First Paint Job In Ten Years

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Or thereabouts. As some of you know, the Baja I bought was used, and the body had been laying in a box getting beat around, so it isn't mint anyway. No better time to try something different, and learn something in the process. I know it's not going to be a show paint job, but I masked it off anyway......because it's a skill I'll use in the future, and I'm trying to learn from you guys for that reason. Also, I know I was supposed to paint the outside for the method I was using, but again, the body wasn't perfect, so I'm trying something different, and being the guinea pig this time. From my sneak peek, I think it's going to work, and if all else fails, I can shoot the outside anyway. Third coat is drying now; the box fan along with some old bed sheets covering nearby stuff worked like a champ BTW

rwU8I.jpg

8oP9Z.jpg

I was thinking about doing that blue tape and paper look on my bodies, looks good and I hear has terri... err good downforce lol :D Can't wait to see how she looks in the end

You're an airbrushing GENIUS. You really need to post a "How To" thread on achieving that paper bag effect. I like it more than the carbon fiber or ripped look. :D

^^LMAO

Also, how did I put this in the projects and builds?

Well, I have to say I'm shocked at how well my experiment turned out.

Inside......flat black

7Rt0d.jpg

Hmmmm, wonder what's under there.......

OtlnX.jpg

Mix Krylon ultra flat black, and glossy lexan, and you get.......

h92M3.jpg

Sh9ts.jpg

OOXcK.jpg

G2lbp.jpg

It will get stickered up tomorrow

Excellent job indeed my friend looks great

Krylon? High likelihood that the paint is going to crack and fall off, so won't look good for long. Non lexan specific paint doesn't flex like lexan paint does, nor does it adhere to plastic that well.

I suck at painting, so I went with a simple black/white job. I probably should have laid the black first on mine... would have made the white, whiter.

Thanks guys, I'm happy with it.

Krylon? High likelihood that the paint is going to crack and fall off, so won't look good for long. Non lexan specific paint doesn't flex like lexan paint does, nor does it adhere to plastic that well.

I suck at painting, so I went with a simple black/white job. I probably should have laid the black first on mine... would have made the white, whiter.

I got the tip on the Krylon from one of our paint gurus, it seems to flex well from mounting up the body, which I didn't realize is such a PITA :hehe: The LHS is closed for ten days, and I didn't feel like waiting and paying extra for shipping paint. At least it'll look good in those first pics, and if it doesn't hold, 5B bodys are cheap too, :D

The Krylon ultra flat adheres well to lexan, and remains flexable. I have used it on no less than 5-6 bodies, including my crawler that gets scraped across rocks and only scratches as you would expect. Paint it pactra indy silver on the inside and it adds a cool touch of realism when it does scratch.

but thats what the film dous that you peel off...so the mask wouldnt have really mattered?

Crap, I can't find the front nose cone anywhere in the stuff that came with the car.

but thats what the film dous that you peel off...so the mask wouldnt have really mattered?

Yes, and ordinarily that would be the case, but where my body had been beating around in a box for a bit, the plastic film was peeled back on some of the edges already as well as rubbed through in spots.