... I'm pretty new to this so I'll prob keep this thread full of questions to be answered until I get the car finished. Again thanks for the advice and thanks in advance for ur patience while I work my way slowly threw this first one lol

I've got a great deal on a new SH .21 in the sale forums here.

I've got a great deal on a new SH .21 in the sale forums here.

That's cheaper than all the other engines I've been looking at.... is it a pretty decent engine? Sorry I just don't know anything about all this yet

I guess so, never used it. I was keeping it for a spare, then thought about using it for a project, but never got around to using it.

an SH .21 from my limited knowledge of of .21s would probably serve you pretty well. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the SH engines are pretty decent engines. I wouldnt be afraid to try it out.

Sh engines ate great motors my brothder has a .28 and he hammers the crap out of it and it never skips a beat
I've also got an old .32 from a tamiya tnx thats got about 6 gallons through it and shes still going strong
So for the price of them you can't go wrong

ok guys just a quick update... got pretty bored today and curiosity took over, broke out some tools and took the engine off the car and then apart. learned alot. pretty sure i did the clutch shoes wrong tho because they shot across the room in different directions lol. anyways i cleaned bagged and labeled all the parts just to keep everything straight... still no new engine yet. ill probably end up getting that sh .21 available in the forums if its still available (the wife says i need to wait until my next paycheck lol) again thanks for all the help so far guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20120805_121754.jpg
    IMG_20120805_121754.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 108
Back