Fantom Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rouge

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
As many of you know! Fantom Racing has manufactured electric motors for quit awhile now, and recently Nitro engine's from Fantom have been getting a little attention as well. I felt it my duty to speak to the R.C. community about my expierience with Fantom, as i'm sure there are many of you out there who just dont feel comfortable throwing down money for an Engine that doesn't have a solid reputation just yet.
I purchased a Fantom FR12 2weeks ago. Claimed HP of 1.15 and a max rpm of 41000 with a practical max of 38000. I stayed up late friday breaking it in, it was midnight when i was finished and I was too tired to tune it. The big race was satuerday so I decided I would get there early and make final adjustments on the track. However it just would run on the low end. No matter what I did it was just really sick on the low end. Once she got rollin it was great. I decided to put an O.S. carb on it and it didnt make any difference. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I got a Bad product. GOOD NEWS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!
I called Fantom. Jeff answered the Phone. (I got the impression he is a co-owner but I could be wrong) I explained that I'm no rookie gave him a breif background and he never questioned me. He said send it back. I sent it back. 1week later Troy calls. Hey! Brother whats up. (he says) Not much ( I say ) He asked me what hapened I explained to him that all Eye's were on me at The track because everyone thought I was nuts for not buying a Picco, and consequently It looks as though they may have been right. Oh Hell! no he says. I found your problem It was our fault. The case was Machined so that the holes were offset for the bearings and the crank was being put in a bind. We are sending you a new motor. What do you want. I said just send me another FR12. I was unsure of what carb I wanted so I said Gimmie a slide.
The other day The UPS man showed up and it was my new engine. A brand new FR12, with a slide carb, a spare piston and sleeve, and con-rod, as well as a new spare rotary carb, and a quart of there fuel, none of which I asked for. A letter of appology and a thanks and a good luck at the track and give us a call and let us know how it works for you.

WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE...DIDNT COST ME A PENNY X-TRA except postage to send it back to them.
Also It doesn't run as good as my NovaRossi, It runs better than My O.S. CVR, and runs right with my Picco. I couldnt be happier.
They are also useing an ABS piston and sleeve which is supposed to last longer than the ABC.

I know this is long but if your Considering a Fantom I would say Go for it. I've been into Nitro for 5 years and I work Part time at a Hobby Store. I've seen it all. However Tommorrow I'll probably see something new. People do some crazy ****.
Thanks for Reading.

You should see a hole lot of run time with your Fantom Iv got over 9 gal in my engine (Fr.15) now and it still runs nice. I can tell its starting to get tired but if it runs its not time to rebuild. Its aways nice to hear from a new family member. And yes Jeff in one of the owners:cheerful:

Another one bites the dust...it's good to hear that you are happy with your Fantom. There are some hardcore Fantom fans over here; me being amongst them. I can't say enough good things about their products and their customer support. Welcome to the growing family.

Well guys I gotta have my say hear and maybe upset a few of you even though i dont mean to.I think that Fantom engines are very variable,i had a bad one even though many told me it was bad tuning.I feel that even though you get great cs from Fantom in the U.S i really feel the need for the old saying "Lets get it right the first time around".Just my thoughts but thats the way i feel about Fantom engines.Although i do know of many satisfied customers which must also mean these engines are very capable mills when produced correctly.

I have an RC10 GT that I bash around with and it's my back up racer. The car I race Is an Adam Drake Losi, thats the car I put the Fantom in. I have other cars as well HpI rs4, and a GS Storm
The adam Drake is an awesome car.

Both Christian and I run the XXX-DA
I run mine on the on road oval. Awsome unit.
I have the FR .12 as a backup engine for my .12 TR.

A fun 4 min. race.

Last edited:
WOW. I am impressed with some of what I just read in here. Now that the racing season is over I have been looking around for a new engine. Time to replace the stock engine. Everything that I have read about the Fantom engines have been nothing but praise. I think my mind has been made up that a Fantom 15 will be in my car by the start of next season. :) Who carries the Fantoms for a decent price? I am going to my LHS this weekend to see if they carry em but I think they only stock OS engines.

-JR