Fake O.S. Engines Whats Next :( Whats your thoughts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyoshoBashin&Racing

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Can't help but post on this one. So I was browsing eBay and found an O.S. 21 engine for $90 new. Although the engine looked odd I figured I would try it out. Boy was it a mistake. Should have gone with my gut on this one.

Got the engine and I noticed what looked like the engine info painted or stuck onto the engine side. Odd, as I had remembered that O.S. Engine Model Info was cast into the engine block. Glanced the engine over and on one side it says wow racing the other O.S.. After further inspection, I saw no serial number. I figured maybe O.S. was producing a cheaper model to compete with the cheaper brands. But that's when it happened. The area where the O.S. engine logo and 21 popped off. What i soon realized I was staring at a genuine fake. Whatever company made these motors made an adhesive metal plate and stuck them on the engine.

After doing a little research, I found that there were other sellers online selling these motors including Redcat racing.

I contacted great planes, OS engines support and they were able to verify that I had purchased a fake OS engine.

Attached are some pictures.

Ill add to it saying that it ran horrible too. Couldn't get it to tune right due to an air leak out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_4302.jpg
    IMG_4302.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_8758.jpg
    IMG_8758.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_9617.jpg
    IMG_9617.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 451
Other than the logo itself, it looks nothing like an OS engine. What a bunch of a**holes for trying to pass that junk off as original. Do you remember who the ebay seller was?

File a complaint with ebay and paypal is your best bet.

Already talked to the seller and he told me to file a warranty claim with Redcat. Told the seller that they were fake engines and he said that they are cheaper o.s. engines being sold by Redcat. And my comment to him was "And you're sure about that one. Cause O.S. says otherwise!"

I agree with Rolex...file a claim against the seller and get your money back. Have Great Plains email you a statement if necessary stating that the engine is a fake and use that as proof. Also take a picture of the sellers sale page if its still open if it states that they are actual OS engines.

How crazy! Thank you for sharing this! I have been looking at engines as well and have seen this model listed on Ebay before. Good to know it is fake, a bummer to hear you had to figure it out....

File a PayPal claim right away. In the eyes of eBay/PayPal, the buyer is almost always right so you should not have a problem getting your money back as long as there is money in the sellers PayPal account to get back that is.

File a PayPal claim right away. In the eyes of eBay/PayPal, the buyer is almost always right so you should not have a problem getting your money back as long as there is money in the sellers PayPal account to get back that is.

Got the seller to give me a refund me. I sent them a copy of the email I got from O.S., and their whole tone changed.

Paypal actually guarantees the money as long as they side with you. doesn't matter if the seller has closed his account and taken everything out of it. Paypal will eat the expense if they have to.

You should post the ebay seller ID here too so we all know who to avoid in the future.

Could you please post a link to the auction?